Baclofen Stopped Working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baclofen Stopped Working

I've been lurking these forums for years and now I think I need some help. I have been taking around 150-160mg since `10. My GAD returned a couple years ago. My doc put me on 1mg 2x a day of klonopin. He wants me to ween down on the bac but as we all know it's hard. I'm prescribed 120mg a day but my doc knows what I take. I lowered to 100mg a day for a week or so and it sucked. It seems the benzos don't really help if I lower too much. Anyone have any suggestions? He wrote me a script of Contrave but that may be expensive being no insurance.

Actually this came up recently on my baclofen sub reddit. A user complained that they had a GAD side effect. They have been on baclofen for 5 years. Heres the thread, maybe you can reach out to the person.

01-01-2014 - Indifference reached, success with high dose Baclofen 295mg.

Baclofen prescribing guide

Baclofen for alcoholism - Consolidated Information - Studies, prescribing guides, links

Comment

I'm sure that's him.....
      TerryK celebrates 6 years of sobriety and indifference to alcohol thanks to baclofen

Comment

Originally posted by neophyte View Post
        Actually this came up recently on my baclofen sub reddit. A user complained that they had a GAD side effect. They have been on baclofen for 5 years. Heres the thread, maybe you can reach out to the person.

http://www.reddit.com/r/BaclofenForA..._bac_for_five/
        Lol. This is my post too.

Comment

Sorry that you are experiencing some tachyphalaxis. Tolerance to Baclofen (like you are describing) is not commonly reported - this 25 year retrospective study of spinal cord injury patients showed modest dose increases ranging from 1.62 to 4.99mg/year for baclofen to remain efficacious in treating *spasticity.* I can, however, remember 2 (reputable) cases on MWO, where individuals described difficultly tapering down: drb120 and yoshi12345. Both were after (fairly) short-term use. IIRC, drb120 found it made him euphoric/hypomanic (he would "overdose" to acheive this), was also taking Human Growth Hormone, and ultimately found a doctor to prescribe Gabapentin and Pregabalin to assisted him in stopping Baclofen - Most of the literature and anecdotal reports describe both of those medicines as having a greater tolerance/abuse profile than Baclofen, so I don't know what to make of that, and afaik, he's never been back with an update...

I myself have also been on high dose Baclofen for 5 years; as high as 280 for my switch, over 200 for 3-ish years, to 180mg/day today. The plan is to keep dropping lower, but I'm in no hurry.... more afraid of cravings returning than withdrawal. I find that up or down, slow and steady wins the race (for me). Decreasing by more than 10mg a week is too hairy: I went down 40 in two weeks and had some near panic attacks at the end of week two.

I'll keep thinking and checking the literature on this one......
          -tk
          TerryK celebrates 6 years of sobriety and indifference to alcohol thanks to baclofen

Comment

Working...
          X