Campral

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Campral

I was a bit hesitant to post this as I've jumped the gun many a time thinking I was "cured" on all the other meds I've tried but I thought I'd write a few words about Campral which I'm currently on. Tbh I was always sceptical about Campral hence it being the last out of all the anti-craving or what ever you'd like to call them, meds that I've tried. When you read anything about it you always see that its not fully understood how it works. This always rang alarm bells to me. Also up until recently in was patented so the drug company's were still making a small fortune out of it and I always wanted to see how popular it would still be when them didn't have to push it as much because of generics and the little profit to be got. I've seem it called no better than a placebo. I put this down to the drug having imo very little if any SEs so its like you never really took anything.

Anyway I started on it on the 30th of April after a few months of burning it at both ends and as a result getting thrown out of my place and having to live with my sister. I didn't know if I was blown up or stuffed up I was that far gone, buying litres of vodka (I'm not a vodka drinker) at a time and just drinking 24 hour a day. I dried out for a few days and started the Campral.

Its really hard to explain how I've felt. Its nothing like Baclofen were you can tell your on it as you can actually feel like your on a drug. With me anyway. The first week I think I might have been able to go AF anyway without any help as I knew I'd really fucked up and needed a break but I definitely know I'd have broke sometime in the last few weeks since starting the Campral if I hadn't had it. With me I constantly think about drinking, from the moment I get up to the moment I go to bed. I'm not the type who can wait to 5pm and them hit it. I'm sporadic. I could be out walking and a thought will pop into my head which will snowball and before I know it the physical intense craving have gotten so intense I'm on auto pilot mode to the closed off sales. This is I think where the Campral has worked. I still think about drinking constantly but it doesn't progress to the intense physical cravings that you can't control.

The only SE I can say I'm experiencing is tiredness especially first thing in the morning but I can handle that. Also having been on Baclofen for many months before the having to take pills 3 times per day is no big deal and knowing if I run out or forget them I'm not gonna have a freak out.

I suppose the jury's still out. I've became a sceptic over the years as I've tried them all (drugs) with just some success but I hope this keeps doing what its doing and I can get a few months under my belt and let my brain heal a bit.

The best way I can explain it if I had to is that it gives you a fighting chance against thoughts turning into cravings if yours are so strong that its impossible not to cave into them. I can honestly say that I haven't truly craved since starting and that for me is good going as in a normal day I probably think about drink for a good part of it.

Yes it's not understood how Campral works but here's a revelation - many meds including antidepressants are not understood, they happen to work by pure chance and the theory then follows on behind them.

Yes Campral has very few effects and does not leave you feeling spaced, high or anything like that. I'd also speculate that your tiredness is simply an after effect of your drinking sessions which are only a few weeks in the past.

I really hope this continues to work for you. For me Campral didn't do very much at all.
    I used the Sinclair Method to beat my alcoholic drinking.

Drank within safe limits for almost 2 years

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

Originally posted by YouKayBee View Post
      Yes it's not understood how Campral works but here's a revelation - many meds including antidepressants are not understood, they happen to work by pure chance and the theory then follows on behind them.

Yes Campral has very few effects and does not leave you feeling spaced, high or anything like that. I'd also speculate that your tiredness is simply an after effect of your drinking sessions which are only a few weeks in the past.

I really hope this continues to work for you. For me Campral didn't do very much at all.
      Id agree with both points. No point over thinking something when it's working. Also I'm sure the body takes way more than 2-3 weeks to really start recovering from years of abuse. Apart from a 3 week break earlier this year the most I've went was 4 months in 2008 so I'll bide my time I guess. If all goes to plan the next step is hitting my GP up as it isn't cheap like most meds online. Think I might be getting my own place in the next month or two and I could do without the outlay.

Another reason I want to stay sober. I'm shit scared of fucking things up when I live alone. Bills before beer.

Comment

Working...
      X