My doctor has retired

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My doctor has retired

Hi i am new to this website, although i have been on this site before. I am on Baclofen for 5 years and like many of you it has saved my life
    and given me back a life i did not think was possible. My problem is the doctor who has been prescribing me baclofen here in Ireland
    has retired, and his replacement has at first continued my treatment, but has now decided to no longer give me Bac and wants to try me
    on other Medication, needless to say im at my wits end. Does anyone know of any Doctors prescribing baclofen in Ireland any help or advice
    would be really appreciated.

Try posting in the medication forum? You can always order baclofen online, again advice about this would best come from that forum.

Comment

hes no right to change your medication if its working for you and puts you in no danger, to do so is effectively attempting to undermine your old doctor, which is not the done thing in their profession as i understand it. see another doctor and explain your treatment regimen, that it works and that you wish to continue it as before. your should NOT have to change just because your doctor has!

Comment

Originally posted by Danathos View Post
        hes no right to change your medication if its working for you and puts you in no danger, to do so is effectively attempting to undermine your old doctor, which is not the done thing in their profession as i understand it. see another doctor and explain your treatment regimen, that it works and that you wish to continue it as before. your should NOT have to change just because your doctor has!
        You need to remind him of his hippocratic oath: first do no harm https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippocratic_Oath Just worked for me when i went to a new doctor.
        The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.
        Friedrich Nietzsch

Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better man.
        Benjamin Franklin

http://www.theendofmyaddiction.org

Comment

Oh my goodness - that is so dangerous that he wants to take you off the baclofen - I certainly hope you don't end up coming off of it quickly if you are forced to come off of it.

That can be very dangerous. Here are some links to excellent published, recent medical research showing both safety and effectiveness.

Perhaps a start would be to print them off, drop them off to him and then schedule a 'talk' with him a bit later in the week. Sounds like he needs a bit of educating. I have about 50 more where these came from too...

2015: High-Dose Baclofen for the Treatment of Alcohol Dependence (BACLAD Study): A Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Trial (Abstract):

2014: Utilization of Baclofen in Maintenance of Alcohol Abstinence in Patients with Alcohol Dependence and Alcoholic Hepatitis with or without Cirrhosis

2012: Suppression of alcohol dependence using baclofen: A 2-year observational study of 100 patients

2014: Prescribing Guide for Baclofen in the Treatment of Alcoholism–for Use by Physicians

2005: Complete and prolonged suppression of symptoms and consequences of alcohol dependence using high-dose baclofen: A self-case report of a physician

2011: NHS Guide: Baclofen at a Tailored Dose Reduces Alcohol Use, Craving and Adverse Consequences of Drinking in Alcoholics with Medical Disease due to Alcohol Dependence

Please feel free to message me if you'd like more info - i can give you a few more print outs for your doctor...

good luck!!!

Linda
          Linda,
          Author
          A Prescription for Alcoholics
          http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A1E8YKW

Comment

Working...
          X