NPR Radiolab podcast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NPR Radiolab podcast

Excellent podcast in general to listen to, interesting one here on alcoholic treatments.

The Fix - Radiolab

Thanks, bleep. Terryk also posted this link then closed the thread. It doesn't show Ameisen in a very good light, which is sad for those of us who credit him with the discovery of baclofen, but he was only human & clearly had issues in addition to his alcoholism. It seems the reporter who spoke to him decided on the basis of their conversation that he was a bit unhinged (to put it politely) & therefore did not pursue the baclofen story any further. Even though she was initially interested because her boyfriend was alcoholic. Opportunity lost there to bring baclofen to the attention of the general public, but at least the podcast highlights the abysmal outcome for most untreated alcoholics.

Comment

Originally posted by bleep View Post
      Excellent podcast in general to listen to, interesting one here on alcoholic treatments.

The Fix - Radiolab
      Thanks for the link Bleep.
      The Fix - Radiolab -above in Bleep's post.

Originally posted by Molly78 View Post
      Thanks, bleep. Terryk also posted this link then closed the thread. It doesn't show Ameisen in a very good light, which is sad for those of us who credit him with the discovery of baclofen, but he was only human & clearly had issues in addition to his alcoholism. It seems the reporter who spoke to him decided on the basis of their conversation that he was a bit unhinged (to put it politely) & therefore did not pursue the baclofen story any further. Even though she was initially interested because her boyfriend was alcoholic. Opportunity lost there to bring baclofen to the attention of the general public, but at least the podcast highlights the abysmal outcome for most untreated alcoholics.
      Molly -you are spot on in summary of the podcast regarding Ameisen. It was sad to hear him and I certainly understand the reporter's reluctance to further the Baclofen movement. However, as you somewhat said, his (Ameisen's) interview should not be regarded as a reflection of what Baclofen can do to help some people end their addiction.

Comment

I posted the thread but TK had already posted it so i closed it. May as well leave this one up then if he closed it. I think whats important out of this podcast is that alcohol causes changes in the brain leading to a disease, not simply a matter of will power. The depth to which they go to is quite good also. I found interesting that people who also use cocaine or methamphetamine have it worse.
        01-01-2014 - Indifference reached, success with high dose Baclofen 295mg.

Baclofen prescribing guide

Baclofen for alcoholism - Consolidated Information - Studies, prescribing guides, links

Comment

Working...
        X