Our changing world - new drugs and treatments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our changing world - new drugs and treatments

I came across this new use of baclofen for Alzheimer's Disease. It is being combined with Acamprosate to provide relief for those suffering from Alzheimer's and their families:

I looiked into this because we are caring for a 91 year old blind, deaf lady who has no family to look after her. She can't walk and is suffering from what appears to be dementia. I think it is largely anxiety related however. It's a real challenge as she is also incontginent and the whole thing makes her quite depressed and sometimes hard to deal with. She has a lot of aches and pains so it's hard to say whether she is groaning and rolling her eyes in pain because of a dementia condition, depression, some kind of pain or just a bit of wind in her stomach.

In any event, I think it shows that this re-discovery of new purposes of old drugs his highly significant and that a lot of "illnesses" are actually just a product of neurological deficit, which is why Ameisen was credited with discovering a cure for poly-drug addiction.
    BACLOFENISTA

baclofenuk.com

http://www.theendofmyaddiction.org

Olivier Ameisen

In addiction, suppression of symptoms should suppress the disease altogether since addiction is, as he observed, a "symptom-driven disease". Of all "anticraving medications used in animals, only one - baclofen - has the unique property of suppressing the motivation to consume cocaine, heroin, alcohol, nicotine and d-amphetamine"
Working...
X