Opinions wanted...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mentium View Post
    Just a thought in response to earlier posts suggesting it is a shame to go to all the trouble and expense of starting a new forum for the sake of the conflict originating from one individual here. In actual fact I think a forum about meds and a more focused one on them is overdue - and one that is moderated properly. I tried several times on possibly the most active sobriety forum (SoberRecovery) to start threads about baclofen when I was doing it and almost got banned in the end. They won't countenance straying away from the abstention/AA/group/self denial sort of angle and only tolerate discussions about things like Antabuse by stomping disclaimers all over the place.

Anyway - just to say I think the time for a dedicated forum has come.
    I would have no idea since I have never used any other forum and haven't used meds.

Originally posted by Ne/Neva Eva View Post

It doesn't surprise me that people outside of the meds threads don't understand, though.

It also doesn't surprise me that people who almost solely participate here in the meds threads when there is some sort of contention would do it again. And again. And again.

Apart from disagreeing with NE on ONE thread I have never been anything other than positive when contributing to any meds thread.

I also only became a target for 'your' troll BECAUSE I called him out for his passive aggressive behaviour and put him on ignore (the first time I had ever felt the need to do that)

I was away from MWO for a year or more and came back to share 3 principles as I sincerely believed it of great help to addicts of all sort.

My concern about you leaving was simply that alcoholics arriving here may not realise there is a meds route .......... but if you gotta go then so be it.

Good luck with the new forum.

Comment

meds for addiction - even if you focus on AL addiction now - in time it can become a goto space for all existing and emerging meds!

Keep us posted !

Comment

Thanks Bac4Canada!

Comment

The End Of My Addiction -- this is the title of Ameisen's book, yes? Will that be a problem?

Comment

Originally posted by MeJustMe View Post
            The End Of My Addiction -- this is the title of Ameisen's book, yes? Will that be a problem?
            Yes it is the name of his book. And no, it isn't a problem. I've checked 7-ways-to-Sunday to try and figure out if it's an infringement, if the name is being used elsewhere for any reason, or if it's a copyright issue and it isn't. I hope, should it ever come up, that people see it as an homage to the man, which it is, and not an infringement.

Comment

The first thing I thought when I read the latest on this thread was"copyright issue."

I hope too that people see it as a homage Ne.

Hope everyone's well.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo View Post
                The first thing I thought when I read the latest on this thread was"copyright issue."

I hope too that people see it as a homage Ne.

Hope everyone's well.
                Hi Stevo

My understanding is that copyright relates to the contents of the book therein

To protect a books title will need a Trademark but with, The End Of My Addiction it would be hard to prove a Trademark is warrented (its very non-descript) - but in any case it will be an expensive, lengthy and uncertain process, and you may well be denied trademark protection

Regards

Bacman
                I am not a Doctor - I am an alcoholic.
                Thoughts expressed here are my own, often poorly put together and littered with atrocious grammar and spelling.

Comment

Neva, are you willing to take another look at reddit? my sub is starting to pick up, i get a question every now with active contributors and a lot of lurkers. Reddit gives you stats on how many hits you get, who subscribes to your sub etc. its all free and very easy to setup.

I took another subreddit https://www.reddit.com/r/AlcoholismMedication/ but I havent used it. I think /r/MedsForAddiction might be a good one, I would be willing to help out, or if you wish, I can make you a mod on /r/baclofenForAlcoholism its already helped quite a few people. The other subreddits on the /r/stopdrinking is just filled with AA bible thumpers who won't listen to anything else than their dogma, meetings etc with this cheesy veneer of positivity. I was banned from there for posting about baclofen, go figure. Like the only way to stop drinking is to follow some system that was completely made up in the 1930s when we knew little about the pharmacology of alcohol and its role in addiction. There is also /r/alcoholism but its really a more toned down version of /r/stopdrinking but they are at least a little more open minded. Naltrexone is discussed there quite often, i just shake my head, i have no idea why this sub-par treatment still gets so much attention.

A new sub not so narrowly focused on baclofen might be a good alternative.
                  01-01-2014 - Indifference reached, success with high dose Baclofen 295mg.

Baclofen prescribing guide

Baclofen for alcoholism - Consolidated Information - Studies, prescribing guides, links

Comment

Yes, I'm willing to participate on reddit. Thank you for the offer. I think I PM'd you about it? Or was it just about the new forum?

My plate is full at the moment, but I really want to tie into what you're doing on reddit with the forum and with the Facebook pages I've created. They all go hand-in-hand. (I know you're not crazy about the idea of another forum, but I can't give up on the thing that helped me get sober. I hope you'll participate there, too.)

I'll check out reddit more closely this week and get back to you about it soon.

Comment

Working...
                    X