Baclofen & Neurontin (gabapentin) combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baclofen & Neurontin (gabapentin) combo

New here been lurking for a lil while. Anyways want to share with you guys my med experience. While it hasn't been long it's absolutely miraculous. First let me start with a little history. Been an alcoholic since my first drink. Have always been able to handle it almost super humanly. Been drinking since I was sixteen as often as I could get it which since I was legal 19 yrs now. Started drinking all day long in my twenties when given the chance and for most of that time if I couldn't I'd drink so much at night as to catch up to my dose. So anyway this past summer I was drinking at least 15 beers a day up to 24 again. Waking up to my withdrawal alarm clock after 6 hrs of sleep nausaus and shaking until I could manage to choke down a few beers then 4 beers then 6 beers then off to work cool as a cucumber. Maintenance beers thru the day with plenty of mouthwash and axe body spray in between working 12 hrs a day. Needless to say I had to pump the breaks. Decided to start tapering off. It was terrible. Took awhil just to hold it together I would reduce by two then try the next day and it slingshot back so I found I had to hold to the 2 down for a couple days before I could Lower 2 again. Well I got to a better place and ended up being able to hold at 8 after awhile but when I tried to go lower it would work till I slang shot back up to 15 and started over again. Then I remembered when I my friend gave me some gabapentin 6 yrs ago and that I seemed to not want to drink as much. Hit the Google machine and found out about baclofen. So after much research I went to the doc last Friday. Now I have had some major physical traumas in my time and am pretty well versed in medical lingo that with all the studying I had done on the drugs I went into my appointment with both barrels loaded and compelled the doc to write me a script for both. 60 mg bac per day and 900 for gabby. Started both on Friday. Bad weekend to stop entirely tho I believe I could have but had a scheduled party on Saturday and super bowl on Sunday. Drank both days around a 12 pack each day. Woke up Monday took my doses and haven't thought of a drink. I know everyone says you must titration up but I'm here to tell you it's not necessary for everybody. This has been quite literally amazing miraculous if you will. I'm not sure if it's the combo or what but I have not had a general feeling of well being like this in what seems to have been forever. Anybody else doing the combo mambo? Well that's my story for now I hope to read more of your experiences and will chime in as well. Have great day all!
    Last edited by time2quit; February 11, 2016, 09:48 AM. Reason: Spelling
    The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.
    Friedrich Nietzsch

Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better man.
    Benjamin Franklin

http://www.theendofmyaddiction.org

Hi, Time! Welcome to the forum!

Congratulations! Both on the progress and on getting the prescriptions from your doctor. Quite an accomplishment!

I have heard and read about that combination working for other people as well.

I hear you about the "slingshot" experience of tapering and then getting right back up to where you were. I haven't heard it described like that before, but it's really a great analogy. (Or is that metaphor? I can never remember which is which... ha!)

If you don't mind me asking, what is your goal?

Comment

Hi Neva thanks for the welcome! My Goal Is to get better. at this point ill take what I can get. Better is better after all. I may go ice fishing this weekend. We shall see if that means a few cold ones or not. what i do know that even if i do have a couple I don't see it escalating after that. I just feel way to good! I forgot to mention that Im taking a really good multi- vitamin as well and have improved my diet significantly and am starting a workout regiment next week. So I'm not gonna say I'm never gonna drink again. I'm not gonna put that pressure On myself. Im not into the shame game. btw sling shot is a term from the HAMS network. Have never seen anything on there message boards about any meds. May go back and drop some knowledge on em.
      The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.
      Friedrich Nietzsch

Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better man.
      Benjamin Franklin

Comment

hi time2quit, welcome to the forum

I know everyone says you must titration up but I'm here to tell you it's not necessary for everybody
        it is necessary, have a read of the prescribing guide, my dose required for indifference of baclofen was 295 mg, taking that dose straight away is dangerous. starting off at 60mg isn't so bad though. I think I would manage that since i didnt really get sides < 100mg

prescribing guide:
        Prescribing Guide for Baclofen in the Treatment of Alcoholism-Final Version

As for gabapentin, I've read online that it can help with cravings, but havent looked into it too much, it does help with withdrawals from alcohol though. I've also read that it can cause withdrawals in it's own right, so you might want to look into that and talk to your doctor about it. I know alot of doctors are not aware, or its not widely acknowledged that gabapentin does have withdrawals, but there are some anecdotes online. It would be good to see his thoughts on it.
        01-01-2014 - Indifference reached, success with high dose Baclofen 295mg.

Baclofen prescribing guide

Baclofen for alcoholism - Consolidated Information - Studies, prescribing guides, links

Comment

Withdrawals for baclofen are suppose to be comparable to benzos as well. Not really concerned at this point both of them seem a hell of a lot less benign than alcohol anyway.
          Last edited by time2quit; February 11, 2016, 05:24 PM. Reason: Damn autocorrect
          Friedrich Nietzsch

Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Well everything going great on the cocktail. Ive actually titrated down to 50 mg bac and of we'll see iff it sticks. On my 6th abs day. Actually have a case of beer in the house and haven't even touched it. I've had a passing thought about it but they are exactly that passing. Ive never been able to keep alcohol around and not drink it this is fantastic. Went out yesterday and bought a faux home gym. It is a resistance band contraption that attaches to a door. Gonna set it up and hit it in a bit and jog on the treadmill for as long as i can wish me luck. :egad:

Happy weekend to all! :soapy: Even tho its colder than witches nit and I'm housebound.
            Last edited by time2quit; February 13, 2016, 11:08 AM.
            Friedrich Nietzsch

Benjamin Franklin

Comment

So great to hear! And good for you with the exercise plan! I think that made a huge difference for me the first time I got sober...

Why'd you go down on the baclofen when everything is going so well?

Good luck on the treadmill! I think I'd be hard pressed to do it for any length of time at any speed. :-/

Comment

I decided to stat splitting the pills and taking 10mg at a time i was planning on doing 6 times a day and found that it seems to be ok at 5 times a day on accident. I reserve the right to take more at any time. Doc hooked me up with 3 refills on both scripts so I have access to enough. Speaking of the doc I dropped blood and urine yesterday for an EXECUTIVE blood panel. Sounds so serious. First panel I've had done in ages.... Think I'm gonna get a scolding some time next week. I gotta believe my liver enzymes are pretty chucked.
                Friedrich Nietzsch

Benjamin Franklin

Comment

That sounds like a good plan, Time. Glad you have doc who is willing to help. (Which part of the world are you in?)

Originally posted by time2quit View Post
                  ... an EXECUTIVE blood panel. Sounds so serious. First panel I've had done in ages.... Think I'm gonna get a scolding some time next week. I gotta believe my liver enzymes are pretty chucked.
                  Lol. You never know about the liver. It's a hardy organ for most of us, even after serious abuse. Hope it all works out well for you, too.

Comment

Hi T2T. I use this combo, at about twice the dosage you do. If you can avoid drinking for a good while, I would. I've gone back and forth, and I can still drink a shit ton and get drunk even at a 120/1200 dose. I don't crave alcohol at all, but if I get into a pattern of drinking, it's really hard to pull out of it. So if you are currently out of that pattern, develop some new ones and go from there.

Glad you're here. Good luck on the exercise. That'll help too.

Comment

Neva I'm from Illinois where you at?

DD I'm sure I'll have a beer eventually I'm not striving for total abstinence. Just needed to pump the brakes. Im pretty sure I could get lit tonight and be ok tomorrow as long as I have the meds. I'll tell you what tho i really don't feel like it.
                      Friedrich Nietzsch

Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I'm in eastern Virginia right on the coast.

And I'm with Dun. I'd put off getting lit anytime soon. What can be done can also be undone. I know it all too well.

Comment

Alright guys 7x24 hrs everything level. 50-60 mugs baclofen a dyad 900 mugs bac. Got my blood tests back everything good except apparently I have an infection news to me I don't feel sick son a pac now too. Liver enzymes a lil elevated. To be expected after drinking like I had been well over a hundred drinks a week and was only AF for 4.5 days when taken. I can't believe how much I was drinking at this point. Gonna take another in about a month. Doc says as long as I keep abstaining they should come down and I should be all good. Again thank the universe for the Meds and MWO for helping me in understanding them.
                          Friedrich Nietzsch

Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Great news, Time2! So happy for you. Isn't it a wonderful feeling to be free from booze for the first time?

The liver is an amazing organ. I wasn't drinking as much as you were, but I was still surprised when everything came back normal. I love my liver for seeing me through those dark days without giving up! lol

Originally posted by time2quit View Post
                            Again thank the universe for the Meds and MWO for helping me in understanding them.
                            Amen, brother. I felt and feel the same way.

Comment

Morning Ne! Yes it is quite possibly the best feeling in the world! Fell even better now that it appears I didn't do any serious damage. And hey my cholesterols beautiful normal high and great on low (aint no cholesterol in a heavy fuel diet) ��. Now for a musical interlude. If this don't get your blood pumping IDK what will Hope everyone is well! And remember Better is Better!
                              Friedrich Nietzsch

Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                              X