X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modafinil vs Adderall for alcohol recovery - better focus

Hi Guys,
    Have been doing some research on Modafinil & Adderall and came accross this

Don't know if anyone has tried either on this forum but I think anything that can help overcome brain fog/ boost concentration would be great if you are past the initial 3-4 weeks and still feel not fully recovered . While I don't advocate turning adderall into an addiction (even though it is easily abused),(could help people with adhd) , If either can help get your life back on track for the first couple of months , it could be positive Thoughts?
    Last edited by Neo; February 25, 2016, 09:38 PM.

i've tried both. Modafinil is extremely weak. Adderall I found unsustainable because it often made me feel wired, to the point that I needed the occasional benzo for relief. I did not want to have to rely on an upper and a downer. So I quit both, and found that I had better focus when I was not drugged up with a stimulant and/or benzo. Take it from a 60 year old who has tried every possible short cut out there: if you possibly can, just quit drinking for at least a year without putting any other psychoactive drugs in you!

Comment

Thanks Lex, Just come across some other experiences which a few of these guys had ADHD which it helped . Have read posts from those who don't have it say it does nothing for them .Adderall seems like an option only if you have ADHD

Seeing psychiatrist in 6 weeks so just getting some thoughts + I will be clearer headed by then too before I try anything.
      Last edited by Neo; February 26, 2016, 02:58 AM.

Comment

Neo -I have taken Adderall XR for over 15 years -same dose, same time, every day. Adderall XR was a miracle for me when I first started and remains so to this day. There is the possibility that I would never had become so dependent on alcohol had I had Adderall XR earlier on in life. A-XR keeps my former depression at bay, helps me to focus, helps me to be more calm, and helps to minimize the OCD thoughts. There is no addiction element for me with A-XR, and in fact, I have to set an alarm to remember to take it in the afternoon. What is so strange for me is the fact that A-Xr calms me down and can even sedate me, and then I read/hear stories of people who take it and they 'run a hundred miles an hour' -so to speak.

Comment

Well, I've used to use adderall in the past as using this as a study aid to get through my computer science degree at uni. though unless you have ADD or some disorder that actually requires these drugs, a normal healthy person shouldn't take these drugs everyday, they have side effects and long term changes in the brain i.e. dopamine receptor downregulation. This causes you to feel like you cant be bothered doing anything if you dont have your stimulants. Here is one of the molecules that gives most of adderals effects. In australia they just sell straight dexamphetamine..

Brain fog is temporary, so you really have to consider what you want out of this medication cause brain fog is just temporary. The danger really is that you end up getting addicted psychologically and even physically and like I said the long term changes you will experience, though that is not permanent, but like any addiction, it sucks trying to get to a sober baseline, take alcohol addiction for example.

That said, ive never been more productive with a small dose of dexamphetamine 5-10mg, i could study all day and seemingly more productive, it would make study fun. In moderate use sure, but i wouldn't be taking it everyday, and especially not for temporary brain fog.
          01-01-2014 - Indifference reached, success with high dose Baclofen 295mg.

Baclofen prescribing guide

Baclofen for alcoholism - Consolidated Information - Studies, prescribing guides, links

Comment

Working...
          X