• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Safety reports on the off-label use of baclofen for alcohol-dependence

Hi Folks

Just found:

Enjoy. DonQuixote
    My German forum: www.forum-baclofen.com / My general informations: www.baclofen.wiki

It costs 57 UK pounds to download the article/pdf. Am I missing something?

Comment

Thanks, Don!

It looks like the conclusion on the abstract sums it up pretty well, Mentium.

suspected HDB-induced ADRs should use validated causality algorithms and provide sufficient amount of contextual information for excluding other potential causes. For HDB, the psychiatric history, and the longitudinal description of alcohol consumptions and associated doses of psychoactive substances or psychotropic medications should be detailed for every reported case.

In other words, they don't know what causes the adverse reactions with HDB because no one has really evaluated the other things it could be. It might not actually BE HDB. More studies are needed. lol

Comment

Hi DQ -here is another article re off label drugs:

Alcohol use disorder (AUD), as currently defined in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual, 5th Edition (DSM-5), is a heterogeneous disorder stemming from a complex interaction of neurobiological, genetic, and environmental factors. As a result of this heterogeneity, there is no one treatment for AUD …

From my perspective, it does sound as if treatment options are often times varied depending on the individual. In other words, there is no "single pill" option for everyone.

Thank you for your thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Mentium View Post
          It costs 57 UK pounds to download the article/pdf. Am I missing something?
          Hey Mentium, I sent you a PM with a link to the full-text article.
          -tk
          TerryK celebrates 6 years of sobriety and indifference to alcohol thanks to baclofen

Comment

Originally posted by Spiritfree View Post
            Hi DQ -here is another article re off label drugs:

Alcohol use disorder (AUD), as currently defined in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual, 5th Edition (DSM-5), is a heterogeneous disorder stemming from a complex interaction of neurobiological, genetic, and environmental factors. As a result of this heterogeneity, there is no one treatment for AUD …

From my perspective, it does sound as if treatment options are often times varied depending on the individual. In other words, there is no "single pill" option for everyone.

Thank you for your thread.
            No, that's not what it says. The paper you cite is just a review of clinical studies on the drugs. Some are more effective than others. Baclofen is the most effective. Each drug they report on is being promoted by the sponsors of each study so each study reflects the views of those who are promoting the drug but the stats for baclofen are very good whereas stats for other drugs are not as good, so, no, not all pills are ok. Some are better than others and you have to look at the study results and the theory of how these drugs work.
            BACLOFENISTA

baclofenuk.com

http://www.theendofmyaddiction.org

Olivier Ameisen

In addiction, suppression of symptoms should suppress the disease altogether since addiction is, as he observed, a "symptom-driven disease". Of all "anticraving medications used in animals, only one - baclofen - has the unique property of suppressing the motivation to consume cocaine, heroin, alcohol, nicotine and d-amphetamine"

Comment

Working...
            X