Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any meds/solutions for day drinking?

Hi
    I don't know how many of you drink during the day but this has become inevitable for me when I'm on a binge.

I have such extreme anxiety and fear of withdrawalwhen I wake up that I have a drink, even before work, which made me lose my last job...

I go long periods of not drinking but then usually binge.

Any advice for hangover anxiety?

Thanks,
    DB

Hi DizzyBee,

PM sent.

Comment

A developing theory is that one of the most important causes of alcoholism is the need to depress an existing anxiety. Instead of "alcoholism causes anxiety" it is "anxiety causes alcoholism".

It seems very likely that baclofen is so effective treating alcoholism is because it targets the underlying anxiety.

If you are interested in keeping a foot in both camps you can tell any AA friends that that you are taking pills for anxiety.

Here is THE prescribing guide :-

This is most effective if you keep increasing the dose until the anxiety/craving goes away.

If you simply want to help your detoxing pain your GP can prescribe anxiolitics.

Sounds easy but it isn't due to the side effects of sleepy afternoons and poor sleep. The side effects are different for everyone and decrease with time.

If I hadn't found baclofen about 5 years ago I would probably be dead by now.
      Last edited by Colin; November 25, 2016, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I have taken Topamax and have been considering Bac or Nal. To be honest, I once tried Bac and had a week long psychotic episode, the only one ever, was not sure if it was related but it scared me enough to stop. I've read Ameisens book. I'm also taking Seroquel/Quitiapine, which should really treat the anxiety. I'll read up on Bac again, thanks.

Comment

hi Dizzy,

Firstly i suggest you make this post at General Discussion | Alcohol Medication

if youve been reading the med boards here, all the smart guys have left to the new forum and whats left is spirit/wilison shit posting, its pretty much dead on here. you will get some good avice there. I still come on ehre to help out and dismiss garbage that may lead a new comer dow the wrong path.

as for morning anxiety due to drinking, this is common, theres not much you can do but drink more (dont do this), take a benzo (dont do this). what happens when you wake up is the alcohol wears off, when alcohol is in your system is depresses an excitatory neurotransmitter glutamate, when it leaves your system it rebounds, this often makes people wake up early and have intense anxiety. this leads to the next stage of alcoholism where people drink during hte day to avoid this rebound.

psychotic episodes are a rare but documented occurece when taking baclofen, i wouldnt touch it again unless i was under doctor supervision, i wonder if people who have this side effect can even take baclofen at all.

you might want to consider naltrexone, using the sinclair method, take the pills before you drink and it stops alcohol from binding to mu-opiod receptor which is the same receptor that heroin binds to, it makes alcohol less enjoyable. there are studies showing positive outcomes.
          01-01-2014 - Indifference reached, success with high dose Baclofen 295mg.

Baclofen prescribing guide

Baclofen for alcoholism - Consolidated Information - Studies, prescribing guides, links

Comment

Thanks for the advice :thumbsup: it's very insightful. I will repost, thanks for letting me know.

Comment

Hi DB

I agree with Neo. Naltrexone may be the place to start. Baclofen does help many people with anxiety though. I know it helped me. Baclofen info in my signature, last link. Naltrexone info here: Naltrexone, Nalmefene and Vivitrol - The End of my Addiction

Good luck!
              http://baclofentreatment.com/
              http://www.theendofmyaddiction.org
              http://www.theendofmyaddiction.org/f...or-alcoholism/

Comment

Working...
              X