Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Naltrexone prevent you from experiencing natural highs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings All, Do the drugs like Naltrexone prevent you from experiencing natural highs such as a runners high or a particularly good day???

Hi, Pan, no. from what I understand when I took it some time ago, it blocks the addictive part of the brain to restrain the high from alcohol. When I took it I also didn't care to smoke and they are prescribing it in Canada now for women (they seem to be more responsive to the tobacco) who want to quit smoking.

I asked my doc for it to help me quit, but he told me it wasn't recognized my U.S. insurance companies as a cure for not smoking.
    Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Definitely not. It really only blocks the high from opiates, alcohol, tobacco. What's interesting is that different people process alcohol differently. I'm probably not going to explain this very well, but from what I understand, some people (mainly those who have alcoholic tendencies) convert alcohol more quickly and in higher concentrations into a different form that is recognized by the brain like an opiate. In other words, an alcoholic experiences alcohol in a different (more pleasurable and reinforcing) way than a non-alcoholic. In my experience, Naltrexone has turned me into a 'normal drinker' (at least now while I am on it). I don't have strong cravings for alcohol anymore, I don't want it on a daily basis, I don't focus on it, I don't get overly excited about it if I am going out to have it. I can now have one or two glasses and stop anytime. I never drink alone anymore (only in a social setting and only a normal social level). I also don't 'enjoy' it as much as I used to. This is all a good thing!

As for natural highs, they are all still there. In fact, more so since I am not ever hungover anymore and my brain chemistry is getting back to 'normal'. Now I feel natural highs just enjoying the days w/my kids, feeling good about what I accomplish, enjoying the energy I have. I love it! But, realize that Naltrexone does not work for everyone. Its one of those things you just have to try to see if it will work for you. If you have a history of alcoholism in your family or problem/heavy drinking in your family, it is more likely to work for you. In my case, nobody in my family has declared themselves an 'alcoholic', but my dad drinks a bottle of wine every night and would drink more if my mom didn't give him that as a limit. And, he's done this my whole life. On social occasions, he can easily drink two or more. And, prior to the Naltrexone, I was the same way.

Comment

Curious......

Interesting question PP.

Adagirl, can I ask you something? I was interested to read that you still drink alcohol whilst taking Naltrexone. I was prescribed Naltrexone and I have a big label on my bottle which states "DO NOT TAKE ALCOHOL WHILE UNDERGOING TREATMENT WITH THIS MEDICINE". My question is... were you given the okay to take alcohol with it?

I would be very interested to know this as I find abstaining too rigid and want to be able to have one or two drinks now and again - and if Naltrexone can help with moderation then I might give it another go (I stopped it due to headaches, etc).

Thanks!

Comment

Bluebell;149570 wrote: Interesting question PP.

Adagirl, can I ask you something? I was interested to read that you still drink alcohol whilst taking Naltrexone. I was prescribed Naltrexone and I have a big label on my bottle which states "DO NOT TAKE ALCOHOL WHILE UNDERGOING TREATMENT WITH THIS MEDICINE". My question is... were you given the okay to take alcohol with it?

I would be very interested to know this as I find abstaining too rigid and want to be able to have one or two
          drinks now and again - and if Naltrexone can help with moderation then I might give it another go (I stopped it due to headaches, etc).

Thanks!
          Interesting. My bottle does not have this warning and my doctor knows that my goal is to cut back (not eliminate) alcohol. The descriptions that I've read for this medicine online also say that it can be used for cutting back (not necessarily abstinance). In fact, one study that was done w/Naltrexone suggests that is MORE effective if you still have a drink here or there because then your brain has a chance to re-learn alcohol in a different way (to disassociate alcohol w/the 'high' feeling and create a new association in your brain that alcohol just makes you relaxed and tired).

I think a lot has changed in the past few years as to how this medicine in used. It also used to be that you had to abstain for 5-7 days before taking it. Now, they've learned this is not necessary. And, my doctor never asked me to abstain first. It could just be that your doctor is going by old guidelines for how this medicine should be used.

Now, I know for sure that one thing you should never do w/Naltrexone is to try to drink past the block. Some people will try to drink even more than they used to in order to overcome the Naltrexone. If you find yourself doing that, then you should quit the Naltrexone (in my opinion only). It just defeats the purpose of taking it. You still have to want to be sober. It just makes it a lot easier.

Comment

From WebMd:

Naltrexone Oral Uses
            This medication is used to prevent people who have been addicted to certain drugs (opiates) from taking them again. It is used as part of a complete treatment program for drug abuse (e.g., compliance monitoring, counseling, behavioral contract, lifestyle changes). This medication must not be used in people currently taking opiates, including methadone. Doing so can cause sudden withdrawal symptoms.

Naltrexone belongs to a class of drugs known as opiate antagonists. It works in the brain to prevent opiate effects (e.g., feelings of well-being, pain relief). It also decreases the desire to take opiates.

This medication is also used to treat alcohol abuse. It can help people drink less alcohol or stop drinking altogether. It also decreases the desire to drink alcohol when used with a treatment program that includes counseling, support, and lifestyle changes

Comment

By the way, my bottle does say that it may cause drowsiness and alcohol can increase this effect. I don't feel drowsy on it in general, but when I do drink, the main feeling I get from alcohol now is of being relaxed at first and then tired (not buzzed or high).

Comment

Thanks for that Adagirl!!! It made very interesting reading. I think you might be right re my doctor following the old guidelines. I find that Naltrexone made me very drowsy and headachey. I wonder if those symptoms disappear with perserverance? I tend to just quit as soon as I feel woosy on it. Also, when on Naltrexone, I just tend to lose the desire to drink (the whole purpose of the drug, I know!) so, when I have tried a couple of glasses of wine whilst taking it, there just seems no point! And I therefore, would you believe, feel cheated! I think I am a hopeless case!

Although, I must add, since having my stints on and off the drug, my tolerance of wine has changed dramatically. So, it must be doing something. I have definately lost the ability to get "drunk" I just manage to get very tired. I still want the wine, mentally, but physically it doesn't seem to have any affect . I think I am having trouble with the "lifestyle changes" part along with having trouble coping with the feeling of being "drugged".

I guess this is a long process and just doesn't happen overnight - this I am learning.

Thanks again!

Comment

I am currenlty taking naltrexone and have cut back on my drinking tremendously. When I first started taking it I stopped for 3 months then lately I've been drinking one or two nights only on the weekend. I do feel lots of guilt for still drinking I don't how to stop that. I used to drink vodka everyday, I looked horrible I felt horrible.

Adagirl your right I don't enjoy it as much anymore now I just drink some wine on the weeikend. Some Friday and some Saturday it's easy to stop again on Sunday.

Comment

I know I'm way late in reengaging but thanks to all for the input. Special thanks to adagirl, very informative and encouraging...

Comment

please answer

if you take the 50 mg pill form of naltrexone, does it at all make you feel any kind of opiate high like suboxone and methadone do? please answer this asap only if you know the true answer to this question, i cant find it anywhere, thanks

Comment

I took 50 mg of naltrexone for alcoholism and it didn't make me high at all. I'm pretty sure that naltrexone is not able to produce an opiate high, or any other sort of high. It is an opiate/opioid antagonist and so it actually blocks the effects of opiates like methadone and Suboxone, and also street opiates. Also if somebody who is already dependent on opiates takes it they are likely to end up with severe withdrawals from whatever opiates they have been taking. The drug's effects last for 24 hours or longer, if you take 50 mg, so be sure about your reasons for taking it!

Comment

Working...
                        X