No announcement yet.

Trying to become Real before I become too loose in the joints and shabby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Trying to become Real before I become too loose in the joints and shabby

Does he know that you're an alcoholic?
    Last edited by guardian; February 6, 2023, 12:00 AM.
    -Ian

Comment

Originally posted by guardian;[URL="tel:1819876"
      1819876[/URL]]Does he know that you're an alcoholic?
      EVERYONE knows I’m an alcoholic. It got to the point where there was no hiding it. Plus, it doesn’t work in my favor if the people I’m closest to, by blood, marriage or friendship, don’t know the truth. It was, for my brother, just a slip of the tongue. He lives in wine country. And it’s a huge part of his life. Of course, he’s got the disease, too. But success goes a loooong way….

That said, I’m lying to everyone except my husband since I got out of treatment last year. But they all know I can’t drink again… they just don’t know I haven’t stopped.

good times.

Comment

Ah, the highly functional alcoholic - which in my book means he isn't one. I can almost guarantee I'd find him loathsome in every way lol.

On a serious note - I can imagine that is a bit of a burden. I talked to immediate family about needing to drink on lunch in my car to "keep it together" and they still couldn't accept that I really had a problem at first. We're all functional alcoholics too - all except me - and the denial is strong in my family.
        Last edited by guardian; February 7, 2023, 06:09 PM.
        -Ian

Comment

I'm pretty sure you'd find him loathsome, too. ha. I did for a long time. But lemme tell ya', if there's anyone who has room to begrudge, it's him about me. And while I hear ya' about 'functional' alcoholics, I try to remember there's a bell curve. Some of us need a drink at lunch time, and it's socially unacceptable. Some of us 'want' a drink at lunch time and it's just part of the day.

There's no question in my mind, much as I hate to label other people with alcoholism, that he's got it. I've seen the impact on his family. And I can't tell you how many times he's told me he wanted it gone. But if you live where he does, and does what he does, wine is a part of the equation, unless one goes full tilt. [I sound like I'm making excuses for him, don't I? I suppose I am. What a long way I've come.]

And yes, it's hard to be the one who is full-on dysfunctional. At the very least, it's laced with some understanding, and a lot less denial.

Comment

Working...
          X