What happens if I stop taking topa?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My order for topa has not arrived and I am running out. What happens? Will I have side effects? I am a little concerned. Has anybody just stopped taking it. I am up to 250gms. I has helped reduce my drinking that is for sure but I am hoping when I was on the full dose for awhile I would reduce it more. Can anyone give me some feed back on that? Ange

Hi there,

I'm waiting for my Topa and have not started yet, but I know that you shouldn't just stop taking it where possile. I'm sure one of the more experienced others will be along soon with more info, but I think it's quite important you never run out as it is a bit of a shock to the system to just stop, especially at a higher dose which you seem to be on.

Don't want to worry you though, and welcome to MWO.

Kitty
    Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
    Confucius

Comment

Exactly, it's like with any medicine that your body gets used to. So you should always make sure you have an adequate supply of it.

If you run out, your body will suffer withdrawals, which can manifest themselves in form of headaches, dizzinesses, etc. But again, that depends from person to person. Remember, each one reacts differently.
      Paddy
      Time's fun when you're having flies. - Kermit the Frog - eace:

Comment

I would lower your doses as if you were quiting it. Go down as you normally would go up. That way when you get your shipment you can go back up again safely to your 225. I would never just stop cold turkey since the drug has warnings against stopping suddenly.

By going down slowly won't hurt you as much as stopping cold turkey. Just go back up again when you get your Topa again.
        :flower: Change a life; make someone feel important. ................. ........................ ..................... ........................ ................. ....... sigpic

Comment

Titrate down - do NOT stop taking topa quickly - it is an anti-convulsant drug for epilesy as well as a migraine medication and you could have fits plus other side effects if you stop suddenly. Talk to your Dr.

Cashy
          "Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans" - John Lennon

Comment

Oh dear, well I have been going down as slowly as I can with what i had left. I have two orders in and hope one arrives soon. Thanks all for the advice. I hope I make it. Ange

Comment

my doctor told me I didnt need to titrate down when I went off ( I was at 100mg) she said the dose wasnt high enough to have any side effects. Try to titrate down to around 100mg if you have enough left ( you can lower the dose every 3 days) and then at least if you run out, your body will be used to a lower amount, I wouldnt worry too much though, unless you have any major health issues you will be fine, the reason people should not immediately stop taking it is because it is for siezures---that warning is more for people with siezure so they dont shock their body and bring on a siezure.
              It's not that some people have willpower and some don't. It's that some people are ready to change and others are not.
              James Gordon, M.D.

Comment

Working...
              X