Those With Bi-Polar Disorder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm finally trying to get my shit together. This past weekend I had my first major binge since December, and I realized that I drink because I think I may be soft bi-polar. I made an appointment to see a shrink, but I can't get in until next week. So I went to my physicians today and she prescibed me Effexor. After I realized what it really was, I called her back and asked for something else, and she said that all of them can cause mania???? Should I wait to see the shrink or should I try to take this????
    Goal 1: Today
    Goal 2: Tomorrow

(((((lukalee)))

I have taken effexor. It can and did, in my case, cause some major side-effects. Especially when you go off of them. I would DEFINITELY talk to my doctor if you are feeling uneasy. Effexor has helped many but I know of many, many people personally who did have lots of side-effects.

Sorry I couldn't help stronger, but wanted you to know your question is very valid.:l

Comment

Ask for Wellbutrin. It is not an SSRI and is good for many things such as BP. Although once you see your shrink he may prescribe you a mood stabilizer.

Honestly I wouldn't bother starting Effexor. It was hell on and hell coming off. Wait until you see your shrink - if you can.

Comment

Interesting topic today, hmmm just applies to me I am also bipolar and I take 300mg of Seriquil, that I believe is my I am alive today, how ever at this very minute I am very full of anxiety as my seventeen year old son has run away from home back to San Diego where we are from ( I live in Utah now ) cant sleep a NERVOUS reck so I went to the doctors yesterday and added TRZADONE... Still hardly sleep but it has commed me down.
        My advice to you would be take it and see then go see your doctor

Comment

I forgot to add this part.....I took Wellbutrin years ago to help quit smoking....it made me completely manic. My doctor knew this when she gave me Effexor. I am going to wait it out until next week. Thanks everyone!!

Comment

Karbi, I am sorry about your son. Take a deep breath; everything will work out fine.

Comment

Have you read the posts about BIO FEEDback??They were last week,I think.I saw a TV show about the success of BIO FEEDBACK and BI POLAR around xmas last year.I have a son who is bi polar and wanted him to try it but he refused...
              sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

I may consider the biofeedback. The problem is I only found one doctor covered by my insurance, and he is on the other side of town. But I will definately keep that as an option.

Comment

thanks LUKA, he is a drug addict ( pot smoker ) and I know a drinker behind my back, it really doesnt matter it is ALL A VICOUS CYCLE he just does not see it that way. Drunk or sober he has no respect for me and I just have to accept it. as I sit here with 11 months sober I am very sure that drinking today is just not an option for me

Comment

Lukalee, do not take the effexor. It is very hard to get off of and may not be what the other dr. prescribes and you would have to go off. And if Wellbutrin caused mania, effexor probably will as well. Contact Beatle, she will probably have ideas for what you can take non-prescription in the meantime. I hope the new dr. is helpful.

Comment

Thanks! I hope the new doctor is helpful too!! She graduated med school in '58. I am thinking that is going to be either a really good thing or a really bad thing because of my over the top personality. But I am sure she has seen and heard it all!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I take 100mg Seroquel and Lexapro -- I have heard better things about Wellbutrin ...

it is awful trying to get the right balance and my chardonnay habit does not help matters... I can do two weeks and be a normal person but the other two weeks I am depressed...
                        Tiny

Comment

I might be able to help. Effexor is a very good drug for bi-polar because it is an SNRI, NOT an SSRI such as Zoloft. Wellbutrin is NOT a good drug to take for bi-polars because it will make you manic, just as SSRI's will. If you're looking for relief from your bi-polar symptoms, I think the Effexor may be able to help. There is also another drug that is very beneficial for bipolar disorder which is Lamictal. As with any drug you take, including over the counter, there are side effects. It really depends on the person's body chemistry. Some can take one drug but not another.

Comment

I'm not bi-polar but had the occasion to take wellbutrin which I didn't really care for and had to wean off it. I took effexor for 6 months and had no side effects and quit cold turkey with no problem whatsoever. I guess everybody is different.
                            sigpic
                            Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Very true Greeny!! I am in the field and have seen clients over the past 13 years and yes, everyone's reaction to certain drugs is unique. Some work from one day to the next and some take a month to build up in your system. Everyone's brain chemisty is different as well.

Communication is the KEY people!!! Talk with your psychiatrist/GP whomever and let them know of your tolerence, side-affects, ect...

There are loads of options when it comes to meds.

Then, they have an informed decision and can go from there.
                              Sometimes I wonder...."Why is that frisbee getting bigger?"...and then it hits me.

Comment

Working...
                              X