Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! Should I take a new job while quitting AL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you should do it. I know that my drinking increased dramatically after I quit working. I had an incredibly demanding job and when my husband retired so did I. I was bored and what started as drinking socially quickly turned in to drinking to excess. I think the structure, mental stimulation, and social interaction will help keep you focused on other things than AL. You can do it. Don't be scared. Look at it as a new beginning! Good luck. Gabby.
    Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Comment

I agree that you should go for it. You can listen to the subliminal CD as you drive. Just don't ever ever ever stop @ the liquor store on the way home. After you have done it once, it can easily become a habit. Good luck!

Comment

Sounds like it is meant to be... you started addressing your drinking problem (first by acknowledging it) then this job opportunity comes to you. Have you ever heard the idea that when you begin to make moves to grow that the whole universe conspires to help you?
        FINALLY -- I'm a non-drinker!!

Comment

Good Morning,

I have just had a chance to check back here, and again am overwhelmed by the interest and support shown.

I appreciate the perspectives of all, and I'm happy and nervous to tell you I expressed further interest in the job to the person who offered it. I will have flexibility in hours, and can work 7-3, but it is full time and there is no possibility of working from home at this point.

Nancy asked how my husband doesn't know..........he works a lot, and when home he works here, too. I got used to just draining a wine bottle from about 5 pm until after I put my girls to bed. Most times he wasn't here to see. I also think I am a highly functional drunk! Sounds contradictory and scary, but I have done some things (like cancel an online membership), received a confirming email the next morning, and not remembered one second of it! THAT is scary..... but I didn't tell my husband about that.... I wasn't ready to. Thanks also about the Topa advice..........so many things to consider on this journey!

The biggest thing, besides maintaining sobriety, that worries me is the transition for me and my family. I worry about vacation weeks, summers, etc. just like the rest of the working parent world! I know my kids will adjust, but wow, my husband really has to step up! He is fabulous, but very caught up in his work and community work.

I thank you all again, and will keep checking back. I plan to start my AF journey on Tuesday, September 2nd, and hopefully that will give me a head start before I do work, which won't be until the end of October, at least.

With much hope,

Katie

Comment

Katie,
            I have been working part-time over the summer. I went AF for 2.5 months starting in late January, and now I am moderating. It has been MUCH harder without the structure of work every day. I have learned things about structuring my free time, and that needed to happen, but going to work is easier.
            My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Working...
            X