For Women Only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For Women Only

I've been viewing this site for a couple of years now. I have not stopped drinking but have at least gone days at a time AF. I'm 49 and have been drinking most of my adult life but really to excess the last 8+ years. I had an extensive blood work-up about 2 years ago with everything normal. Last year I started having reflux problems and had an ultrasound, HIDA scan, colonoscopy, endoscopy and they were all normal. Although nothing major, I continue to have weird symptoms here and there and the only thing I know for sure is that I am in perimenopause. Last night I suddenly developed fluid on the knuckle on my wedding ring finger and in the last couple of months had a couple of blister-like hives. Have any of you experienced weird skin or other issues with perimenopause? I have also read that liver problems can cause skin disorders? I am so fearful and obsessed with this that I can't sleep! Please Help!

For Women Only

Hi there,
    I'm sorry, but i don't have a clue what you've got going on there! But I wanted to acknowledge your post all the same. I'm sure someone will be along that is more helpful than I am.
    The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

For Women Only

Hi Roxie, and welcome. I think you may be worrying unnecessarily here. That's not to say you shouldn't be concerned, with any symptoms that may be unusual to you. But seen as you have been checked over quite thoroughly, fairly recently, I really don't think you should worry yourself too much. For peace of mind, book for bloods again. (idoit all the time) Paranoia is very common amongst us here.
      Lead me not into temptation, I can find the way myself!!!

Comment

For Women Only

I meant 'I do it all the time' -bloods. (My space bar keeps getting jammed with kitty fur!)
        Lead me not into temptation, I can find the way myself!!!

Comment

For Women Only

Thanks for the replies. My eyes are fine, although they burn sometimes -- another symptom of peri! I actually have the script for some bloodwork but I wanted to be AF for a couple of weeks first. I know that's stupid too -- what will be will be. I'm driving myself crazy and I don't have any nerves left.

Comment

For Women Only

Roxanne Dearest,I am 55yrs. and going thru menopause and fighting to stay sober.I have some of the same symptoms as you and I am never quite sure which are from menopause and which are just my body adjusting to being AF.See the Dr. and get your blood work up.I think the MWO supps. have helped me in both areas.To stay sober and with menopause(even though i am still having some mood swings) everything is getting BETTER and BETTER...I also take Black Cohosh and LIV 52...
            sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

For Women Only

Evielou, thanks. I've actually been taking supplements from Women to Women for a few months now. I definitely saw a change the first couple of months but not so much the last two. The program has herbal supplements as well but I got scared that they would affect my liver. (It's always about the liver!) Up until a couple of years ago, I exercised religiously but have not had the energy. Now I'm gaining weight in my stomach and I wonder if it's regular weight gain or fluid from a bad liver. I really am losing my mind and there's not much left these days!

Comment

For Women Only

Roxanne -

I am 50 and was in perimenopause for the past two years or so. Never experienced those symptoms but seems with all the tests you have had and new bloods to be checked, would not worry.

Perimenopause is a pain though.....I am happy to be through it!
                Happy to be AF Since 9.13.08

Comment

For Women Only

Your belly weight could be ASCITIES(retained water) also alcohol causes stomach bleeding,so watch your stools for a tarry look.I had Great results from Edgar Carce's Castor oil packs (goggle it) and Liv 52...Also liquid Chlorophyll has HEMO in it and builds blood ,if you are bleeding internally.Once you stop drinking EVERYTHING gets BETTER.I don't think herbs are hard on the Liver...aat least not as hard as AL..Things can get better and if I can do it,I know YOU CAN...
                  sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

For Women Only

Roxanne,

My Mother in law saw her dr. on thurs. Aug. 7th. He did not notice anything abnormal with her abdomen. On sat. Aug. 9th we took her to ER because her tummy had puffed up alarmingly! I tell you this to reassure you, not to alarm you. She was indeed suffering from ASCITIES due to cancer that had mastatised from her colon to her liver. However, this fluid build up was FAST! If you have ASCITIES, when laying on your back, if you punch one side of the abdomen with a finger you will notice a wave action, across the tummy. This is the fluid that has built up in the perenial cavity. Probably not the case for you. But have the liver enzymes checked and a liver function test, just to set your mind at ease.

I had a hysterectomy when I was 38-39. Had never had a weight problem before that. I began to put on weight slowly and was tired. Before you knew it I had gained 50 lbs. I began experiencing acid reflux and many wierd symptoms that you mentioned. I took Nexium - did no good. But when I lost that extra weight, many, many, many things improved. The acid reflux went away and my energy improved.

I don't suggest that you assume it is menopause. Have the blood work done for your peace of mind. Then do a journal of your symptoms. As you chage things (like suppliments, diet, weight) check back on your journal and see what has happened to your symptoms.

Hugs and support, Best
                    "It wasn't all I wanted, but all I could stand!":bigwink: Alcohol free since April 8, 2008

Comment

For Women Only

No one else would really think my stomach is big (waist measurement is 31"), it's just big for me. Of course, I'm worried about ascites but it probably is just from not working out. I just can't get my head around NOT having health problems after drinking for so long. I've been drinking 1 to 1 1/2 bottles of wine per day for many years but it was spaced out through the day and I very rarely felt much more than a buzz. When I watched the documentary posted by Startingover, it freaked me out that a binge drinker could die at age 26 and another was at death's door at age 29. Why not me? I've been going AF for days at a time during the past year, other times having just one or then other times, back to my old ways. I think I've sufficiently scared myself into never drinking again, even though I know I could moderate. As always, thanks for the replies.

Comment

Working...
                      X