Have i made a huge mistake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from UK............we get no help here just told go to rehab. I have bought and am on Nal and finding it okay on day 3. I bought Kudzu rescue and acampral. Nal is not stopping cravings but iam being patient. Should i ever mix these or stick to one and forget campral and kudzu???? advice would be good:new:
    :new:

Maybe try posting your question on this board Topamax, Campral, Naltrexone, Baclofen, other meds - My Way Out Forums You may even find the answer by browsing the posts. I don't take Nal but I do the Kudz & L-Glut. Day 5 for me.
    Growth means change and change involves risk, stepping from the know to the unknown."
    Author Unknown :h

AF - Sept 4, 2012
    10 days - Sept 13, 2012
    2 weeks - Sept 17, 2012
    Slip on the weekend but tried too moderate!
    AF - Sept 24, 2012 (get back on the headaches not worth it)
    Slippery slope Oct 1 ..... Trying to not give up!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Bouncy- I don't think you have read the information that is here on the board properly- Naltrexone has very poor results as an anti-craving med.

It is better to take it only when think you will have a drink- about an hour before.

Go to the search function and type in 'Naltrexone' there are volumes of posts already written about this.

Kudzu seems to work well for some, but not so well for others.

Comment

hi bounce,you also have to watch what you mix with naltrexone,[drugs wise]could be detemental to your health,i havent tried it when drinking so i dont no the affects,like marbs said there is a thread if you want to no more,i just looked the effects up on the net

Comment

Hi Bounce, and a big:welcome:

I'm afraid i can't help with the meds question, but is there no-one/nothing in the UK that can be more supportive than go to rehab?? Family doctor? AA? help lines? I hope someone else from the UK can point you in the direction of something that can be more helpful!

In the meantime, take suggestions from here, read what you can, try and support the medicataion with other 'tools' that can help motivation and the process of recovery (ie lifestyle changes, excercise...loads of suggestions on the site) - and congratulations on taking the first steps to tackling the problem! It takes a little while to sort through all options but you'll gradually find things that work for you and get on the path to a new future! Keep posting, asking, and great to see you here!
          Good luck!
          :rays: Arial

Last first day - 15th April 2012
          Goals:
          Days 1-7 DONE
          Days 8-14 DONE
          Days 15-21 DONE
          30 days DONE
          60 days
          100 days

Comment

Bounce you can get other help. You can find a local AA group or phone someone at AA for advice. Anyone can just turn up at an open meeting and you should be welcomed.

Your GP should be able to help you if you need meds. There's other tablets more suitable to help with cravings if your current approach isn't working and you should be able to get most stuff on an NHS prescription.

Log in here often and ask for any advice you need. You can get masses of support and information. Take care :welcome:
            AF since 19 January with a week's holiday last week. Today is AF day 1sigpic

Comment

The main problem with the UK is most of us don't have private medical insurance - since we pay higher taxes to fund the NHS. If you go to your Dr he may refer you to the alcohol team. This can take up to six months in some areas. The alternative is to pay anywhere up to ?4k per week for residential or private assistance. There are some alternative organisations and charities but they are limited in resources.

AA however can be accessed immediately although they are quite anti-meds.

Comment

to me Naltrexone ( Revia ) didn't make the craving desapear, but when I took anything it made something like an strange ball appear in my gut which tried to deter me from drinking. but the necessity was still there.

on the other hand, Campral did make me not to feel the desire to drink. but if I drunk any it was almost useless, although no side effects.

I prefer Campral, although it is more expensive, and you have to take at least two in your pocket so you can take them anywhere.

good luck

Comment

Working...
                X