Can't get past 48 hours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't get past 48 hours

Wow. What a powerful thread and so sorry about your brother, DB. But such a good reminder that just because you don't look horrible and bloated and turn yellow, you may still be doing terrible damage to your liver and body. That worries me a lot because I have terrible hangovers (not since 4 days ago, however!) and I think that part of it is that I have damaged my liver and can't tolerate the al in my body anymore. Such a good reminder. I think I will print it out and read it the next time I tell myself that I can moderate my drinking. Oh yeah, right!

Comment

Can't get past 48 hours

Hi prancy how are you doing? I was thinking about you. BTW, I do take the milk thistle for my liver and I think it is making a difference. I don't feel as sluggish as I used to. Like you I would have terrible hangovers. I think too that my liver just could not handle all the posion I consumed. Stay well, stay sober, and give that milk thistle a try if you haven't already!
      Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Can't get past 48 hours

DB and UK, first want to congratulate you both on your success thus far in your parallel journies!

DB, I love your observations about what is different for you in sobriety. In the last many years of my drinking, I didn't care about anyone but "me" and "AL." What you describe is wonderful - showing care and concern for others around you and your impact on them as a mother, dog mommy, friend, etc.

I can relate to that fear you describe. The fear of drinking again. The fear of going back to square one with AL and all the attendant problems. That is the very fear that I was feeling when I finally went to AA at about 8 months sober.

I have subsequently learned that fear has been a very big force in my life, and certainly in my drinking. Fear of social situations. Fear of failure. Fear of success. Fear hiding in odd places all over my life. I am grateful to be learning how to face these fears and overcome them as a sober person. A big part of it for me has been starting to explore my spiritual side. I am a long way from having that "figured out" but it's a good work in progress. Another part of overcoming the fear is realizing that in ALL areas of life, I can ony deal with it one day at a time. I have no idea what will happen tomorrow (that is part of the fear) but I CAN live well in today.

More babble for whatever it's worth... Happy sober Sunday!

DG
        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
        Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Can't get past 48 hours

techie, Doing better each day. I'll try the milk thistle, thanks. I also think an alcohol-free liver for a long while might really help!

Comment

Can't get past 48 hours

Hello Everyone....

DG and UK thanks for the continued support. And thank you to all for the kind posts.... Techie, have you tried inositol? (I know here I go again with the inositol!) It is a powder form amino acid and it actually helps to get rid of fatty liver cells!! That is amazing because what I have learned from researching the effects of alcohol on the liver is that alcohol begins to do its damage the moment it touches our lips!! The absorption of alcohol into the bloodstream begins in the mouth!! Once absorbed it travels to the liver and immediately induces damage and creates "fatty liver cells" sometimes the fatty liver cells revert back to normal (yeah liver!) but sometimes they remain and over time harden and eventually lead to cirohossis ~ so where I was going is that inositol can help us help our liver by helping to break down the fatty liver cells! It does make you sleepy though so take it at night and only 1/4 tsp. And of course, one can only expect results if one abstains from al. I didn't mean to get on a soap box about that ~

And so the journey continues: still learning so much about myself. I've been sober for 52 days today. I feel like I am getting to know the real me. What is amazing to me is that I have a good amount of character (go figure!)I just never put it to use because I was drunk or hungover and never spent time with "me". It was all about "al". You mentioned something similar happening to you UK? ... I feel like I am on an emotional roller coaster, so many thoughts swimming inside my head and not trusting myself enough.... and this is how sober people live on a daily basis? Its like DG said, its having to re-learn how to live. Knowing that challenges arise, sad things happen, things don't work out the way we wish they would, people we love disappoint us, we get hurt and just "dealing" with them.... it used to be I would just pop open a can of good old Heineken Light which led to at least 11 more cans and I would get lost in the superficial of al. Then I had to deal with the hangover, laying around for 24 hours ..... I guess having said that, I would rather be where I am now, on this infinite roller coaster as opposed to drunk or hungover ~ so this is life??

~db

Comment

Can't get past 48 hours

Following the my way out plan, I'm still waiting for the cds to turn up and the appointment with my doc for meds isn't till next tues. I've opted for moderation with the plan and have been taking the suggested supplements, as well as GABA calm and Siberian Ginseng. The kudzu I'm taking is much higher than recommended and if I get a craving I take one. I'm on day 4 of moderate drinking, and even with wine in the house, I'm managing to stick to it. I'd cut down from a liter of wine a night, to a bottle without the supplements. If you can't sleep, valerian and kava (sep doses) have helped me considerably.

good luck to you, don't give up giving up and try not to beat yourself up mentally if you fail

Comment

Can't get past 48 hours

DB - come out come out wherever you are!!!!!

DG
                Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Can't get past 48 hours

Doggy,

Did you steal my line? heh heh

Comment

Can't get past 48 hours

Rusty;885430 wrote: Doggy,

Did you steal my line? heh heh
                    I'm evil that way.

DG
                    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Can't get past 48 hours

DG,

Shape up woman!!! HAHAHAHAHHH

Comment

Can't get past 48 hours

I am suffering severy anxiety and weakness due to a seven day drinking binge. Can anyone tell me whether Seroquel will help with the anxiety
                        make the least of the worst, and the most of the best - everyday.

Comment

Can't get past 48 hours

Hi Jess,
                          Sorry, i don't know. That's a heavy med i think. How about a long relaxing bath, some camomile tea, and some chilled music? Or should you see a doc?

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Can't get past 48 hours

Should improve with a number of AF days, of course if you are in severe withdraw than a Drs visit is essential.

Comment

Can't get past 48 hours

Jessie,

Seroquel is a heavy anti-anxiety med. It may help with the anxiety from the withdrawals but I don't think (I am no doctor or pharmacist) that it will help with withdrawals.

As UK says, if you are having heavy withdrawals, a visit to the doctor is required. I am sure you understand the risk of seizures or stroke from withdrawals.

I am glad you came back after this last binge and perhaps it will be your last one. :l

Cindi
                              AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Can't get past 48 hours

Thanks for every respons. UK, Guitarista I spent about 2 hours on an IV drip in ER. The doctor was very kind and understanding. He thinks I drink because of the loneliness in a country where I can't speak the language.
                                I've missed 4 days of work and if I get fired it might be the best thing for me as I'll be forced to go home. But I'n scared at the same time. Cinders, this was the worst I've ever felt. I pray it will be the last time.
                                make the least of the worst, and the most of the best - everyday.

Comment

Working...
                                X