Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice, a.s.a.p.

Hi to anyone who is reading this,

Long story short- I am in my mid-thirties, have a long history of AL abuse, but I always could maintain a job and my sanity to some extent. Well now I am moving across the country to start a PhD program and quitting my job, leaving behind family, boyfriend, friends. I started taking anti-anxiety meds due to panick attacks and what not. Deep down I knew it was the AL as much as my circumstances. Was forced to quit job a couple weeks early and I am feeling deeply ashamed about that. As of now, I am off the meds that build in your system, ran out of short acting meds too. I have been having horrible waves of anxiety, lack of appetite (and therefore energy), occasional vomiting, all that fun stuff.

I am ready to quit drinking regularly. I have been at it every day and I am pretty sure my body is in full revolt. I am worried though. Do I need to taper down from my at least 6 drinks a day habit? How can I feel well again in the shortest amount of time here?

Any supplements suggestions, I have some from a previous attempt. Ugh, I need to get out this hole, be myself again, and fast.

Liath
    Liath

Need advice, a.s.a.p.

Hi Liath,

It's Rusty, your Wisconsin friend. Depending on whether the 6 drinks a day were hard liquor or wine sometimes determines whether you get withdrawal symptoms or not. It also depends on how long this pattern of drinking has gone on....for months, or for years? Your symptoms do sound kind of like withdrawal symptoms to me, although I have never experienced them. Do you feel comfortable seeing your doctor and asking about possibly doing a home detox to help with anxiety? You might try tapering down if you think you can limit your intake to drinks per day. Some people find tapering back impossible. One thing is for sure, AL will not help your situation....it really won't. I am so sorry about your job and I know you must feel ashamed and sad, but you're off on a new adventure (a PhD, good for you!) and life will probably be better if you leave the AL behind you.

As far as meds, I've used Naltrexone and Baclofen and they were very helpful in helping me become AF. Believe me, I never thought about living an AF life but it's pretty good for me!

PM if you need any more help. Good luck with your journey....you have a lot on your mind right now and I know oh so well that it isn't easy but absolutely worth it!

Rusty

Comment

Need advice, a.s.a.p.

Thanks Rusty and Zen,

I am afraid it really is withdrawls (probably to the AD AL cocktail--yuck!) But my hands are shaky and I feel just awful. Its a combination of things, I am sure. The stress, the drugs, the AL -- all in combination. I may be in the clear on the job thing, my Doctor seems willing to fill out a leave of abscense form for my final days, so I am not 'technically' burning bridges. I am sure some people will think the worst of me, but I have never felt so bad in my life!

I am leaving for LA tomorrow morning, to spend a few days with my sister. We are going to the spa, having AF evenings, going to eat right and maybe lay by the pool. I need to get to work on school stuff too! It does not help my situation that I am leaving and everyone wants to go out and celebrate my new life.

I knew I should have cut way back on AL if I was going to take those meds. This should be a time to say good bye and experience my old life to the fullest.. instead I can hardly get out of bed! Thanks for listening! I hope it gets better soon!
      Liath

Comment

Need advice, a.s.a.p.

Hi Liath,

I wish I could help when it comes to ADs.....I have only taken them briefly and that was a long time ago. I do know that my doctor said, "No drinking with these." Ugh, you poor thing. Regarding, everyone wanting to celebrate your new life....ask them to help you toast your good fortune with sparkling water.....you are turning over a new, exciting leaf of eating/drinking healthy like they do in LA! I am happy for your new opportunity.

I sent you a PM a little while ago, too.

Comment

Need advice, a.s.a.p.

Laith, I honestly have no idea about the effects of six drinks a night and mixing them with ADs but if in any doubt I would seek professional advice. It is hard to even guess about the AL end of things dependent on the quantity and strength of the drinks, never mind the medication And remember everyone is effected differently and tolerances can vary greatly. Look after yourself and dont take any chances.
          Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Need advice, a.s.a.p.

Laith - I've done it, although I only got off the xanax (twice) and now am trying to get off the AL. Seriously, it takes 3-4 days and worse nights, then you'll feel much better. You can go to the store and pick up herbal calming remedies to take the edge off, although it won't make a big difference (valerian, kava), it may help some. For nutrients that are calming and also very rebuilding, Tryptophan (an amino acid) should help with the tremors. Magnesium is calming, but it can cause diarrhea, so be careful. It's a supplement we need alot more of so it may help you long term with your mood/health. Take it with calcium and vitamin D, both will help you feel a little better and are really good for your calm and your bones.

Hang in there. This too shall pass. On to bigger and better things, really! And as my Pop says "don't let the turkeys get you down" .... if I could erase the time in my life spent regretting and feeling shame, I'd have 10 years less stress showing on my face.

You are better than you know. After all, you got into a PHd program and no matter how much you may downplay it (you are, in your mind, right, as you read this?), it ISN'T easy and not everyone can do it.

Most of us here are really smart and just have coping skill challenges, and use alcohol to self medicate (or so I've read). So the first step to feeling better is to stop condemning yourself and start feeling good about your accomplishments. Then maybe you'll feel well enough to get through this detox and arrive in the program in better shape mentally and physically than you ever expected!

I read in Roberta Jewel's book (I think it was hers) that one of the biggest impediments to successfully quitting is believing you cannot. So I remind myself of the little choochoo that went up the big hill saying "I think I can, I think I can" and made it UP the hill no problem. Say it, you can, you will, you are making a change. It will all be okay.

Comment

Need advice, a.s.a.p.

My suggestion would be to stay on the anti-anxiety meds for now. They will help keep the anxiety down while you go through your quit. The meds will be given a chance to work once the alcohol is out of your system. Then once you are comfortable with your quit, then wean yourself from the meds. Trying to do it all at once will send your body into a tailspin and the repercussions can be horrible. Just my thoughts ...

SK
              AF since 1/2009

Comment

Working...
              X