Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Obtaining Baclofen in Australia....(also posted on the MEDS forum)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone had any experience of this? My GP gave me a (kindly) but unequivical 'NO' when I asked him. Even with Naltrexone, in order for a GP to prescribe it, (a) the patient is required to be on a recognised treatment programme and (b) any presciption has to be 'On Authority' from the PBS (Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme) bigwigs. I do (vaguely) remember reading somewhere that Naltrexone CAN be privately prescribed by a GP though.

I'd much prefer in-house private clinical rehab., (yes, been through it before), but previously all I had to do was phone the clinic and I'd be admitted the same day. Now, the person has to be assessed (1 week wait) and then another week's wait for an 'admission' date and, of course, on top of that, the rehab. period - minimum 2 weeks. I just can't afford the time off work. Besides, my job is 'sensitive' - and if my my employer found out about it, I'd probably lose it (Im sorry, but I can't expand on this point).

I've absolutely no idea what to do or where to turn to now. I had thought about taking high, front end dosages of benzos (which, paradoxically, the same GP has no qualms about prescribing). On the upside if I can go 2/3 days AF, I cease having alcohol cravings, strangely enough. The cravings change to 'sweet' cravings - tea with condensed sweetened milk, ice cream, chocolate etc.

FWIW, my current fall from grace has happened after three
    years of total abstinence. There's a lesson in there.

All suggestions will be graciously welcomed.

I don't have recommendations Expat, sorry, just writing to say HANG in there. Three years means you can DO IT AGAIN. You're way ahead of many of us, esp me. In the US, you have to order it internationally bkz DR's are not allowed for insurance purposes to think outside the box.

Comment

Working...
    X