viciously unhappy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

viciously unhappy

Lily, depression and anxiety are something i deal with daily, its a struggle and a fight everyday but try to treat it as a challenge, you are pitted against really hard things everyday, beating it can be an accomplishment you can be proud of, and everyday you make it through you should be proud of yourself. Based on this thread youve been sober for a few months...thats one hell of an accomplishment that you should be VERY proud of. Look back at how many days you fought and won, you are obviously a strong person and can beat this. A decent therapist is out there for you and I know you can beat this, if you have any questions or need anything please msg me.
    Say, Mr. Fields, I read in the paper where you consumed two quarts of liquor a day. What would your father think about that?
    WC: He'd think I was a sissy.

Comment

viciously unhappy

live and lern

chartreuse_lily;1039283 wrote: Thank you everyone for your concern. It really helps to know there's someone listening and taking my problems seriously.

Regarding supplements, I do take L-Glutamine and omega-3 as well as evening primrose oil and I exercise everyday no matter what (actually that's a whole other problem-- I'm really pathologically eager to get rid of the weight I gained during the last three months of drinking).

Kimberely-- I really wish we had a Crisis Team sort of thing in the US. Unfortunately around here you're pretty much on your own (don't get me started on American healthcare, especially mental healthcare. I've been in a pitched battle to get competent treatment for the past 15 years and I'm one of the lucky ones, I actually have insurance.)

Breaking_the_cycle, I think my mother and boyfriend have their own ideas about what's best for me which unfortunately are based on what's best for them. My mother hates hospitals so to her the idea of me being in one is much for upsetting then the idea of me being sick and unhappy. As for my boyfriend, he thinks the best treatment for depression is smoking pot. I probably should have known better then to expect either of them to look beyond their own agendas at what was best for me.

Again, thank you everyone. I'm not good but I'm better today and your caring really made a difference.
      h iLily, look at the brighter sidew,you ve realised there is a diffrent approach to everything,it s odd,how i can after 2.5 years of being here i can relate to so many people,i was the happiest guy in the world until depression struck me,PANIC ATTACTS, at the worse form,my many psychiatrists said,or most of them,:upset:we can wollow in self pity or try to escape the unreality of the worlds thoughts,it is ver hard at times,we have to make the best of what we ve got,i was wondered why the nutty people looked so nutty,they were looking at the ones who thot they were normal,:Hhahahaha,i m glad you found here,i hope you get some peace within,i have gyco

Comment

viciously unhappy

i still hae to check my spellinghahahaha

Comment

viciously unhappy

but then i m grampa duck and gettin older hahahaha

Comment

viciously unhappy

depression

Hello Chartreuse

We live in a society where everything has been medicalized including depression. I first want to say that there is probably a huge range of experiences with depression and treatment should fit the individual. Having said that, I think a lot of people benefit from longlasting talk therapy and that medication is not really the answer. How do you talk to yourself? What is your relationship with yourself? If you are very self-critical you are going to be unhappy and looking for an escape. It's definitely something you can work on though. The booze is a temporary solution but there are physical reasons it will leave you more depressed after not to mention the psychological reasons it will leave you more depressed. Group therapy for binge eating will probably help you also. I seem to remember reading somewhere else you had an issue with that.

Comment

viciously unhappy

Nancy,

I do have trouble with binge eating, bulimia and in the past anorexia. When I was living in Chicago I went to an eating disorders group twice a week for several years and I really made a lot of progress. Unfortunately there's nothing like that around where I'm living now. I really miss it.

I am very self-critical and hard on myself. That's something I'm working on changing especially since I stopped drinking. I'm trying hard to focus on the positive changes I'm making rather than beating myself up for having been a drunk for so long. I'm also trying to be gentle with myself about the 20 pounds I gained while drinking and concentrate on leading a healthy lifestyle rather then being driven to lose weight. However, I'm not sure how good a job I'm doing.
              Alcohol Free since 11/29/10!

Comment

viciously unhappy

making changes

Well the good news is that the solution is within yourself so it's manageable. It's also bad news that it's within oneself. Because we are always seeking some kind of external explanation and/or solution, including medication whether prescribed or socially legal drug (alcohol) or through relationships, what other people think of us to make us feel ok.

Focus on the good that this is something within your control. But how to tap into that? Make a concious effort to treat yourself well and don't beat yourself up. And if you can't find an eating group near you, find one online. We do have the power within ourselves to beat this.

20 pounds is not very good but it could be a lot worse. Stop the damage now.

Comment

Working...
                X