Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scared about everything the bitch of falling though the cracks (long)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, you wonderful and generous people...please allow me to ramble on.

I've kept a 'stiff upper lip' for a long time and need to vent. Please be gentle in your responses because I've really been hurting.

I'm scared to answer my phone, or fight back for things that I know I should, like bill someone for services I did for them because they weren't happy with it the first time around (and it was resolved to their satisfaction). Or, in another situation, having to take a business to small claims because they made me purchase proprietary software for them, and then reneged on the employment deal.

I have such a long 'to-do' list that I don't know where to start. My house looks like hell... it is like the 'paper bomb' exploded. And the dish bomb. And the cat pee bomb. And the laundry bomb. I finally mowed my lawn after three weeks. It was destroying itself, which was a poignant metaphor for what I'm doing to myself.

I'm trying to find help for mental/alcohol issues, but it appears that my husband and I fall through the cracks due to "prior income". Obama (and I'm REALLY left-wing) let me down because his policy said that the unemployed in Michigan can get funding for schooling. I checked into that, but it appears that it is based on LAST year's income, not our present one. Based upon that theory, I'm also not eligible for food assistance, mental health or substance abuse care, etc., etc., etc.

I'm looking for a job after getting terminated from my position where my employer broke a contract with me. Fighting that in court, too. I have nightmares every night about him. Another employee tried to commit suicide under his rule. He's a really crappy human being, that's dragging the company down.

The company challenged my unemployment, then that was reversed by the State so I received unemployment. Then the company challenged the decision and won. I am appealing, with pretty solid evidence on my side. (Thankfully there was a free advocacy group in my area who researched the decision and provided me with a case that was virtually identical to mine.) We'll see how that goes.

So. Because of our last year's income, I cannot get medical assistance, counseling, food assistance, or anything. We burned through my (cashed out) 401k and all of our savings. We're about to lose our (rented) house.

Employment? Well that's pretty much a no-go in the state of Michigan. I'm executive-level, and temp/temp-to-hire agencies won't touch me. I'm looking in other states, but that is a slow, arduous process. And so, with 24 years of experience under my belt, we may be out on the street before too long. I tried to start my own business, invested 4 grand, and have no bites whatsoever. The list just goes on and on.

Alcohol: well, I've always been a problem drinker. Genetically, my family has "livers of steel". It's all in my head?behaviors and habits for me. No shakes, no DTs, none of that. Panic attacks, yes. Other physical/physiological problems, no. Problem there is that I cannot afford Campral, nor Antibuse, nor my anti-depressant meds (Wellbutrin, primarily).

Depression? Like I said, today was the first day since I was terminated around April Fool's Day (how ironic) that I totally lost it. I can't believe that a woman, once so strong, has declined in mental health and stamina to this point.

Why don't I believe in myself? Why am I letting my ex-employer still invade my dreams every night, and my thoughts every day?

I guess I am not looking for absolute 'fixes' in writing this, just a sympathetic ear and encouraging advice.

As always, thanks for being here for all of us going through troubled times.

Nichau
    "The Pessimist complains about the wind; the Optimist expects it to change; the Realist adjusts the sails."

—William A. Ward

Nichau, I am so sorry you're going through all of this. It sounds overwhelming. I don't really know how to encourage you other than suggesting that you try to break things down into small chunks and handle them that way. Can you do any kind of freelancing?

Other than that, I would just say that I know alcohol would only make things worse. I can't imagine trying to sort through your issues with a hangover (and alcohol is expensive to boot).

Anyway, we are here for you - hoping things take a positive turn for you very soon!

Comment

Hi Unwasted,

Thanks so much for responding. Yeah, it is overwhelming, and I'm surprised I haven't crumbled before now. A good cry really does well for 'rebooting' the brain!

Yes, alcohol is costly in many ways; mentally, financially, physically. I hope to give 'er a go again tomorrow...I think today is pretty much shot.

But!

Two weird things have happened since I wrote a short time ago. First, a life-long friend called me, and in our conversation I said "this too shall pass". She said, "that's weird...that's the third time I've heard that in the past week." After we hung up the phone, she started thinking of how she could help me out financially?a gift, not a loan, which I will ALWAYS fight not being the recipient of, on principal. She was thinking maybe she could float $200. As she was thinking about our conversation, her daughter came up and gave her 2 one hundred dollar bills for something that her daughter owed. Freaky, eh?

In the meantime, I was writing a lady regarding a freelance gig which was declined due to cost. She contacted me for Illustrator and Photoshop training. I gave her my fee. She declined, and said she had 10K going out the door for her daughter's funeral (27 years old). I was in the process of writing her back when my friend's phone call came in. I told my friend that it was wild because I hadn't yet sent the e-mail that said: " I believe that regardless of our own personal circumstances that we get paid back tenfold in helping others. I would love to help you out on this project if you'd like."

Thanks so much for your comments of encouragement, advice, and support.
      "The Pessimist complains about the wind; the Optimist expects it to change; the Realist adjusts the sails."

—William A. Ward

Comment

Nichau, that's amazing - I'm thrilled for you even though I don't know you. Somehow the universe seems to take care of us and I do believe in karma. If you're a good person, good things will come to you. It may take a while, but if you just live your life right, it will happen.

I leave tomorrow for a 9 day vacation, so I'll be out of pocket. I will check on you when I return.

I do hope you'll try AF - it will give you a clearer perspective in all facets of your life!

Best to you!

Comment

Hi Nichau, I know how you feel. We got swept right up in the bad economy as well about 4 years ago. We moved to a different city, different job for my husband and I really thought we'd have a really great life in this new city. It's been quite the opposite. We own two houses that we can't sell and are worth less than we bought them for. My husband s job is hanging by a thread because with the cuts in government spending on scientific research, no one can afford to pay anyone anything. We would had done so much better staying put in his previous join. But hindsight's 20/20.

Anyway, just wanted to say I totally understand and hang in there, I am trying to as well.

I just read this and decided to edit because I realize that our situations aren't the same. My husband still has a job, however tenuous his position is. Even though we are dipping into savings to maintain 2 houses, we aren't yet on the brink of being kicked out. I feel like saying I understand was insensitive and I am sorry. I hope things pick up for you. There are just so many people hurting. The one business that has picked up however editing the recession is.... You guessed it, the liquor business.

Comment

Thanks for your kind words, looking for peace.

Hope you guys will hang in there, too. It's nice to know that I'm not alone in this!

Hugs,

Nichau

—William A. Ward

Comment

Cool! I can get a job at a liquor store! Whoo-hoo! :-)

Feeling much better this morning. Took my first Antabuse (again). I'm paranoid that I might get freaked out, though, as usually happens. Have a counseling appointment at 2 today...that should help!

—William A. Ward

Comment

Hi Nichau, I really feel for you because you are going through heavy, nerve wrecking things. I went through a terrible 6 month period and lots of bad things happened ( lost my house, was homeless for 6 months and had to float around family, daughter had major break down etc.etc.) I was on the verge of cracking up completely. But somehow everything passed and I think these things keep us humble, non-judgemental and stronger.

I hope every thing works out very well for you.
                make the least of the worst, and the most of the best - everyday.

Comment

Nichau,

I just wanted to say thank you for sharing. I know it is said that we are not given more than we can handle. I know you can get through this. By the sound of it you are an incredibly strong and resilient woman. I am thinking of you. I wish you well!

Ive learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends on our dispositions and not on our circumstances. -Martha Washington

Comment

Hi Nichau...I feel for you...and have had similar stuff over last 18 months as Jessie and yourself...got somewhere to live with my son 6 months ago and am getting steadier...I look back and wonder how it;s happened and how completely low and broken I'd got....very slowly in little steps it's getting better....I feel very battered and bruised...but I am getting through....please stay strong, take any help and support you can...even if it's just an unexpected smile from someone...and take care of YOU...words arent much help sometimes I know...but am here if I can help at all...x
                    ...peace and quiet....and a cup of tea.....heaven:h

Comment

Thanks everyone,

The counseling appt. went well...we're going to work on me starting to like me and believe in me again. Assertiveness training...TOWANDA!!!

Feeling better and cutting out the AL has helped tremendously. (Doesn't it always? I wonder why I keep going back to it only to find out it totally sucks [just like last time] and then quit again?)

So many difficult circumstances for many of us! Hope you're all doing well this day...I hold all of you in my thoughts and prayers.

—William A. Ward

Comment

Working...
                      X