125mg of Antabuse this AM, a slug of Nyquil tonight - OOPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sh*t, I just swallowed a gulp of Nyquil and then started feeling a little funny, and realized there is ALCOHOL in the stuff. Totally forgot. I have a horrible chest cold and feel awful, the Nyquil was really for medicinal purposes.

I took my first Antabuse this AM, only half a pill, so it should be 125mg in my system.

Just chewed up two benedryl to try to ward off any reaction. Gees. This alcoholism crap is dangerous even when you're not drinking.

Anyone have an opinion regarding what comes next tonight? Its 9pm and I was hoping to have an early night and not be awake feeling like crap or having an ER evening.

I think I'll be okay since I only had half a dose and this was my first dose day, and the Nyquil has some alcohol but I don't know how much it takes to have a reaction.

Thanks in advance.

Okay, here's what I found on the internet:
    Drug-drug Interactions:
    • Contraindicated in combination with alcohol. The alcohol-disulfiram reaction can cause flushing, headache, nausea, vomiting, tachycardia, and in very rare instances, cardiovascular collapse and death. Common advice to patients: ?You?ll wish you were dead but it won?t kill you.?
    So I'm sure I'll be fine, just super tired all of a sudden. Nyquil and benedryl combo. I'll be back online if I have problems so I'm sure I'll be fine. I'm not having that flushing reaction.

Comment

Hi Brun,

I have never taken antabuse but I know some people who have. I think reactions can vary. I know of reactions simply from using alcohol wipes such as the ones used in nursing. However, there are also people who dont react at all to such small ingestions of ethanol. I guess that you just need to keep an eye on yourself and if you start to feel ill, call someone quickly. Do you have a helpline of some sort over there?
      Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
      Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Bruun,

Hope you are okay - please check in soon - lots of folks concerned here. Hopefully you are sleeping soundly and if that cold doesn't get any better, might want to check with your doc.

Feel better soon!
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Comment

How did you get the antabuse?

Comment

Jaxees, you can order Antabuse from River Pharmacy online.

Bruun, let us know how you're doing.

Comment

Hope you made it through without the reaction. Some of the stuff I have read suggests you try drinking on it so you will know how sick you will get. I did and you sure wont drink much!!

Comment

I have never tried drinking on antabuse, but the one time I went off it for a planned drink I had the flushing reaction. Never tried it again, as that scared me enough.
                Wally22:confusedmonkey::confusedmonkey::confusedmo nkey:
                If I don't want to brag but I can still wear the earings I wore in highschool
                November 2, 2012

Comment

the effects are almost immediate.. flushing and heavy chest ... like feels like a weight sitting on your lungs.. but it passes pretty quickly... depending on what and how much you drink... but as far as a gulp of nyquil i think your ok.. if you don't feel anything by 30 minutes its fine
                  caper
                  AF since Sept 2013...
                  :alf:

Comment

Brun
                    you ok??
                    AB makes you flush and get really hot and your heart race some,, but from what you told us I think you will be fine...
                    let us know ok??
                    I love my family more than alcohol.:h
                    Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

I hope you are OK too Bruun. If there was going to be a severe reaction, you should have felt it almost immediately. I did a no brainer too after a few days on 250 mg AB. I used some spray breath freshener that contained AL. It had no effect at all.

Please let us know that you are OK though.
                      Ginger

You are here:
                      sigpic

Comment

Thanks for all the support and concern, my friends, I am fine afterall.

Went to bed soon after posting, could NOT keep awake. The two benedryl plus Nyquil just put me out. The benedryl took care of the flushing quickly, probably because I chewed it as soon as I felt a reaction. Then it was just the rotten chest cold. What a monster this one is.

Sorry to cause concern, I'm still hung over from the benedryl/Nyquil combo, but that's about the extent of it.

Thanks for being here for me!

Comment

I'm sure you'll be fine. When I used to drink, I drunk a bottle of wine on Antabuse. I didn't care if I died tho at that time of my life. Anyway I got a terrible rash and felt god awful but that was it. Don't worry yourself but you do need to be careful!! Hope you feel better soon! Have an early night xx

Comment

You can bet I will! Thanks Michelle.

Comment

Glad to hear you're okay Bruun! I heard another side effect is real sleepiness, so I guess you had that one as well!

I'll remember to clear my shelves of any of that cold medecine stuff!

Comment

Working...
                              X