Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie worried about withdrawls

Ok Here I go.
    I have been drinking a bunch for the last 6 months. It started with wine but now I have progressed to drinking about a fifth of gin a day. I can't afford to go to a treatment center or a detox center at this time.
    I am worried about seizure's and the other things that will come with stopping drinking.
    Does the beer taper work? With what I have written here what do you suggest.
    I have tried to quit in the past and have had some success but have always come back to drinking after a time. My main concern at the moment is to stop drinking a fifth of gin a day and taper off slowly. The holidays are hard for me but I need to do something.
    I won't bore you with what has brought me to this place but it has been a rough couple of years. deaths in my family, put mom in nursing home, got robbed at gun point in my own house, so on and so on.
    SO IS THERE ANY HOPE FOR ME HERE FOLKS?

Thanks Robert rednose

A bit about me. I am 58 and have drank most of my adult life with stopping on and off, mostly off. Last night I blacked out and had an argument with my girlfriend on the phone and I don't remember one word about the conversation other than what she told me. Yes she said I was quite the asshole, No big surprize. I have tried AA and it did not work for me. I went to a treatment center for 30 days to get sober and was drinking 6 months later and I was 20 grand poorer. I don't have insurance that will cover a treatment center and I really think I need to figure this out my way.
    I am hoping for some support here and I want to be of support to others. So if you see something here that you can relate to or some words that might help It will be greatly appreciated:H
    All things in time if I am Alcohol free

Hi Rednose, and welcome. My story is very similar And my history. The drinking accelerated after older kids left home, news of death of father, whom I hadn't seen since childhood, death of mother 3 months later. Plenty more majorly stressful events at the same time.

I have never been to a rehab/detox. I went to AA on and off for years. Many, many people there had gone to treatment centers, some several times, all of them ending up in AA in the end anyway. Thought I would save myself the money, which I didn't have anyway.

AA didn't work for me either, as I had hoped. Constant relapse, in spite of all the meetings, sponsor, Big Book reading, steps, etc. I did eventually find a meeting I liked and felt comfortable in and went daily. There was a daily noon meeting, with pretty much the same people. It took five years, but I finally got two years of sobriety. Then I blew it and have been struggling ever since. Today is only day 16 for me.

I also read Dr. Joan Larson's "Seven Weeks to Sobriety". You can get it at the library. I implemented her recommendations at the start of what turned out to be my two years of sobriety. I believed they helped alot. She takes a nutritional/supplemental approach which has worked for me. (Unfortunately, I also took up smoking after 20 years, but it provided me with a crutch when I was upset, to go have a cigarette instead of a drink).

I lost 30 lbs in two months, after cutting out sugar, white flour, most grains, fruits, etc. The main thing being to stabilize blood sugar. The low glycemic thing. I felt great and was doing great. Kept the cravings at bay, too.

Go over to "Just Starting Out" and check out the Newbies's Nest. Lots of support, there. People in all stages of recovery. There is a great link, today, on the Newbie's Nest, from a member named Kuya. It is really an excellent, comprehensive article on alcoholism. Very informative. Read that, and read as much as you can of the postings on this forum. Join us in posting what is going on with you. So many kind and supportive people here, as I'm sure you will discover by reading.

As far as the detox. I have been through some truly hellish withdrawals, the last being the worst, in that I used to bounce back in a few days, but this one went on and on for over a week. I thought I would never feel better. More wear and tear......being older.....more damage over time? If you are able to call your doctor, ask him/her for something to help you through the withdrawals, especially some valium. Only one or two of my withdrawals had any medical support, but it can be dangerous to go cold turkey. I once got a prescription for 10mg valiums, 3 times a day, just enough for a couple of days, and it was the difference between hell and a comfortable withdrawal.

Mostly I've just done cold turkey, using whatever I could; tons of water with fresh lemon in it (re-hydrates and alkalinizes the system and helps detox the liver). I would take a GABA (with B6 added for absorption), a relaxer, l-tryptophan, another relaxer, the green drinks helped. Vitamin B....l-glutamine is supposed to help cravings, so is kudzu rescue. (Amino acids should be taken on an empty stomach, but lemon water is ok)

There was one time when the above was not enough and I didn't have access to a doctor. I did the 'poor man's detox'. I tried to get through day 1, but was shaking so much, I thought I would go into convulsions. Wine has always been my drink of choice, so I didn't get that, but I walked to the nearest liquor store and got a couple of large, dark beers. I nursed those all day, as if they were medicine, just enough to keep the shakes and sweats at bay. It did work for me, that time. I was much better the next day and was able to continue on alcohol free (AF) But this approach can be a slippery slope...

There are so many threads to read on MWO, advice and feedback on meds and supplements, there is the MWO book and cds. There is a toolbox, with lots of strategies and advice, (which is always linked with some of the senior members signature lines , if you can't find it). (I'm not good with a computer, or I would post those links here myself). Good luck Rednose. So glad you are here!
    AF since 12/2/12
    http://hamsnetwork.org/taper/

Comment

Here is the link from Kuya:

Alcoholism & Other Addictions a useful link summarizing nutrition, alcohol and deficiencies.
      AF since 12/2/12
      http://hamsnetwork.org/taper/

Comment

Working...
      X