Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't sleep!

Hi everyone,

I am so tired right now. I'm averaging about 4.5 hours of sleep these days. In my drinking days, I could always fall asleep easily (I.e., pass out). Then I would wake up in the middle of the night, be awake for an hour or two, then fall back to sleep until my alarm went off.

These days I can't fall asleep until 11 or 12 and I still wake up in the early hours of the morning and can't fall back to sleep. Plus my sleep is fitful and not a deep restful sleep. I can't go on like this. When does the 'good sleep' start?
    Well it's all right now. I've learned my lesson well. You see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself.

I can't sleep!

Siren,

I completely understand. I suffer the same issue when I quit drinking.

There are several homeopathic remedies you can try and, in my case, my doctor has prescribed medication for me to help. My doctor knows I am an alcoholic so she is careful not to prescribe a medication that I can get addicted to.

Sleep gets better and better over time but I have found that around five weeks after the last drink, one night you will go to bed, wake up the next morning and realize you have had a full night's sleep and it is more restful and rejuvenating than you have had for years.

Until then, use whatever you have to use to help you get some rest, as exhaustion can be a huge trigger for drinking.

I am not there yet, myself, but because I have done this before, I know that good sleep is coming.

HTH,
    Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

I can't sleep!

[QUOTE=Cinders;1449039] around five weeks QUOTE]. :egad:

Thanks, Cinders. I can't wait 5 weeks. I'm not sure I'll drink but I'll be psychotic.

My doctor previously had me on Ambien, but I would only use it on nights when I didn't drink in a vain attempt to somehow preserve my liver (oh the lies we tell ourselves). Instead of having an alcohol hangover I would have an Ambien hangover - not much better.

I have a couple of OTC sleep aids but last night I went without and it was awful. I'll be back on something starting tonight.
      Well it's all right now. I've learned my lesson well. You see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself.

Comment

I can't sleep!

Hi Siren

In the beginning I was the same- I was using nytols and several glasses of wine to go to sleep pretty much every night. Amazing I am still here!

I used those hypno CD's a lot!! I did use them during the day and then I started using them at night. Many times I was so tired without realizing it, that guys voice just knocked me out!

Now I listen to my books on tape and drink mint tea or hot chocolate before bed. I still wake up early but now my first thought is is, "wow! I didn't drink last night...:yay::yay::yay: I swear that's true

Give that a try:l
        On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
        *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
        https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
        https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

I can't sleep!

Siren:

People have used melatonin, Benadryl, valerian... Just don't drive if sedated.... Prolonged insomnia is not healthy. And there are prescription sleep aids that are not addictive besides ambien your doctor can prescribe too.
          Alcoholic (or Ally)

"Only a fool knows everything.
          A wise man knows how little he knows."

Please feel free to block/ignore my posts through your control panel.

Comment

I can't sleep!

Siren,
            I use Melatonin and relaxation CD's every single night. They calm my brain down and let me fall asleep. You're right, when you were drinking you weren't really sleeping, you were passed out. It's hard for your body to adjust, but it WILL...just be patient.
            :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

I can't sleep!

These are all good ideas that have been posted. A warm bath and some warm milk are the only two things I could add. I can tell you it does get better quite quickly. Everyday in every way my life improves now that I no longer drink alcohol!
              Sober since Sept. 24th 2012 This time 4 SURE!
              https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-3162-30074.html Newbies Nest
              https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html Tool Box
              https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/what-plan-how-do-i-get-one-68554.html How to get a sobriety plan

Comment

I can't sleep!

hey siren,i take a supplement called mid-nite it has melatonin,lemon balm,camomile and lavender it dissolves on your tongue and works pretty good to get you to sleep,staying asleep is another matter i tend to wake very early like 3 am,the product says you can take another if you wake up but that kinda scares me as i dont want to oversleep,however last nite i should have had another cuz i woke at 2 am! i can definitely feel it,i feel crazy lack of sleep has got to be the number one thing to put you in a bad mood,i hate it!
                I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

I can't sleep!

paulywogg;1449306 wrote: hey siren,i take a supplement called mid-nite it has melatonin,lemon balm,camomile and lavender it dissolves on your tongue and works pretty good to get you to sleep,staying asleep is another matter i tend to wake very early like 3 am,the product says you can take another if you wake up but that kinda scares me as i dont want to oversleep,however last nite i should have had another cuz i woke at 2 am! i can definitely feel it,i feel crazy lack of sleep has got to be the number one thing to put you in a bad mood,i hate it!
                  Pauly, Look what Happy Hippy found on Ebay...Midnite for Menopause 28 Chewable Berry Flavor Tablets | eBay and I ordered some too! YICKS...does that say MENOPAUSE??????.........lol
                  Sober since Sept. 24th 2012 This time 4 SURE!
                  https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-3162-30074.html Newbies Nest
                  https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html Tool Box
                  https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/what-plan-how-do-i-get-one-68554.html How to get a sobriety plan

Comment

I can't sleep!

Hi Siren

My sleep issue preceded my drinking problem but it's not too severe, so I've always relied on OTC meds and supplements rather than prescription drugs. What's been most helpful for me is diphenhydramine (OTC sleep aid, probably similar to the Benedryl that Ally mentioned), time-release melatonin, valerian, and tryptophan (not all at the same time!)
                    The tryptophan works better if you don't eat any protein before or after, but do take it with some OJ or something else sugary.

I've also heard that Calms Forte works for some people. Good luck!
                    AF since 6JUN2012

Comment

I can't sleep!

oh yeah i forgot about calms forte! i usually take 3 to get to sleep and if i wake i will take 1 more,i like the midnite better though cuz it works faster,also i used to use sleepytime tea it worked but there was a grogginess the next day i couldnt shake i dont like that feeling
                      I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                      Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

I can't sleep!

Hippyman;1449308 wrote: YICKS...does that say MENOPAUSE??????.........lol
                        You are OK. It's the plural form of manopause.

Comment

I can't sleep!

Thanks for the suggestions. I've tried melatonin in the past. It works for a while and then doesn't. Time released melatonin is interesting. I've also read that if you use it too much your body stops producing it, so not sure if I want that.

I was so tired last night I'm not sure I needed anything, but I tried zzz-quil (a sleep aid by the makers of Nyquil). I slept like a rock - again, I might have without it anyway.

Comment

I can't sleep!

Rozerem is a prescription med working on melatonin system, I don't know if your doc has tried that for you?
                            Alcoholic (or Ally)

"Only a fool knows everything.
                            A wise man knows how little he knows."

Please feel free to block/ignore my posts through your control panel.

Comment

I can't sleep!

pixie;1449322 wrote: Hi Siren

My sleep issue preceded my drinking problem but it's not too severe, so I've always relied on OTC meds and supplements rather than prescription drugs. What's been most helpful for me is diphenhydramine (OTC sleep aid, probably similar to the Benedryl that Ally mentioned), time-release melatonin, valerian, and tryptophan (not all at the same time!)
                              The tryptophan works better if you don't eat any protein before or after, but do take it with some OJ or something else sugary.

I've also heard that Calms Forte works for some people. Good luck!
                              My understanding is that the melatonin should be non time released to give you a 'hit' of melatonin that sends you to sleep.

Time released is steady release ....better for lifting mood rather than sleep

Comment

Working...
                              X