Need Grocery Store Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Grocery Store Help!

Sonnenschein, I posted in another thread elsewhere about a friend/colleague who has been a lifelong teetotaler. He has come to parties at my home where he has been the only sober person and still remains the life of the party. Alcohol isn't, and has never been a part of his life. It's completely irrelevant to his lifestyle. And he still has a great time and is the life of the party. In his mind there is no association between social gatherings and alcohol, an association I am trying to unlearn myself.

I know others may disagree and I know it may sound contradictory to what I just said, but I always make sure to take some non-alcoholic brew with me to social events where I know there will be drinking. People know that I was a bigtime lush, and I just don't feel like answering the inevitable, "why aren't you drinking?" questions. I just take my Claustahaler (which incidentally is a German non-alcoholic brew), pour it into a glass, and people see me nursing a glass of foamy amber liquid and no one is the wiser. Hopefully, one day people will forget that I was such a lush.

Comment

Need Grocery Store Help!

Everyone's advice is spot on MS.

I will add a thought...... Which I posted a while back. The part of you that wants to buy the booze is your ego, your spoilt child. For years you have been a poor parent to this child and every time she had a tantrum you gave in and bought her booze.

They put chocolate and booze next to the checkout .....why? Because parents with real children, adults with an untamed inner child will give in to the tantrum and buy it.

Getting sober is about growing up IMO and becoming a good parent to ourselves.
      When you get to the checkout watch how YOUR inner child tantrums and even starts to cry to get her way. Then laugh kindly at her and say NO firmly and MEAN IT.

The relief when you walk proudly out of that shop will make you smile.

The next time will be easier ( but NEVER go with an empty stomach)

Comment

Need Grocery Store Help!

hi mein,i agree with kuya ignore that spoiled child! what happens when you tell a child "no you cant have any" they keep throwing a fit so you give in and let them have what they want,they learn no doesnt mean no,lets control our spoiled brat "NO definately means NO!"
        I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
        Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Need Grocery Store Help!

Thank you all for the support and advice! I am going to think of today, February 1st, as a new beginning. I will not give in to the spoiled child anymore. I do need to start parenting myself, because I do not want to go through my entire 30s as a sick drunk. People who know me also know me as a "lush" and I would really like to have a better reputation.

I just bought a juicer so I will start keeping fresh juice on hand at all times, so when I start to feel down and depressed I can put something healthy into my body rather than poison.
          Would you like you, if you met you?

Comment

Need Grocery Store Help!

I used to just pretend it didn't exist.

Once the cravings went it didn't bother me any more, and there are lots of ways to remove cravings - long term abstenance, meds, 12-step all sorts of things.

Was annoyed the other day when someone said they'd never bring alcohol into my house, well apart from the fact it'd sit in the cupboard for months or weeks I couldn't see why not - they know how far I've come, that I'm ok with it! Spoiled child again.:H
            I used the Sinclair Method to beat my alcoholic drinking.

Drank within safe limits for almost 2 years

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

Need Grocery Store Help!

Hi Mein Sonnenschein

February 1st was my day one as well. Let's do this together!

I'm using the strategy of making fresh juices as well. The first one today was carrot, celery, beetroot, apple and ginger and the second one was watermelon which I mixed with mineral water. My body won't know what's hit it!
              There's two ways of looking at the holes in your shoes
              You can dig the ventilation... or you can sing the blues

I didn't come this far to only come this far.

Comment

Need Grocery Store Help!

Sonnenschein, I just got back from a trip to the grocery store. I intentionally took a stroll down the wine and beer aisle. I even stopped to check out a craft beer display (I used to brew beer). Then I got to the end of the aisle, turned, and wasn't even tempted to look back. Ten days into this, it's become obvious to me that the pleasure of an alcoholic haze is completely illusory.

Comment

Need Grocery Store Help!

I know this was an older post but maybe someone can relate... When your atvthe check out, Have a look some of the guys and gals buying AL. I was checking out behind this man with a bottle of tequila this afternoon. He looked very...wizened and rather nervous. The only other thing he was buying was a pack of sausage and some other thing I couldn't tell...

I don't know. It just looked a bit pathetic. I felt badly. But I used to due the same thing sometimes...though not tequila which I hate- wine or rum.

Anyway, that helped me tonight, :l

PS: my grocery doesn't sell the AL By the candy or check out (well the section is in the front of the store when you walk in) but they now put bottles of wine by the deli or by the vegetables . Also they put baskets of little spritzer and wine bottles in random aisles...
                  On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
                  *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
                  https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
                  https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

Need Grocery Store Help!

Mein Sonnenschein - can you get your groceries delivered in Germany? Here in the US we have Amazon Fresh, and many of the large supermarkets will also let you place your grocery orders online and then they bring them to your house for a small delivery fee. Could you do your shopping online, while reading these discussion threads at the same time for support? :-)

Comment

Need Grocery Store Help!

In Pennsylvania, to get alcohol, you have to go to the State Store for spirits and wine, and to a beer distributor for beer/coolers, etc. Luckily the grocery stores don't sell it. I am dreading the day when they do. I remember back in California, you could fill your tank and buy a sixpack at the same store! Temptation just sucks. Alcohol is everywhere. I wish I just had an "off" switch where nothing would even tempt me.
                      February 27th, 2013. A New , Successful Start. :h

When everything seems like an uphill struggle, just think of the view from the top!!

Comment

Need Grocery Store Help!

Waggie -
                        You have no idea how many times I had to suddenly go get GAS (and run in and buy a 12 pack and ciggies too!). It's everywhere...all day, every day.
                        One time I was at the liquor store and the lady in front of me was probably 10 years older than me and she had her 18 pack of beer. I was behind her with my 12 pack. I thought to myself "That's me in 10 years (or less)" It wasn't a pretty sight!
                        :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Need Grocery Store Help!

I used to be annoyed that in Canada (mostly, Montreal is a bit more liberal) you can only buy alcohol in liquor stores. Maybe we are very lucky here that it isn't quite so accessible.

Comment

Working...
                          X