Having a pretty tough time today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't had a drink in close to eight weeks. I am dealing with some issues that just seem insurmountable today. I have been crying a lot and I just really want a drink to numb the thoughts. My husband isn't as supportive as he has been and I don't know where else to turn. I don't want my kids to see me like this but I don't know how else to deal

I felt the same way after my dad died a few weeks ago. But I couldn't juggle work, planning a funeral and settling an estate without clarity of mind. Every time I thought about taking a drink, I just remembered that doing so would inevitably put me out of commission for at least two days and I can't waste two days right now. I agree, being clear-headed sucks a lot of the time. But you just can't be productive without it.
    In the middle of my life's journey, I found myself in a dark wood, as I had lost the straight path. It is a difficult thing to speak about, how wild, harsh and impenetrable that wood is. Just thinking about it recreates the fear. It is scarcely less bitter than death, but in order to tell of the good that I found there, I must tell of the other things I saw there. --Dante, paraphrased

Comment

Lizann;1498338 wrote: I haven't had a drink in close to eight weeks. I am dealing with some issues that just seem insurmountable today. I have been crying a lot and I just really want a drink to numb the thoughts. My husband isn't as supportive as he has been and I don't know where else to turn. I don't want my kids to see me like this but I don't know how else to deal
      Hi Liz

Sorry you're having to deal with difficult issues. I can identify with your wanting to have a drink to numb thoughts. I was there on Friday past and didnt have a physical craving for a drink as such but just wanted to numb my thoughts and feelings. To not 'feel' anything for a while, to escape..

Am thankful to say i didnt go there and came home and tried my best to examine those feelings and thoughts from which i wanted to escape. They're not nice but they sure wouldn't have been any nicer come Sat morning if i had drank. Plus i would've just thrown away 4 months AF.

Well done you on coming here and posting your feelings, fears whatever, and crying is good:l and good job on your 8 weeks

Can you ask yourself some questions, like will taking a drink help you in any way overcome the issues? How will you feel in the morning if you do have a drink tonight? Can you do something else now instead of taking a drink? Like take a walk or a nice bath? Call a friend?

Sending you some strength and hugs xx

Comment

Keeping you both in my thoughts - it's freakin hard. I am 60 days today (after being 11 months and failing) so I understand. I fell off after all those months when my sister fell into a coma. I was a mess. And was MORE of a mess when I started on the wine again. Drinking will only mess things up Lizann. Take a bath, have some herbal tea and cry if you need to. AND SLEEP. You will not only feel better, you will not have a hangover plus all the problems you had to begin with. Trust me. We are here for you - and you too Alky. I am so sorry for your loss. Good for you keeping your head. I certainly wish I had back then. It was harder than hell getting back on the sober wagon.

Take care

Waggy
        February 27th, 2013. A New , Successful Start. :h

When everything seems like an uphill struggle, just think of the view from the top!!

Comment

Lizann......really hope you cry this out. :l:l

Comment

Agree with sleeping if you can.
            Meow-Meow
            MonaKitty

Comment

Working...
            X