Is the hospital a safe place for me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi. I've been a heavy drinker for 1O years. I've begun to taper this week, but I'm having abdominal pains and anxiety this week, along with a feeling of a too full ribcage.
    I'm not in current crisis, but I have a very, very deep fear of doctors and have not had labs in 8 years. I'm thinking of just walking into the emergency room and spilling my guts and figure out what's going on inside of me. But at 8 units of vodka a day, is it safe? Can they keep me from having a heart attack or stroke or seizure?
    Any answers, please. I know what I need to do, but am somehow afraid that the hospital will just straight up kill me.
    Thank you.

Hi Need,if you feel you need to go to the hospital just do it,they can help with withdrawals,your stomach pain could be all sorts of things,or it could be nothing,wouldnt you rather know?and i think its better to just get it over with,my thoughts are with you,keep us posted
    I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
    Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Hi Need, I'm sorry to disagree with Pauly on this one. I've been taken to the emergency room twice for excessive alcohol consumption and found ERs to be very cold, callous places. In my experience, the doctors and nurses treat you with utter contempt because the falling down, nearly unconscious drunk, in their opinion, is not a genuine medical emergency. All they do is wait for your BAC to reach a level they deem "acceptable," so that you can't sue them in case you have a seizure and then discharge you. In my case, I received absolutely no medical attention or treatment either time. But I did get a big fat bill for absolutely nothing. When I asked for a sedative, one nurse went as far to say that my experience should be "as unpleasant as possible so I learn my lesson."

A more productive route would be to go to your primary care provider, spill your guts there, and ask them for their help in finding a suitable detox facility. You'll get nowhere at an ER. Many hospitals don't want people detoxing in their facility. Steer clear.
      In the middle of my life's journey, I found myself in a dark wood, as I had lost the straight path. It is a difficult thing to speak about, how wild, harsh and impenetrable that wood is. Just thinking about it recreates the fear. It is scarcely less bitter than death, but in order to tell of the good that I found there, I must tell of the other things I saw there. --Dante, paraphrased

Comment

I know, Alky, I've experienced this before. My problem is that I've only lived in my city for 10 months and don't have a primary care doc. I'm not currently drunk, but am worried about the abdominal pain.
        I think a solution for know is to keep my bag packed and right out this wave of pain for a few hours, and then if not better, start with urgent care first.

Comment

Oh, and use my couch time to find a family doctor here should it all just be gas or something and goes away.
          Thanks, both, for the answers.

Comment

Hi Need,

Unless the need is acute, I agree with alky. I spilled my guts a month ago to my (new) family gp. She was so supportive, ordered labs, asked about my plan, etc. I go back today for a 30-day checkup. Please let us know how you are doing - I hope all will be okay.
            Mary Lou

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty. Winston Churchill

Comment

Alky;1631967 wrote: Hi Need, I'm sorry to disagree with Pauly on this one. I've been taken to the emergency room twice for excessive alcohol consumption and found ERs to be very cold, callous places. In my experience, the doctors and nurses treat you with utter contempt because the falling down, nearly unconscious drunk, in their opinion, is not a genuine medical emergency. All they do is wait for your BAC to reach a level they deem "acceptable," so that you can't sue them in case you have a seizure and then discharge you. In my case, I received absolutely no medical attention or treatment either time. But I did get a big fat bill for absolutely nothing. When I asked for a sedative, one nurse went as far to say that my experience should be "as unpleasant as possible so I learn my lesson."

A more productive route would be to go to your primary care provider, spill your guts there, and ask them for their help in finding a suitable detox facility. You'll get nowhere at an ER. Many hospitals don't want people detoxing in their facility. Steer clear.
              Alky, I agree in principle, if there isn't a medical emergency go to your primary but, if anyone out there is detoxing at home or is supporting someone detoxing at home and you (or they) are going through DT's (severe shakes, hallucinations, chest pain, severe anxiety) or is experiencing severe abdominal pain, get to the emergency room immediately!
              Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that but simply growth, We are happy when we are growing.

William Butler Yeats

Comment

I agree with Alky AND TJ! First, try to see your GP...second, go to emergency room.
                :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Thinking of you, whatever you decide. Be safe......
                  I love my family more than alcohol.:h
                  Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Need - I too am just here to lend support. But on another thread, you talked about having anxiety. Could this be anxiety talking? I have been there, my friend, and I know how difficult it is to stop the racing thoughts, the fear.... So please take a deep breath and try to determine if this is a medical emergency or just anxiety rearing its ugly head. If you feel that you are truly in trouble with detox, then by all means head to the nearest emergency room. But if you feel physically safe, then maybe you could try to find a GP and make an appointment. As you detox your body and mind, the anxiety will lessen. I promised you before, and I promise you again. It really will, even though that doesn't sound possible. The AL needs to leave your system. That's takes some time. Is there something you can do to soothe yourself in the meantime - a hot bath, a nice meal, or maybe call a trusted friend? Or you can post here. Whatever you decide, we'll be here.
                    Everything is going to be amazing

Comment

Working...
                    X