Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My fifteen minutes....

Hello all mwoers,

As most of my friends and long timers here know, I found mwo on 1st March last year and have been completely sober, except for a tiny, inconsequential slip on two consecutive days. I thought that I was a social drinker but looking back, my drinking had escalated to a point where I had got involved in a very embarrassing bar room brawl with my drinking buddies. I still feel absolutely mortified reading my first post here, on 1st March 2008.

My first post :

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f7...tml#post282292

The initial days of the quit were tough, especially because I had to make drastic changes in my lifestyle and also find fulfilling activities to fill the vacuum with. The support and motivation that I received at mwo during the initial phase has been instrumental in keeping my quit going. And I found a lifetime worthy friendship too.

One such activity for which I rediscovered my long forgotten passion was running (Reading and volunteering being the others). Became an adult-onset runner & started running fairly regularly again. Staying away from booze gave me the time, energy and discipline to keep at it. I’ve been posting on and off on the fitness thread about my fitness activities.

We have a Company-organized annual event – a five km run – every January. Took part in it last year, and finished with a time of around 28 minutes. True amateur runner time. For the last couple of months, I was preparing for it by running on alternate days. About three weeks ago, the day I had a six km training run , I fell sick in the evening and had serious breathing trouble at night. Went to my physician who, after a battery of tests, diagnosed bronchial asthma. Prescribed medication ( corticosteroid, broncodilator, the textbook treatment ) to be taken for a full month. And of course, asked me to desist from running for the nonce.

I was truly crestfallen at that point of time. I probably took to running to be an important facilitator for my sobriety. Had dreams ( no, a goal) of running atleast a half-marathon by the end of this calendar year. There was a touch of irony in this. All the while that I was a pack-a-day smoker and a two-fisted drinker, I had no major health troubles. And now, after giving up both these debilitating addictions, .I find myself with a presumably chronic disease. Somehow the situation didn’t seem right.

I didn’t run for the last two weeks but was determined to take part in the Race on 24th Jan, even if it meant that I had to walk the whole distance. I started to feel very strongly that my sobriety depended on my taking part.

Cut to race day, 24th Jan. Got up feeling strong and refreshed. Had my morning puff – of the broncodilator. And was determined to give it my best shot. Joined the other 140 runners at the starting line. When the race started suddenly felt that I was in the ‘zone’ and felt I had an excellent run. It almost felt that the Run shall probably determine the road I would take regarding my future sobriety.

Finished eighth overall and fourth in my category ( employees under 45). With my personal best ever timing of 24:30 – a clean three minutes less than I ever achieved !!

The feeling of triumph that I felt at the finish line is indescribable. Almost felt like Rocky Balboa running up the steps of the Philedelphia Art Museum(pardon the imagery – perils of being a popular- film buff ). Felt like I’ve bested both my addictions- the nicodemon and the al-devil – and my doctor’s verdict too. Adds to my belief that we can be temporarily defeated, but never destroyed.

What’s the point of putting this insignificant private victory up here in a forum for people with alcohol-related issues? Wouldn’t it be better posting this in a hardcore runners’ forum or its equivalent? Or a forum for newbie asthmatics even?

I thought about this. And came to the conclusion that mwo is the perfect place to put up this experience. For a number of reasons. I am now pretty sure that finding mwo has been a life-altering experience for me. Its almost like I was Doubter b.m. (before mwo) and karmayogi a.m. For the past eleven months, a lot of friends have come to know me here at mwo and I too have immensely benefited by knowing them all. Mwo is my second home now.

Also, we come across a lot of newbies coming into mwo, feeling lost and not knowing where to turn to. Just wanted to assure them that I was there too and there is very broad daylight at the end of the tunnel, if only we keep the faith. We can raise above our circumstances.

And of course to thank all the friends here who have accompanied me in my journey of sobriety for the last eleven months. Oh, I can cite the names of a dozen regulars here.

At mwo, I’ve also found a friend for life – Angel ( Okay, the ‘fallen’ part of the screenname still, after all these months, sucks. Don’t you agree Angel?…lol.)- who has been a wonderful companion and sobriety coach in this journey forward. I really don’t know how to show my gratitude to you, Angel. Thanks for everything.

I know that I still have a hell of a lot of inner work to do. Staying sober gives me the necessary motivation to ‘keep at it’.

And for all those who had the patience to go through this novel – thanks for listening.

Peace to all.

Karmayogi
    *Let noble thoughts come to us in all directions...*

My fifteen minutes....

Karmayogi,
    That is one inspiring post my friend, thank you so much for sharing.
    I find it so inspiring on 3 counts, well more probably, but these spring to mind first.
    1. I am an alcoholic too, albeit recovering for 6 months
    2. I am asthmatic
    3. I have just started running again
    Exercise is key to my sobriety (I am a keen walker) and although I dont expect to break any records, I would just like to be able to get my motivation and discipline in place for my running.
    Oh wait a minute, heres another
    4. I am trying to beat my nicotine addiction too...

So, very well done, you deserve much more than 15 minutes, thank you once again for taking the trouble to write this down.
    Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
    Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

My fifteen minutes....

love youi buddy .. thankx for shaning .. we all still have alot to learn and isnt it fun learning while we are sober with a clear head ..
      :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
      best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

My fifteen minutes....

Doubter...........Good to hear from you, guy. I 'm glad things are working out for you. Keep it up, we need people like you for continued inspiration. IAD.
        ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
        those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
        Dr. Seuss

Comment

My fifteen minutes....

:l
          Brilliant post DOUBTER (who's name sucks more???) LOL
          AF 6 years
          NF 7 years

A journey of a thousand miles begins with one single step

Comment

My fifteen minutes....

Hi Doubter
            Great reading about you discovering an old passion and enjoying it again.So many of us got lost along the way with our drinking that we left the activities we enjoyed on the side line.To rediscover or find a new passion that is healthy is a must to replace the place al had in our lives.
            One of the tools that works for many of our members is using exercise to fight this problem. It has worked for me give it a try !

Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
            AF 5-16-08
            Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
            AF 5-16-08

Comment

My fifteen minutes....

Great post! A true inspiration. As an ex runner(6 miles a day) you may just have inspired me to dust off my running shoes...and I think both of you should change your screen names because you have outgrown them!

Thanks for sharing

Guy
              "I've done it. I don't need to drink anymore. I'm free!"-Jason Vale

Comment

My fifteen minutes....

well done now you are a long termer ... not a prison sentence but a life of freedom ...
                ?We are one another's angels?
                Sober since 29/04/2007

Comment

My fifteen minutes....

This is such an uplifting post and I thank you so much for sharing this accomplishment with all of your friends at MWO. It is such an inspiration to hear how far you have come.

Comment

My fifteen minutes....

Wow Doubter as usuall beautifully expressed All souls meet on the ocean I hope to meet yours one day love Cap:l

Comment

My fifteen minutes....

Awesome post Doubter!!! You have overcome lots and will overcome more to be the very best you can be. Congratulations on your many victories that came with that run on 1/24.

DG
                      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

My fifteen minutes....

thanks

Thanks startingover, caysea and one2many for taking the trouble to read and respond to my post.

Roger, IAD, Guy, Doggygirl, Captn and Time! Thanks to you all too. You all know me almost from the day I joined MWO and have constantly given me much needed encouragement.

Angel
                        ! Thanks for being such a wonderful quit buddy and more.
                        :thanks:

K
                        *Let noble thoughts come to us in all directions...*

Comment

Working...
                        X