PSYCHOLOGICAL DEPENDENCE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PSYCHOLOGICAL DEPENDENCE

Dependency is a re-current,profund,overwhelming urge to repeat the experience of getting high or becoming intoxicated.The urge when manifested from within usually goes beyond the strength of one,s will-power.
    The strength of this urge takes number 1 priority in the persons life.
    The urge to become intoxicated becomes independent of any other aspect of our lives.tension,depression,excitement,can stimulate the urge to get high.
    Once a person becomes hooked or psychologically dependent on a drug,this re-current state of mind never leaves completely.
    As a person continues in recovery the urge reduces in its intensity and does not recur as often,but it does return. (discussed in open forum i attended this morning)

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
    I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

PSYCHOLOGICAL DEPENDENCE

Yes, Mario
    You are absolutely right. The psychological dependence is much harder to overcome than the physical. The conflicted/ever fighting brain. Thank you for this educational post and I hope you are there when I come to visit next year.
    "Decide-Which Voice in Your Head you Can Keep Alive" (Shinedown)

Comment

PSYCHOLOGICAL DEPENDENCE

Wise words Mario and so very true. For me the mental urges lasted way longer than the physical urges. In fact I had a mental urge yesterday on the plane flying back. Everyone (or it seemed like everyone) was knocking back those miniature wines...for a short time I felt deprived until I hit the chocolate :-)
      Very well done on your 3 pounds ! You are doing soooo much better than me!
      Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
      Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

PSYCHOLOGICAL DEPENDENCE

Very good post. I struggled, and still struggle sometimes with the psychological urge, though I no longer have the urge to drink every day, different things can spark it off and make it very difficult to resist. Lately I've found the summer weather makes it very easy to slip into a mind state of thinking about a cold beer, thankfully it makes my eczma worse so I'm lucky in that nature has provided an anti-urge incentive for me xD
        The way I change the past is by not repeating it
        -James Hetfield, Metallica

Comment

PSYCHOLOGICAL DEPENDENCE

Oh How I can identify with that. I thought after a year or so I was completely healed and could go on just as I had before.....Wrong....oh I had (and still do) so much to learn, No wonder I have been in recovery for a while. When I first started and got my 6 months....I thought it was reward time with a sixpack of beer. I'm glad I'm not there....
          Sunnydaz

Comment

PSYCHOLOGICAL DEPENDENCE

I have been reading a lot about this lately.

I wonder why...

However, the changes we have made in our brain chemistry last a long time. Much longer than a year. Much.

PAWS (post acute withdrawal syndrom) lasts up to 18 months and so do the changes to receptors in our brains. Coincidence? I think not.

However, the underlying cause of our addiction, the one where our brains have more receptors and can tolerate alcohol "better" than others is what takes us back if we start drinking again.

So, for those of us with this "condition," it means drinking will never be safe. Ever. We will always get addicted again.

Now I understand. Some of us are just born with a brain chemistry that makes us easily addicted to alcohol. We should not drink if we want to stay healthy and sober.

Not a big deal, really. Simple but very difficult.

Love,
            Cindi
            AF April 9, 2016

Comment

PSYCHOLOGICAL DEPENDENCE

Great thread Mario, and excellent post, Cindi. P.A.W.S. is a very interesting subject, and just informing ourselves of how all this brain chemistry works, for me, can strengthen our resolve. Knowledge is power. Thanks for sharing.........

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

PSYCHOLOGICAL DEPENDENCE

Hi All
                Yes for people who are starting to get some AF time under their belt please read about paws.It will give you a heads up on what you might experience down the road to recovery. Knowing before hand really helps in dealing with some of the problems at the different time periods .

Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
                AF 5-16-08
                Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
                AF 5-16-08

Comment

PSYCHOLOGICAL DEPENDENCE

Interesting thread guys. Has re-inspired me to have another read about PAWS. Into my 4th week AF now (w/one slip, which helped me re-engage w/why I need to do this). No more mucking about now; time to get serious. I'm starting to tune into how precious my life is - even the crap bits, as a friend of me reminds me. I've definitely accumulated some psychic baggage so it's to the PAWS docs for me. Know what to expect is right.
                  BFN
                  KAYLA

Current attitude towards addiction: Why ask why? Just accept that it is, and go from there ...

Comment

PSYCHOLOGICAL DEPENDENCE

very good post Mario, and as we all know the brain is very powerful.

Comment

PSYCHOLOGICAL DEPENDENCE

Thank you so much, Mario. I had not heard of PAWS before. After seeing this thread I read up on it, and it helped to explain my recent bouts of difficulty in concentrating & thinking clearly. I thought I was losing my mind or just becoming a slackard when I couldn't seem to get my thoughts together and focus on work. Wow, what a revelation!
                      "If you fell down yesterday, get up today." -- H.G. Wells

Comment

PSYCHOLOGICAL DEPENDENCE

Hello All,
                        Thanks for the info on PAWS. I will look it up! I have never had a physical addition, only psychological, which I feel is the strongest type of addiction one can have! I made it through another AF weekend -- very proud of myself -- but want to find out more about what to expect in the future. I guess I'm finding it hard to accept I'll never be a "social drinker" again. Then again, life is so much better w/o Alcohol -- why do I care? Thanks for the thought provoking post Mario!
                        Have a great day! :l

Comment

Working...
                        X