We dont have to drink to die

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We buried him yesterday.The county coroner had published the required notices for the next of kin and nobody claimed the body.it was just myself and his sponsor,no preacher even,the county doesent pay for those.not much of a sendoff,and not the one david had asked for,A cheap coffin, a backhoe dug a hole,and that was it--another old AA gone, He had been sober over 20 years and in AA over 30,a stern & rigid man who tried to soften his edges and never could. he was a loner,a fringe-er,an isolated man at the edge of life,s good things. he hung in there and in the end hung himself.I dont know why; i cant know. i know there had been a diagnosis of senial dementia,and i know the doctor had added cancer to the list. but i have seen many aa,s deal with such things before....i dont know why david decided he coundent. its not the first time i have seen this in AA. Ive known several people over the years who just up and walked out lifes door one day. Sober,but not happy.sober but not at peace,sober but they died of alcoholism.Our disease dosent need drink to kill us,I wish more folks new that,and appreciated it. Alcoholism is the only disease that is entirely capable of fighting back,of taking care of itself,and of emerging in new places and new forms when it isent properly treated .Thats because of the spiritual malady.Most people think that has to do with prayer or god.it doesent.It has to do with our :spirit: that force which animates,motivates and propels us.As an alcoholic,my spirit is ill,it is flawed.My character,or basic nature,doesn,t work right,At its root, it is a fundamental and irresolvable insecurity....a hole that cant ever be filled.

it is an istinct run rampent,a desperate need for acceptance and love that cannot be met.it hurts,it fills one with fear.The selfishness and selfcenteredness of the alcoholic lies here....we are totally preoccupied with what is going on with ourselfs on the inside.the slings and arrows of experience warped by this need drive us to the fringe,and the voices of the committee in our heads keep us there.we are obsessed with ourselfs,and from this condition of mind...the insanity of feelings gone haywire,we become self-medicators eventually.we discover alcohol or somethink else....and the stuff quiets the voices, provides the relief we,ve never been able to find in any other way.it isent any wonder we drink,or drug the way we do,but i dont think david ever understood his disease,i say that because i watched him struggle with those unresolved issues of his heart for years,his rigidity,coldness,aloofness,isolation and difficulty with other people were a reflection of the pain in his heart......of the disease of alcohol gone deep inside,and still active.Alcoholism dident need david to drink in order to continue trying to kill him,and in the end it succeeded,in the end instead of self abandoned..david abandoned hope...and discovered a bitter end.

Our recovery from alcoholism is done in steps,it is not one dimensional as they say in the AA they have a triangle....recovery,unity,service.You cannot hold back,you must not continue to suffer that shyness,aloneness that overwhelming self in my affairs.you must get involved in groups of people to practice these principals in your affairs,Only totall approach is healing,anything less is little more than driving my disease deep...and if i do that it will continue to eat away,trying to destroy me,it destroyed david,david cannot speak to his experince any longer,i am speaking in his memory,and i think that if david could talk to us today,he,s say understand your disease thoroughly and work the compleate program of recovery.god bless. Taken from wicklow ways Ireland aug 2009.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
    I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Thank you for sharing this story, Mario. It is a serious reminder of how much work a lot of us have to do in addition to staying off AL (which also contributed to why we got so heavily involved with AL in the first place).

Definitely a very sobering reminder to always be conscious of and keep working through whatever obstacles (many internal ones included) come up on our journey.
    ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

Wonderful post Mario.....as always... thanks hon xx
      "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
      NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Hi All
        Excellent post ! Time to look within and see were I can improve in this area to get a stronger foundation in my sober life.

AF 5-16-08
        Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
        Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
        AF 5-16-08

Comment

Thank you, Mario. My husband's name was David, too. He died in 2007 of liver and kidney failure. He wasn't AF, but so much of what you say of inner hurt mirrors what he felt. I wanted to fix it, but I couldn't no matter how much I loved him.

Comment

Bless you for being there to remember him.

Comment

Mario, thats an incredibly poignant post. Thank you....
              Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
              Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Thank you mario

Comment

Thanks for sharing Mario.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Mario that has to be one of the most heartfelt messages of recovery I have seen on this forum; and to come from something so tragic as a loss of a friend as well. You're own understanding of the disease concept I feel will see you through your own recovery and hardships that that will bring along the way.

Love and Light to you my friend
                    Phil
                    xx
                    "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
                    Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

Mario, This really hit a cord. What insight you have provided. Priceless.

I grew up with a fellow who was in AA for quite a while and ended up taking his life the same way probably for the same reason.

I should cry now.

Free

Comment

I've only come across your post now, Mario. My heart felt condolences.
                        And, to Marshy as well. So very very sad.

I've never thought about the deeper laying consequences of alcoholism. You've given much food for thought here, Mario. Thank you.
                        Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

I feel for you, Mario. Your friend David could have been my dad. Killed himself in 1999, after 3 other attempts, just before I moved to TX from MA. All previous attempts had involved me in some way. First when I was 14 and he tried to shoot himself in my bedroom, second when I was 17 camping with BF and family and rangers camp to the park, next when I was pregnant with 2nd son and called me to hospital. Finally let him go from my home after more AL abuse and many tries to make it right with my kids. He did not. He died like 13 years after I let him go, as did many others in family. He died alone without his kids and grands. Not the same as your friend but similar. Very, very sad. Maybe I'm just posting this for me, but I hope it helps in some way. The patterns do need to be stopped. But the support has to be there as well.
                          :l
                          LTG AF January 13, 2011

Comment

Very thought provoking. Thank you.

Everything I need is within me!

Comment

wow that caused a lump in my throat,thanks for posting mario

Comment

Working...
                              X