Hot Rum and Lemonade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hot Rum and Lemonade

That's what I used to drink when I had a headcold and sore throat. I hate having a sore throat! Two of those and I was feeling no pain.

I have just that kind of cold today, and when I went to the store to get some medicine, there was the liquor store. My alkie brain turned right on.

1. It will just be one or two days, no problem.
    2. Just buy a tiny bottle of rum, so you can't have too much.
    3. Comon' this will work much better than the Advil you took.

Various other little rationalizations that I can't remember were shooting through my brain. Fortunately, the other part of my head that is sober turned on too.

1. Do you want to break abs for a COLD??
    2. How do you KNOW you'll just drink one little bottle?
    3. What if you have a relapse, not just a lapse? Do you really want to start over again?

No to all of the above. I thought wistfully of a rum and lemonade and how fast my throat would feel better, but I knew in my heart that it wasn't the answer. So now I'm here with some green tea with honey, and it doesn't work nearly as well. :upset: But I still have my clarity, I'm still AF.

I may be sick, but I also feel proud.
    AF as of August 5th, 2012

Hot Rum and Lemonade

BLOODY well done Yah!!

That was a major hurdle and you cleared it with honours.

Glad you feel proud..you should do!
    "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
    NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Hot Rum and Lemonade

Sorry that you are sick, YAH. It sucks! But, I think that you, so eloquently put across the healthy process that a dedicated non-drinker goes through in order to remain alcohol free.....it is a process and a way of living that leaves No Space for AL! YAY for YAH!!

When I am sick, I love Constant Comment Tea with honey and a slice of orange or lemon.

Cuddle up, and watch a good movie, like, Divine Secrets of the Yah, Yah Sisterhood or Postcards From the Edge!!

xx Kate
      A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

Hot Rum and Lemonade

YoungAtHeart;732234 wrote: That's what I used to drink when I had a headcold and sore throat. I hate having a sore throat! Two of those and I was feeling no pain.

I have just that kind of cold today, and when I went to the store to get some medicine, there was the liquor store. My alkie brain turned right on.

1. It will just be one or two days, no problem.
        2. Just buy a tiny bottle of rum, so you can't have too much.
        3. Comon' this will work much better than the Advil you took.

Various other little rationalizations that I can't remember were shooting through my brain. Fortunately, the other part of my head that is sober turned on too.

1. Do you want to break abs for a COLD??
        2. How do you KNOW you'll just drink one little bottle?
        3. What if you have a relapse, not just a lapse? Do you really want to start over again?

No to all of the above. I thought wistfully of a rum and lemonade and how fast my throat would feel better, but I knew in my heart that it wasn't the answer. So now I'm here with some green tea with honey, and it doesn't work nearly as well. :upset: But I still have my clarity, I'm still AF.

I may be sick, but I also feel proud.
        :lHope your feeling better . I'm proud of you , I hope I can be as strong willed & make right decision if confronted :h Em
        Non Drinker 9/09
        Non Smoker 6/09
        Tennis Anyone ?

Comment

Hot Rum and Lemonade

YAH,

Isn't it amazing what our brains tell us? When we are sick, our defenses are down, too, and the beast wants to creep in there and whisper a little louder.

I am so glad you decided that dealing with the cold was much better than dealing with a relapse.

I am very proud of you. :l:l

Love,
          Cindi
          AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Hot Rum and Lemonade

Thats an amazing tale YAH!
            You should be proud, that didnt sound an easy choice.
            Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
            Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Hot Rum and Lemonade

It wasn't so bad, Starting. I never really considered buying rum. I am just amazed at how alcohol as a solution still comes up in my mind after a long time of sobriety. It is always there, waiting.....
              AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Hot Rum and Lemonade

Funny, I have a friend who says drinking lots of brandy will keep you healthy....no colds! Ha! I'm sure he would say to treat the cold with brandy as well.
                Congrats YAH,,,you are my hero! Hope you feel better soon...
                Every day is not 100%, however, it is 100% better than my best day of drinking..

Comment

Hot Rum and Lemonade

YAH - Your post made me chuckle - I always used your old "remedy" as an excuse to drink whiskey (I was mostly beer and wine after my early 20s). Some old Irish concoction my dad learned from his grandparents. There's also a Jamaican version with lime. Important things in my old alcoholic mental inventory, I guess.

Some newer remedies I use (right now in fact) are chicken soup with lots of garlic and cayenne pepper -you get that nice warm feeling we find so comforting, plus you can taste it, even with a cold. I was out of chicken soup, and it works good with minestrone or vegetable as well. Another good one is ginger tea - or add a lot of ginger to any other favorite tea, or ginger to hot water. Add honey also for the throat. You get the warming feeling without the AL.

What interests me also is the fact you've been AF for over 2 years and these thoughts still pop up. I'm pretty recently AF, 63 days in, and mostly feel it's under control, but appreciate hearing something like this - reminds me to stay ever vigilant, and not let my guard down no matter what. Congrats on not giving in, and on the heads up!
                  ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

Hot Rum and Lemonade

I am soo pleased for you ... you showed a lot of strength there ... I understand that temptation, especially when I was upto around 8-9 months sober and had to go supermarket shopping .....

well done and I hope you are well on the road to recovery (from your cold !!) ..... xx
                    ?We are one another's angels?
                    Sober since 29/04/2007

Comment

Working...
                    X