If it feels good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it feels good

Facing other excesses , In the drinking life,one of the flippant sayings we heard was, if it feels good, do it.
    We hear that less often in sobriety,although it sometimes appears on a bumper sticker or as a casual comment.
    And if we learned anything in sobriety,we know that this remark is really a permit for disaster.We drank to feel
    good but we often ended up feeling terrible.
    Yet the same slogan, properly understood can be useful for the recovering alcoholic.We all want to feel good but
    a drink means temporary pleasure followed by pain,guilt,remorse, and ruin,This is not really feeling good it is a
    nightmare of the worst feelings we can imagine.
    Happy sobriety does feel good,even though it may include short term discomfort or temporary boredom.
    The long run tendency of sobriety is toward having peace of mind,feeling good about ourselves and using our talents
    and opportunities wisely.This is the mature way to feel good,but we achieve it only by thinking and acting in the right
    ways,perhaps our slogan could be, if it makes you feel good now and in the future, do it.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
    I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

If it feels good

love your posts mario. so real to life's problems especially us problem drinkers

Comment

If it feels good

I always went by the maxim, if I am feeling happy now, then increase whatever substance I had ingested to make me even happier. Now i am sober one of the things I have to work on is knowing that feeling happy is great just as it is, I dont need or want to interfere with that. Just be.
      Lovely post Mario, you are so insightful
      Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
      Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

If it feels good

Interesting post mairo,

I have really notice with myself that i have to Go With The Flow. withdrawal symtoms are uncomforable but the more i resent them the worse they seem, i have learn a lot about me ( in my recovery) i need to try to take it easy and easy does it. The goood days I Enjoy them. The Bad days I try not to do too much. I try and take care of myself and focus on My Recovery and i know some how i do get through this. This is me getting better day by day in the moment
        Formerly known as Teardrop:l
        sober dry since 11th Jan '2010' relapse/slip on 23/7/13 working in progress ! Sober date 25/7/13 ( True learning has often followed an eclipse, a time of darkness, but with each cycle of my recovery, the light grows stronger and my vision is clearer. (AA)
        my desire to avoid hitting bottom again was more powerful then my desire to drink !

Comment

If it feels good

Catch - I can relate so much to what you say, one of the great things i've noticed about sobriety is that im much more aware of my feelings and observe them in a controlled way rather that reaching out for that "quick fix" in a bottle. When I have a down day I ride it out, i make sure i dont dwell on any so called problems when i feel this way. Im the one who controls my thoughts and if im not up beat i let them go and tell myself I will think about whatever it is when im in a better frame of mind. That way they never grow into these depressing mountains I used to entertain.

Yes Mario....if it feels good! Sobriety DOES feel SO good. Another common one we hear is "come on, you only life once" or "you're only here for a weekend" if either of these were true, (both of which i doubt!) Why would I want to spend it in a numb blur of intoxication....?!

When I wake up in gratitude for having no hangover I reach over and hit play on my ipod, as my feet hit the floor James Brown reminds me "I feel good, like I know that I should!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g5r7MkCBck[/video]]YouTube - Pixel Art Commercial: James Brown - I feel good
          "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
          AF - JAN 1st 2010
          NF - May 1996

Comment

Working...
          X