X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking about Drinking ...

:new:

Hello.

I have been sober continuously now, through the grace of God, and the support of family, friends and the AA program for 13 and 1/2 years.

Although I am not happy in life, I have nothing to be unhappy about, and, when I think about it, all too infrequently, I have much to be grateful for.

Nonetheless, I am looking for some change, and much too frequently, that involves the idea of picking up a drink. I have no real idea why or what I expect, and I can clearly imagine very realistic consequences, but when do consequences inhibit an alcoholic?

My latest question to myself came about after stumbling over a few mentions of Vivitrol on the web. I remember taking Naltrexone for about a year or so as a precaution at a psychiatrist's advice when I first got sober. I have no idea whether it did anything to help me in my early sobriety.

I am more curious as to whether any prior abuser has any experience with Vivitrol and drinking. I remember reading something about always wishing that we could drink like normal men. Wishful thinking? Thought so.

Hi amiserious,

Welcome! Just wanted to say that there's a meds section here where you're more likely to get a response about Vivitrol.
    sigpic
    AF since December 22nd 2008
    Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

Hi and welcome amiserious, The length of time of our sobriety is not as important as its quality, I am sure that if a lot of people thought they could drink with dignity they would start right this minute but we all know from experience that when we drank something bad always happened and we always ended up back at day one,imo we are always one drink away from being a drunk, As marshy has said check out the meds thread and also there is a good post from one2many in the general threads which may help,goodluck hope you stick around :-)

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
      I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Hi amiserious.

I found this book to be very helpful. Read the section "Approaching The Crossroads". This book really opened my eyes!

Amazon.com: The Wide Open Door: The Twelve Steps, Spiritual Tradition, and the New Psychology?

Many Blessings
        Phil
        "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
        Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

Hi amiserious and welome. Thanks hippie for the interesting link1
          Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Hippie thanks for the book recommendation. I just ordered it!

Welcome amiserious. One thing is for sure, I know the "answers" to whatever are the questions of life are NOT AL. I hope you find another route to serenity and peace.

DG
            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
            Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Thanks from me too, Hippie. I ordered that book awhile back and it is a great read - I too recommend it.

Amiserious - there is a new thread in the meds section talking about Vivitrol. Good luck, and keep on researching anything and everything. I always keep an open mind, that no option is out as far as what I need to do to stay AF. Take care.
              ​​Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind ~ Bob Marley ~ Redemption Song

AUGUST 9, 2009

Comment

Hi Amiserious and welcome

Sorry to have to start with a negative...but in case you have forgotten, there are no answers to be found in consuming AL. It is not glamorous, or fun, or good tasting, or a good idea on any level. It is a rubbish, poisonous substance that will rob you of your life, your feelings, your ability to cope with stress, relationships, money problems etc. It is a trap...don't fall into it. Don't listen to that voice inside your head that is telling you to try it. There are much better ways to find change in your life. Keep searching...AL is not your answer.

Other than that - well done of 13+ years AF. Heres to many more years
                Hazeleyes
                Allen Carr’s book changed everything for me. The easyway to control alcohol. Highly recommended

Comment

Working...
                X