Could someone answer my Question please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been fighting with my partner about alcoholism regarding he thinks that because I have quit drinking that I am not a alcoholic. I am a alcoholic as far as I am concerned thats why I cannot drink. I use to go too AA meeting in my twenties and was educated that once a alcoholic always a alcoholic and my dad is a alcoholic but has been sober for over 30 years but he still is a alcoholic. It is just that we are non practicing alcoholics where as when we drink we were practicing alcoholics. Is this correct. Or am I wrong that once a alcoholic is always a alcoholic.

Hi, Mia

I don't think the distinction is of any real importance - I simply know that I cannot drink. Period.

I don't mind being labelled an alcoholic, if people insist on using labels.
    I'll do whatever it takes
    AF 21/08/2009

Comment

it appears that once a line is crossed in our drinking there are very few people who can go back to a normal relationship with alcohol. if this means we are alcoholic then yes i guess thats true.
      its funny though that this is only really applied to alcoholics. if a person had been addicted to heroin and was now clean, people would say he 'used to be a heroin addict' rather than he is a 'non practicing' heroin addict. perhaps this is because alcohol is socially accepted and freely available.
      as for me, yes im an alcoholic and always will be, even if i was sober for 20 years.
      Today is the tomorrow i worried about yesterday and it turned out fine
      Keep passing the open windows

Comment

tiptronic ct;1130512 wrote: Hi, Mia

I don't think the distinction is of any real importance - I simply know that I cannot drink. Period.

I don't mind being labelled an alcoholic, if people insist on using labels.
        Good answer mr tips,

Imo I am still an alcoholic Its not the second & or third drink I am worried about its the first, As mr tips has said if people want to label us that's ok with me .

Also if by saying to yourself your an alcoholic and that is helping you in your battle then by all means use it, On many a social occasion when being pushed to having a drink by some people I have said I cant as I am an alcoholic, it stops them in there tracks.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
        I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Hi Mia,

I wonder why you're arguing with your partner about it? Does he think you ought to be able to drink sometimes because he doesn't think you're an alcoholic or something like that?
          sigpic
          AF since December 22nd 2008
          Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

I dont know why I was arguing about it Marshy. My partner is so happy and proud that I am AF. I suppouse I have just been a little cranky! But it is intresting what people have said on this thread.

But for me as far as I am concerned if I do not drink AL for the rest of my life I am still a acholoclic. That is why I do not drink.

Comment

I believe I can never ever drink safely, ever - even if I live to be 120. I believe I am alchoholic and always will be. That's fine with me because when I finally accepted these things as facts, freedom became possible for me. I was certainly not free when I was holed up in my house, wanting nothing to do with anyone or anything other than my bottle of AL.

I too hope your partner understands that for an alcoholic, a period of sobriety does not mean we can safely drink again.

DG
              Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
              Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Thanks Doggygirl! This is what I know to be true for me. I am a alchoholic and that is fine with me. I also feel free for the first time in a long time. As for my partner, he is VERY Happy for me never ever to drink again! xx And that goes for me as well!!!!

Comment

That's great Mia. It's very helpful to have a supportive partner.
                  sigpic
                  AF since December 22nd 2008
                  Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

Marshy;1132369 wrote: That's great Mia. It's very helpful to have a supportive partner.
                    Ditto that!! Good that he is so supportive!

DG
                    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

There are studies that show that once a person crosses the line to alcohol addiction, there are brain changes that never return to normal. Hence, the dramatic relapses that occur even after someone has been sober for many years.

I also think that those who are not alcoholics don't truly understand it. My husband must mentioned the other day that maybe sometime I will be able to drink again.

M3
                      AF Since April 20, 2008
                      4 Years!!!
                      :lilheart:

Comment

I will agree that I will never drink again. The problem with the word "alcoholic" is that it carries such a negative stigma with it. I prefer to call myself a non-drinker.

There are many different trains of thought depending on which recovery method you choose to use. Many people feel that alcoholism is a spiritual disease, and you drink to medicate your disease. So even if you free yourself from the alcohol by abstaining you still have the problem you began with...which many will consider alcoholism. So keeping the label alcoholic would apply.

For me, I detest the word. I agree I will never drink again, but if I don't use alcohol then my problem disappears. For my problem to stay gone I have to be a non-drinker so that is how I refer to myself if someone asks.

As momof3 said our bodies change once we cross the physical addiction line and they continue to progress, so I know the next time I drink could be my last, but many people don't understand that there is no going back once you have done the damage.

If you want to be called an alcoholic more power to you, I would rather people think of me as a non-drinker who knows his limitations. Congrats on your sober time!!

Comment

Hey Mia, It's been a long time since I have been on this website. I am so glad you are still AF!!!!!

I hate that term so I don't consider myself to be one, but I guess I am. I like the term non-drinker as well.

Thanks for the explaination about how our brain works once we have been drinkers. It makes sense. Our brains do working different with our poison.

Thankfully I don't want to drink anymore. I only hope it last forever. I think it will!!!!
                          RUM IS POISON AF since 09/28/09

"The hangover last a lot longer than the buzz!!!" quote from FloridaBoy

Comment

Sometimes I call myself and alcoholic, sometimes I don't.

I'm one of the great successes with baclofen, and I've found that I can have a glass or 2 of wine and leave it at that if I want - definitely not alcoholic behavior. But before baclofen, I was a "classic" alcoholic, with, I believe, the peculiar brain/body chemistry of an alcoholic - one drink would send me into the whole desperate spiral.

:H Just had the thought that we may be developing some kind of hybrid species here on MWO!

To answer your question more directly, before baclofen, it was my understanding and experience that "once and alcoholic, always an alcoholic." Although I did see my father, who joined AA when he was in his 40's, reach the end of his life enjoying a single beer every evening. Hmmmmmm . . . . .
                            "Wherever you are is the entry point." --Kabir

Comment

I believe I will always be an alcoholic whether I drink or not. I just really don't like being called an alcoholic.
                              Wally22:confusedmonkey::confusedmonkey::confusedmo nkey:
                              If I don't want to brag but I can still wear the earings I wore in highschool
                              November 2, 2012

Comment

Working...
                              X