Am back From !!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am back From !!!!

My 1st sobriety holiday .....did the b/days funerals weddings xmas and new year! ect, ect.
    I really did not think i could do this just thought i was not ready for it yet. The way my head was thinking before i went away, it keep telling me you know when you try and save up enough money to start a family and never seem to have enough or where you live is not enough room, (need a bigger place with more room.) Well that how it felt like with my soberity never seem like i had enough days months and years under my belt.
    Just wanted to share with you my experience strength and hope!
    Never thought it was possible to ever have a holiday without drinking well i loved every minute of my holiday, i was so in control with me and my feelings. I did get myself calm tablets for my nervers before i step on that plane, knocked me out a bit, which i was please about that. Some evenings i did experiences not feeling part off and felt uncomfortable, those were the moments i would know it was time to head back to my appartment. I think the worst moment i had was when i thought something bad had happen to my son and his g/f my stomach turnover i had the shits and wanted to be sick and the only think i could think of was to have a drink to calm my nervous down. But i try to keep it in the moment and not look too far a head of time.
    The best moments was having a crystal clear head between my shoulders and remembering everything that happen and just chilling out enjoying myself by just being me, and having the freedom.
    On the way home at the airport my son come back with a beer for him and his g/f and said that there is AF beer as well. So i just had to get a can. I have tasted the AF wine b4 and i think it is sh*t. But as soon as i poured the beer in the cup and smell it, see the head on it, and tasted it, it really tasted like the real thing without the buzz. It felt good i knew i was playing with fire. I know my own mind will start playing tricks on me. Wont be having that again in a hurry. I come home on wednesday and still on a natural high. Customers in work that i dont knw are saying how well i look....

My plan was a simple one: That help me.

Made sure i had my calm tablets for the flight.
    Made sure i did not go on a All inclusive holiday.
    The swimming pool had no bars around the area.It was very private. (that suited me just fine, and help me a lot)
    Had lots of books to read.
    Did sightseeing, and walking and (took lots of photos which i enjoyed)
    Made sure i had a list of AA meetings on me just in case and also a phone numbers and name of the person that took the meetings in the area i was staying.
    I did come on mwo and read a few post as well.
    I Made sure i enjoyed myself telling myself i dont know when the next holiday i will have.
    Also had to tell myself sometimes,, make out to yourself your at home just act the way you would normally act. ( if that makes sense)
    And also i kept it in the day, if not in the moment.

Thank you for reading my post. x Catch22 x
    Formerly known as Teardrop:l
    sober dry since 11th Jan '2010' relapse/slip on 23/7/13 working in progress ! Sober date 25/7/13 ( True learning has often followed an eclipse, a time of darkness, but with each cycle of my recovery, the light grows stronger and my vision is clearer. (AA)
    my desire to avoid hitting bottom again was more powerful then my desire to drink !

Am back From !!!!

Well done Catch! Glad you made your holiday an enjoyable one.
    Psalms 119:45

?Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible.?

St. Francis of Assisi

I'm not perfect, never will be, but better than I was and not as good as I'm going to be.

:rays:

Comment

Am back From !!!!

Catch, you done goooood!!!! Thanks for posting; it really does help the rest of us here to know there is a good, happy life to be had when we ditch alcohol. In fact I have been wrestling 'drinking thoughts' for the last hour and a half and your post kicked me into reality. So really :thanks:
      IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
      Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Am back From !!!!

Thanks RingingCedars, daisy45 and for the others that have read my post !
        I also forgot to say the most important thing that i notice about myself insdie when i come home i was NOT feeling depressed or needed another holiday, because i could not face the thought of going back to work, feeling so low and depressed.
        But coming back home from my 1st sobriety holiday not feeling depressed and i did not care about going back to work This is a big change in me that i have never felt before !!
        Formerly known as Teardrop:l
        sober dry since 11th Jan '2010' relapse/slip on 23/7/13 working in progress ! Sober date 25/7/13 ( True learning has often followed an eclipse, a time of darkness, but with each cycle of my recovery, the light grows stronger and my vision is clearer. (AA)
        my desire to avoid hitting bottom again was more powerful then my desire to drink !

Comment

Am back From !!!!

Catch, thanks for posting this - wonderful - so happy for you. I love what you say here about just being yourself. I am experiencing that too - what a novel idea, right! LOL But, really, when I think about it - I haven't just been myself for so long. It's a real feeling of freedom. Congratulations!

Comment

Am back From !!!!

Great stuff Catch 22!

I'm so happy for you. x

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Am back From !!!!

Catch! :yougo::yougo: Welcome home! Sorry I just now noticed your post. I'm so happy to read about your wonderful holiday. I'm also glad to have read your tips! I'm still a bit uncomfortable traveling and haven't done too much of that other than to AA events which always make it feel safer to me. If you can go on a "regular" holiday AF, then maybe I can too! It's great to have you back. Was your home group glad to see you?

DG
              Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
              Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Am back From !!!!

Great going catch22

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Am back From !!!!

I'm sorry if this is a silly question. How long do you have to be alcohol free before you are considered long-term sobriety?

Comment

Am back From !!!!

Crunchy;1187806 wrote: I'm sorry if this is a silly question. How long do you have to be alcohol free before you are considered long-term sobriety?
                    There are no silly questions Crunchy.

For me, long term sobriety is anything over 1 hour. For others, it maybe 5 minutes, 5 months, or 5 years.

Your journey is a special and unique one. How is it going?

Best wishes, G-bloke.

Bravo again C22!

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Am back From !!!!

Didn't see this post until now..... ITA that on a personal level, it's a personal thing. FWIW, according to the DSM-IV (which is the diagnostic criteria used in official settings in the US - i.e. court), 12 months is an important time frame. All of the criteria for abuse or dependence is assessed in a 12-month period. Many would say one is "in remission" if one goes from meeting the abuse or dependence criteria, and then does NOT meet the criteria in a subsequent 12 month period.

Of course, for most of us that doesn't mean "I'm cured" as in I can drink normally. (normal excpetion for those on meds allowing moderation of drinking)

In another view, there is an opinion in the treatment community that the comprehensive recovery process takes 3 to 5 years. I know personally at about 3.5 years AF, I am still changing and mending as a result of sobriety.

DG
                      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Am back From !!!!

Thanks for the info DG, this is really interesting.

For me reaching 12 months was absolutely momentous as a personal victory and meant the world to me in terms of achievement. However I still felt like such a novice inside which I guess is hardly suprising after 20 years of drinking! The 12 month label actual scared me a bit as I felt I had more to live up to but it has all served me for the greater good.

In the run up to my 2 year anniversary I feel totally at home in my sober skin and proudly wear sobriety on my sleeve. Like you, I feel I'm continually growing. The whole experience of healing is a truly mindblowingly one and I look forward to everything I have still to learn.

Chill
                        "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
                        AF - JAN 1st 2010
                        NF - May 1996

Comment

Working...
                        X