Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

100 Day Club members/Maintenance Thread

Well done, Humble!!!

In regards to the mods post... I have a hard time pointing fingers. Most of us were probably drawn to this site/program because of the faint hope that we'd be able to moderate/control our drinking. I do believe that any improvement is better than none and the writer of that post will likely eventually come to the same conclusions we have. I certainly don't think that a person is completely sober after 6 units - but it may feel that way if that same person was drinking to black out every day before.

Sugar, I had to laugh at your post... somehow I envisioned you peeking over the back of everyone's monitor :H I'm kinda like that with the Golden Girls thread. I'm almost there but I don't want my arse kicked out officially... so I just quietly sneak in there from time to time

Life is returning to normal (what the heck is normal, anyways?) - junior is off to work today. Thankfully, he still has his job. Considering, that he only started last week.. this wasn't really a for sure thing. Of course, that means I'm without a vehicle and I'm not sure how he's going to afford the gas $$ back and forth every day. It'll be a minimum of $20 per day. Sigh. He'll be talking to his boss today - there's a possibility that he can live on site. If he agrees, we'll have to go and ask the court for permission. Of course, all of this is at my busiest time, when I really can't afford the time away from my desk.

This shall pass, too. Back to you!
    Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

Hi Friends, Sorry it's been a while for me! Just wanted to check in and say hi.

Welcome to Humble, Skullbaby and Sunshine!
      "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
      AF 11/12/11

Comment

Welcome and congrats, HumbleRider.

I had no idea there were lurkers coveting posts on this thread. So now I need to start looking over my shoulder.

I had a new chair delivered today, a recliner. It has great lumbar support, which I need. Still right by my fireplace. Way too comfy. Is it time for a nap yet?
        My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Welcome HumbleRider, I'm a new addition to this group as well. It feels good, doesn't it!? Well done on 100+ days!

Sunshine- sorry to hear about your rough few days... sounds like a real challenging time, you should be really proud of protecting your quit! Going through these kinds of challenges without drowning ourselves in poison can be so hard but really builds strength. During times like this, I always think of the phrase "Ask not for lighter burdens... ask for stronger shoulders".

Also, your not drinking I am sure is a good example for your kid- he may not know it consciously now but may come to appreciate it.

Sunbeam, that chair sounds heavenly It's the little joys in life!

Comment

Welcome Humble!

We're glad to "officially" have you, even though you've been lurking Doesn't it feel good to graduate into the next "phase" of sobriety??? We are darn proud of you!!

Sunni - You're right about the modders feeling sober compared to what they used to feel. For me a good day was "only" 4-6 beers, I would feel like I was sober too. BUT...I was in denial about that...as they are. I do applaud any progress, but grasping for moderation when you are an alkie just boggles my mind. It's easier for me to have ZERO drinks than one or two...I just don't have an off button (I've noticed the same thing with Oreo cookies lately...damn)

Sun - I want that chair...does it also massage you??
            :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

I order of priority:

Sunbeam: YES! Totally nap time.
              (And, how 'portable' is your chair?)

K9: Oreos. Hm. Still not as bad as me having to buy new Valentine's choccies 'cause I ate them all. Thought I was smart by buying them early. Oops.

Hello Pinecone, Skullbaby, et all :hallo:
              Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

Hi all, I guess I also need to officially start post here more regular. I love the nest and having hard time leaving it today is my day 115.
                AF since 10/20/2013
                Smoke free since 09/24/2007
                Meat free since 09/20/2008
                ---------------------------------------
                With will one can do anything - Samuel Smiles

Comment

Good evening all!

Myluck, you might actually find it easier to post here
                  Sometimes the nest gets a touch 'uncomfortable' when a few people keep falling out & returning, over & over. Even after all these years, sometimes it bothers me to see the same folks struggling.
                  I have all the faith in the world that anyone can quit - if they really want to quit & do the work

Well, it's snowing here & the prediction is up to 14"!!!!! Swell
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09
                  Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Lavande - great point. I agree some times it hurts it see them struggle. I felt that way. I will be here more to post.
                    Right now I feel very strong just all this Valentines day adds that always include champaign is driving me nuts. What if you don't drink??? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
                    We are expecting 10 " here in VA. My DH and I are taking turns to shake off the snow from the gazebo roof - we lost couple of them already - learned the lesson
                    AF since 10/20/2013

Comment

how do all? Nice wintry day here in ol Virginny. Snow and wind and chilly. Sure you have more there Lav!

I have to say, and I'm sure I'll be a lone wolf on this, but see no point in harping on the mod's thread, we are all trying the best we can in our own way. What is progress to one may seem like denial to others, but in the end what really matters is how I am doing, we all have to be a little selfish for ourselves and giving for others. Support in the positive far outweighs anything and I find that you all here give plenty of support to everyone who asks for it. I'm very grateful to you all for that.

It is hard to see some go back and forth; doing well, then not. And then sometimes some get on tract, which is truly uplifting to witness.

Break in the weather, time to make a dash and feed critters
                      Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

Well - it's officially a blizzard :H
                        Just heard on the news that Newark, DE has 14" - that's about 20 min. south so I know I'm sure there's probably a bit more here - swell!
                        Just sent my smaller (30 lb.) dog out, she couldn't walk in the snow so she hopped like a bunny :H :H

It's going to be a fab day :H
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09
                        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Morning, all- sounds like a bunch of us in the US are buckling down for more snow. I'm a homebody so it sounds good to me- time to read by the fire, watch a movie, curl up on the couch. Stay safe and warm everyone.

Sunshine, I realized I never answered your question- Skullbaby is just a random nickname some friends gave me years ago- it's from the movie Aliens 4, where Ripley and the aliens procreate some weird skull-headed offspring, which I found hilarious and made fun of endlessly, and they gave me the name Skullbaby. Silly

Samstone, you're not alone in your perspective- that's how I feel too. There were more than a few times on my journey where a moderate day of a few beers felt like a victory to me and I liked getting any support around it at all. I did eventually have to come to the place of full abstinence, and as such I have my opinions about how best to recover from alcoholism, and I'm sure they're in line with most of you guys. It can be very tough though to watch people we care about keep backsliding, so I understand that perspective too. I dunno, all I can do is protect my quit as best I can and any day I do that, I consider a "win". Anything else is icing on the cake.

MyLuck, I love your Spider-Kitty avatar. Super cute.

OK all have a good day.

Comment

Samstone;1626448 wrote: how do all? Nice wintry day here in ol Virginny. Snow and wind and chilly. Sure you have more there Lav!

I have to say, and I'm sure I'll be a lone wolf on this, but see no point in harping on the mod's thread, we are all trying the best we can in our own way. What is progress to one may seem like denial to others, but in the end what really matters is how I am doing, we all have to be a little selfish for ourselves and giving for others. Support in the positive far outweighs anything and I find that you all here give plenty of support to everyone who asks for it. I'm very grateful to you all for that.

It is hard to see some go back and forth; doing well, then not. And then sometimes some get on tract, which is truly uplifting to witness.

Break in the weather, time to make a dash and feed critters
                            Sam, generally I agree with you. Until we walk in someone else's shoes its hard to be critical of the path some take provided of course if its leading to the same good place we are all traveling to.

I can't however be silent when I read a post from someone who is only looking for some perverse attention with no real intention of getting better, nor can I keep silent when I read about someone doing something profoundly foolish and then expect everyone to slap him or her on the back and say job well done.

It's a fine line in providing support and advise here. Some of us are very good at it (Byrdie, K9, Lav, NS et al) while some of us are still learning. Regardless, I dont want to stop trying, even if I slip up from time to time. I think, warts and all, every day we can add another day of sobriety provides hope to those of us just starting out.
                            Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that but simply growth, We are happy when we are growing.

William Butler Yeats

Comment

Thank you for including me in that group of diplomatic, supportive posters, TJAF. I aim to be like them but sometimes inadvertently hurt the feelings of people who don't see the world (and especially this little corner of it) in the same way I do. I'm sorry that happens but, especially in the Newbies Nest or with people who have the stated goal of being completely AF, I try not to suggest that anything about choosing to drink is ok.

I don't think anything is gained by referring to choices as slips or by suggesting that relapses are an inevitable part of the process. They aren't. Although I agree that the best thing to do after choosing to drink is to get right back with the program, I dislike the posts that suggest that this is no big deal. It is a big deal that appears to get bigger each time it is repeated. And like you, when a person posts activities that are life-threatening in the short run, I think it is important to speak up.

I don't think you were at all off base in a couple recent posts - I was impressed and glad that you are so firmly committed to the way of life you've chosen - TouJours AF .

PS Just found out you hit day 200! CONGRATULATIONS!!

Comment

Yes TGAF - congrats on 200 days! I bet it feels great!
                                AF since 10/20/2013

Comment

Working...
                                X