100 Day Club members/Maintenance Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ky..reckon you are right..its a numbers game...if no one else had been drinking and each of them was...on an individual basis, think the peny may have sunk in a wee bit quicker!!!
    af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

mollyka;1455534 wrote: I truly believe that those with 'ongoing struggles' with the concept of living a life sober have a problem with acceptance of alcoholism. I KNOW 100% that I am a raving alcoholic - there's absolutely NO wriggle-room in my head - not an iota of 'maybe I wasn't that bad' - 'maybe just a few' - none of that - the chatter is gone, cos there's nothing to chatter about - no tiny lingering little corner of my brain waiting to say.......... 'maybe', that is the greatest gift I've been given - imvho
      Molly
      Wonderfully said Molly. ...and that's exactly how I am/feel about my sobriety.
      AF 6 years
      NF 7 years

A journey of a thousand miles begins with one single step

Comment

Wow, Mollyka, that was brilliant.

I have two sisters. One has been sober for 25 years after giving it up through rehab in her twenties. I asked her about long-term sobriety. She said after five years, it just wasn't an issue. Until then, she had a tape she played in her brain of "distinct episodes not to be shared" of things she had done while drunk. I guess that is along the same lines - knowing full on, with no debate, that one is unable to drink AL.

My other sister had 5 years sober, then relapsed. Joyously, my trip home during Christmas and my AF example was the nudge to get her back on the road. She is using the supplements of MWO, too. I said to her at the time, you've never known me as a sober adult, I started drinking heavily in college. It's amazing to think that we have whole relationships with family to restart from where we left off, basically, in childhood.

Kuya, I'm also finding I don't want to be with folks as the evening progresses and they are drinking. Boy, they get silly. On my date last night, this very sweet man, who has been patient with my ambivalence with his attentions, decided after two glasses of wine that he was going in, and tackling that big kiss. Blech. The smell of AL, the loss of presence. I need to think on this one - date other AF folks?

Cat
        "It is easier to maintain than to start from the bottom again. I can't go back there." Byrdie

AF since Oct 2, 2012

Comment

Very interesting replies.

Molly I reckon you have my vote, I accept that I am an alcoholic and its fine, just like I accept everything else about me. It is just fact, there is NO shame. To me it would be like having shame for my gray hairs. For alcoholism there is sobriety, for grey hairs there is L'oreal :H:H

Funny thing though from the other night, all four women were nurses and were sharing in a joking way that alcoholism was a problem in their profession. I could sense an air of discomfort which was then laughed away and more booze fetched. There was also a tinge of sadness to them.

CATBUDDY....how funny you should say that....I was chatting about my potential next partner and one thing on my check list for sure is SOBER. My sobriety is too precious to deal with a drinker and the last thing I want is to start by wanting to change someone.

It narrows the field but, as the ad says 'I'm worth it !' :H:H:H

Comment

Interesting conversation, indeed!
            As I was returning home from the holidays I had a lot of time to think while driving...and what has made the difference for me IS accepting that I'm an ALK...and that I do not give myself the CHOICE to drink anymore. It's a simple concept, but took me a long time to accept, but that is the difference for me...If I give myself the choice, then it is going to kill me. I'm not trying to be dramatic...that's just the way it is. I'm so glad to be at this point...I feel I have EARNED this feeling. It was hard fought, but I'm so glad I hung in there!! It IS worth it. B
            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
            Tool Box
            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Wonderful thoughts posted here. I agree that accepting that you are alcoholic is a big part of achieving peace and not having that chatter going on in your head.
              AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Hi everyone,
                I've been checking in a bit on the weekends, but my computer is so slow and every time I think I am posting something it times out or something. Hopefully this one will post.

I am coming on 7 months sober and I have admitted that I am an alcoholic and have to a hand full of friends as well. That in itself helps me stay true to myself. I am feeling better than I have in years and I never want to go back to living in a blur.

I am not going to type too much for fear it will disappear lol

Take care,
                IMT
                new beginnings July 16, 2012

Comment

So nice to see you IMT
                  Congrats to you on your AF time - it's the best!!!!!
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09
                  Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Oh how I love this thread! So many "A-ha" moments. This post by Byrdie really struck me:

Kuya and Lav, there IS safely in numbers and that's why I think checking in to this site is so important.
                    Yep, I am fully aware of the message society gives us over and over and over about how cool alcohol is, etc., but I never really thought about how this site gives us power to conquer our addiction. I thought, sure we can pick up some hints here, but really the community here is what makes it all okay.

Comment

OOOOH, Flyaway, I agree totally. I feel at home here, amonst my peeps, with no shame and shared challenges. Man, it is hard where I live, and for all of us here. We are socially out of step. Except here. We are not only in step, we are leaders.

Cat
                      "It is easier to maintain than to start from the bottom again. I can't go back there." Byrdie

AF since Oct 2, 2012

Comment

Kuya.....your post..." the rush of endorphins"..Is that them grey mammals you see jumping oot of the water following boats???? :H:H:H:H
                        af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

Mick;1456333 wrote: Kuya.....your post..." the rush of endorphins"..Is that them grey mammals you see jumping oot of the water following boats???? :H:H:H:H
                          Have you been taking sneaky pics of me in the pool again Mick? :H

Comment

Also loving this thread. Going back to read.

CT
                            AF Since July 27, 2012:jumpin:

"Don?t be satisfied with the norm if you want more. It?s okay to want to achieve special results. The world needs folks who dream and achieve big things. Never give up."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FS...e_gdata_player

Comment

CanToo;1456392 wrote: Also loving this thread. Going back to read.

CT
                              Yoohoo cantoo.....how's my whizzy girl today?

Comment

I was wondering if anyone but me avoids using the term alcoholic? I don't have any argument with the fact that I have an alcohol addiction, but that term is so depersonalizing. It is better to call people with disabilities just that instead of disabled. I don't really care what people call themselves if it helps them with recovery, but I would rather be a person with a problem than be the problem itself.
                                My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Working...
                                X