is gone,
      yet the quiet battle
      rages on
      I am no longer THRILLED by:

Riding a bike
      Being potty trained
      Being able to read
      Swimming.......you get the idea.

We have learned a new skill here, but must go on learning as long as we live. Boredom is a high risk factor for relapse IMO

Comment

100 Day Club members/Maintenance Thread

kuya;1474129 wrote:

We have learned a new skill here, but must go on learning as long as we live. Boredom is a high risk factor for relapse IMO
        Yes. Stagnation, not to be confused with relaxation, can quickly open that trapdoor to the hell and limbo.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

I let those (very) occasional thoughts just pass right thru. We don't ever have to act on them unless we choose to do so, right?
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Right, Lav. And it is all up to me. I am on vacation in Florida this week. My husband has wine in our room, has wine with dinner. He stops always at a glass or two. I simply don't want any. I'm different from him, I know and accept that. I know if I drank it would degrade, not enhance, my vacation experience. I'm done drinking for good.
            My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Good for you, Sunbeam! I'm dating someone who drinks moderately. It's fascinating to me. Some nights he doesn't drink at all. Some nights he has two beers. I've been with him enough to know if this was a struggle for him - it's not. Wow. I've no issue with him consuming at these levels. He politely accepts and doesn't probe for details that I don't drink at all, after having previously been a drinker. His ex-wife drinks too much, so I think he respects that I don't without having to determine if I white-knuckle it. I don't. That has been the best part of all.

You know, I can and do sense times when there is more risk for me. Sometimes I see the beer, no reaction. Sometimes, there is a stirring. If there is a stirring, I whip out my plan - eat, take L-glutamine, distract, go somewhere else. If the stirring got strong, I would absolutely pour it down the sink. Who gives a crap about the waste.

I think this is the peace of a no-tolerance decision to not drink. You just don't drink. So anything you need to do to keep that decision, you just do. It's all fine, because the only thing that is not fine is drinking. I don't feel fear anymore. It's all protected by this decision.

Could I make a new decision? I guess so. But then I whip out the rest of my plan - think about what I would lose, think about how crappy I was the day I quit, think about never being sober again, think about short term pleasure with long term regret, think about maturity. And I feel good that I would not make this decision.

Peace, abbers.

Cat
              "It is easier to maintain than to start from the bottom again. I can't go back there." Byrdie

AF since Oct 2, 2012

Comment

Cat -
                You sound good and strong! Keep it up my friend!
                I could sit next to someone drinking a beer and not salivate over it (finally). Probably because ONE beer never enticed me. My M.O. was a 12 pack ALONE. Sitting around socially drinking was not how I rolled! My family can do that, I cannot....and that's OK.
                Keep making those good decisions!

p.s. I love Jillian Michaels
                :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Sunbeam, hope you are enjoying Florida!
                  Have you seen the sharks I'm hearing about on the news? Be careful

K9 & Cat, my brother lives outside of Sacramento......maybe I should go visit?

The orchids are still on display at Longwood Gardens - here is the view just inside the door of the conservatory

AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Very nice..Lav..so thats the next model for your sunroom?
                    af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

:H:H A girl can always dream, right Mick?
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Lav, lovely orchids. I hear it's warming soon up north, soon I can dig in the mud.

The sharks are out there I hear, but I'm not actually in the ocean water, which is only in the mid 60's. We are on Sanibel Island, and I think they are further north.
                        My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Lavande;1474679 wrote: Sunbeam, hope you are enjoying Florida!
                          Have you seen the sharks I'm hearing about on the news? Be careful

K9 & Cat, my brother lives outside of Sacramento......maybe I should go visit?

The orchids are still on display at Longwood Gardens - here is the view just inside the door of the conservatory

How I used to LOVE going to Longwood. Thanks for sharing!
                          Sober since Sept. 24th 2012 This time 4 SURE!
                          https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-3162-30074.html Newbies Nest
                          https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html Tool Box
                          https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/what-plan-how-do-i-get-one-68554.html How to get a sobriety plan

Comment

Thinking about doing a little digging in the mud myself today Sunbeam

Hippy, I love going to Longwood & can be there in 30 minutes or less
                            I make good use of my membership!
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Five years!

Hello everyone!

This 100 -day thread is a great thread specially aimed at long-term abstainers. This is a wonderful idea which will fulfil an oft-felt need. Gives a chance to long-termers to come and share their experiences and views. Felt like I too could join in with a post.

I had come to mywayout exactly five years back, at probably one of the worst emotional junctures of my existence - after a mortifying bar room brawl. Proved a great turning point in my life. After a couple of decades of drinking, mwo provided me much needed time & space to reflect upon where I was heading in life and what changes to be made in my lifestyle. Over time, as I succeeded in putting a fair distance from my alcohol-soaked past, my need to visit mwo diminished. From personal experience I know one thing for sure ? quitting alcohol changes the fundamental direction and content of one?s life.

Did journal my journey here for the first three years, but then gradually moved away from the forum - natural drift, I guess.

In the initial days of my sobriety,I had a great quit buddy and mentor - FallenAngel - who helped me through the early treacherous journey. It is wonderful that Angel again is participating actively in this forum. A truly wise guide, indeed. Bravo, Angel!

Nowadays, I do not think too much about my old drinking days. More of a feeling of good riddance to bad rubbish.

However, have there been any benefits of all the struggle of going sober?

Sure, innumerable. Quitting drinking ( and smoking a year earlier) has been the single biggest gift that I could give to myself. Physically, emotionally, financially &relationship-wise I am now at a far stable juncture of life. Sobriety simplified my life to a great extent.

Just wanted to share a few thoughts. And to have this post as another marker of my journey. If my story of redemption and renewal can touch even one person here, I would feel validated.

I wish all friends here a wonderful, sober life.

Peace to all!

*Let noble thoughts come to us in all directions...*

Comment

doubter;1475176 wrote:
                                Nowadays, I do not think too much about my old drinking days. More of a feeling of good riddance to bad rubbish.

However, have there been any benefits of all the struggle of going sober?

Sure, innumerable. Quitting drinking ( and smoking a year earlier) has been the single biggest gift that I could give to myself. Physically, emotionally, financially & relationship-wise I am now at a far stable juncture of life. Sobriety simplified my life to a great extent.
                                Nice seeing you here Doubter... and a HUGE congratulations on 5 years of sobriety! :goodjob:

I know that you don't think about your old drinking days much, but you do have an ongoing day-to-day encounter with working colleagues that try to pressure you to drink. That takes a lot of strength and commitment.

It's been wonderful to be able to witness your transformation over these past 5 years. I'm so proud of you & all that you have accomplished in your life. Stay strong & happy my friend! :l
                                AF 6 years
                                NF 7 years

A journey of a thousand miles begins with one single step

Comment

Working...
                                X