X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

100 Day Club members/Maintenance Thread

Pinecone,
    So sorry for your loss:l
    Our dogs are such friends & such a part of our lives.
    I've been through it several times, so sad.

I am grateful to be able to recognize & immediately squash the nagging little voice of AL when it appears. I've been through some major things since my quit but I have never even remotely considered popping open a bottle of wine. What would that really do for me or the situation? Absolutely nothing!!!!!!
    We owe it to ourselves to keep finding newer, better & healthier ways to deal with what life tosses at us
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hi Ladies, and absent gents.

It was hysterical catching up on this thread. Drunk shaving; never considered it. I did, however, treat a pulled calf muscle by downing a bottle of wine, taking a vicodin, and strapping an ice pack to my calf with an ace bandage. I skipped any protection from the ice.

As Lav can attest, this is a bad idea. I got second and third degree burns on my calf. Took months to heal, the tissue was so deeply burned. I have a long, noticeable scar on an otherwise comely leg. A permanent reminder of my foolishnes when drunk.

Shaving in general.....if Gweneth can sport a 70s style bush, why can't we all? (See trashy U.S. pop news if you missed it).

Ooops, Gman, again, not a good time to pop in.

Cat
      "It is easier to maintain than to start from the bottom again. I can't go back there." Byrdie

AF since Oct 2, 2012

Comment

On a more serious personal note, passed seven months this past week. I'm going to celebrate my first anniversary with fanfare, and mark the passing months with gratitude. Thank you all, the long term abstainers, for your fellowship on this journey.

With Love,
        Cat
        "It is easier to maintain than to start from the bottom again. I can't go back there." Byrdie

AF since Oct 2, 2012

Comment

:H:H Cat!
          The older I get the less I care about what the celebs are doing or not doing these days. I guess for me that's a good thing :H:H

I'm very happy for you - 7+ AF months really changes your thinking, don't you agree?
          I have always been grateful for the support & sense of understanding community here! We all help each other!
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Morning Sweet friends
            I watched Iron Man 3 this weekend...Gwyneth's dresses were so tight...she must be fully shorn for them to fit!
            Actually, as usual, she looked lovely.
            Y'all have me thinking about this meat thing. I love meat and always thought it was necessary for a proper diet. Is this not the case? My two almost grown sons and husband are complete carnoviores..hmmmmmm....gotta study up
            My new assistant starts today and I dread it from the training aspect. I will get nothing done as far as my job, but it must be done. I want her to be sucessful....in the end it is much better for me. There's just SO much to show her.
            Up early for some reason, so off to find coffee.
            I love my family more than alcohol.:h
            Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

What I am finding sober is that I really crave vegetables in a way I never did when I was drinking. I still enjoy some meat but can live without it.

This was not conscious, just a result of sobriety. It is not a moral or health decision just what my body wants. I also desire milk less.....I used to consume litres.

I know paleo diets are 'in' but if we look at animals that hunt they rarely eat every day and have to sleep for long periods to digest the meat.

Certainly something about drinking made me desire more meat, perhaps I needed it and no longer do so.

Comment

Pinecone..as I was reading your post, my Chihuahua, Rubi, was whimpering to come and sit in my lap. She is a spoiled little dog, and a pain in the butt sometimes, but she is a wonderful (and constant) companion. She is 6...I dread the day when we lose her. I am so sorry about the loss of your dog. It's an emptiness and void there that defies logic. It's not JUST a dog, it is a member of the family. There's just one thing that could make it worse and we all know what that is....I wonder why OUR brains tell us it will help? Just crazy....I guess that's just the way we coped with things...or at least I did. Numb them up....maybe they'll go away, or maybe someone won't expect much out of me if I'm sideways. A heck of a way to live. I will hold you close in my thoughts and prayers...it is a terrible loss. Thinking of you.....Byrdie
                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                Tool Box
                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Thanks Lav and Byrdie, I appreciate the thoughts.

I wasn't even considering drinking at all. It was just an annoying reaction to an impending sorrow. More like an unwanted thought, or shadow of how I used to deal with things.

Back to the lighter side, I once drunkenly shaved my initials in my leg hair in college (it was summertime too). Pretty dumb...
                  "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
                  AF 11/12/11

Comment

Pinecone, I had the pleasure of having lunch with Ann Carolina on Saturday. We met at a restaurant on the riverfront. I got up and went to the restroom and it made me remember back when I'd come to this restaurant before, I'd duck into the bathroom and down a couple mini bottles of vodka. What a strong association I had...I told Ann about it when I got back to the table. I have never admitted that to anyone. The associations we have with drinking are so strong it's scary. We just have to break them and move along. That's all I know to do! B
                    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                    Tool Box
                    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Hi Pinecone! I am so sorry for the loss of your doggie! I have a 14 year old that is beginning to have health problems, I've had her forever and DREAD the day....but I know it's unavoidable. Until that horrible day, I just treat her like the QUEEN that she is! Just keep the good memories of your doggie close to your heart!

Mama - You are a GOOD boss because you're actually going to show your assistant what to do. My lame boss won't show me anything because she is afraid I will take over. She's only screwing herself though....anyway I hope to be out of here soon. No word on an interview yet though...if I get that other job I'm not even giving notice. I'm outta here!
                      :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Thanks K9, I appreciate it. I'm hoping you get the other job!
                        AF 11/12/11

Comment

Thanks Pinecone! I am SERIOUSLY hoping to get the job...still waiting for an interview! UGH...I swear they will drag it out for months! This is the government after all.

Did you set up any type of memorial for your beloved doggie? I have my Cocker Spaniel Charlie's ashes next to his pictures and a little piece of his hair, on the fireplace. I'm so glad I clipped that piece of hair off at the last minute!

Comment

She's in the backyard in the shade of some trees. I put her ball, leash, bones and some of our socks in with her. We have about a billion pictures of her in the house. I'm going to put some wildflower seeds over her resting spot. Damn, I got something in my eye. The weirdest thing is happening, I have to really struggle to remember her face, and the harder I try, the more I can't.
                            AF 11/12/11

Comment

Sometimes I miss my Charlie SO much that I can almost feel him leaning against me! We had some good snuggly times! He's the only dog I've ever had that really snuggled as much as I like to. My other dog will PUT UP with it for a few minutes but then she scrambles away. Brat. LOL

Comment

Pinecone;1502433 wrote: She's in the backyard in the shade of some trees. I put her ball, leash, bones and some of our socks in with her. We have about a billion pictures of her in the house. I'm going to put some wildflower seeds over her resting spot. Damn, I got something in my eye. The weirdest thing is happening, I have to really struggle to remember her face, and the harder I try, the more I can't.
                                I missed your earlier message Pine, sorry for your loss. Even though I see this every day in my job it never ceases to touch me how much our pets mean and embody for us.

:l:l

Comment

Working...
                                X