100 Day Club members/Maintenance Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of our dogs sleeps with us..the large one and when she and my husband snore it is a hoot...but not if i am trying to sleep....not sure who to evict first...we have 3 beds so room for everyone.
    Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

My kids tell me how badly I used to snore when drinking and how much better it is......

They are lying, of course I don't snore ! :H:H:H

Comment

NS, that year looks good on you! Good to see you too. Let's step it up here in a mindful way! Are you meditating any lately? Great to see you!
        "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
        AF 11/12/11

Comment

My Cocker Spaniel snores...then again, he has the comfiest bed in the house!

Skull - Are you on day 90 or 100 today?? I know my math is BAD, but I thought it was 90. Not that you're not welcome anyways :l
          :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Hi, Pinecone. I am still having trouble putting aside the time to 'learn' to meditate. I have been able to use some of the techniques when I'm in a stressful situation or just want to relax. Maybe I'm actually doing it but think I need an "official program" when I really don't ??? (I have practiced concentrating on my breathing so as to ignore snoring :H!).

Comment

I believe I posted a simple meditation on the toolbox thread, if you are looking for another resource.
              My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Thanks, Sunbeam. I will try to find it.

Comment

I've just posted this link elsewhere but it may be of some use here as well
                  Emotional Freedom Techniques by Dr. Friedemann Schaub
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09
                  Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

kuya;1620606 wrote: My kids tell me how badly I used to snore when drinking and how much better it is......

They are lying, of course I don't snore ! :H:H:H
                    I stayed up all night one time to see if I snored and I didn't
                    Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

Lav, thanks for the link, that is some good stuff there.

NS, I found Thich Nhat Hahn's "The Miracle of Mindfulness" to be a very basic nuts and bolts guide to meditation. It is a short book. I manage to get two 15 minute sessions in per day, and I'm noticing quite a bit of benefit. Once the little one and the pup are a bit older I'd love to expand my practice gradually.

I'm so happy it's Friday! Takeout and a movie on netflix! Maybe sleep in just a tiny bit and leisurely coffee in the morning. Ahh! AF life!
                      "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
                      AF 11/12/11

Comment

I managed to do a session yesterday, Pinecone - our conversation inspired me! I slept very well last night --- coincidence ? I will take a look for that book. Thank you.

I was thinking about the joys of AF life as I made my way through the crowded grocery store late this afternoon (everyone is stocking up given another bad weekend forecast, I guess) and thought about how dang many times in the past I did that, knowing I would buy wine, and knowing I would hurry home and drink too much of it. I also wasn't impatient to get the shopping done and get home. All the people who used to seem so irritating now just seem like shoppers .

Enjoy your evening and leisurely Saturday morning.

Comment

NS, I get exhausted thinking of the old days. How the hell did I keep all the balls in the air for so long.....and more over, WHY? Life is so much more calm. I am so grateful! Xxoo Byrdie
                          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                          Tool Box
                          Newbie's Nest

Comment

NS I was thinking about that last night...grateful that I wasn't thinking about rushing home from the event to drink..or drinking before we left..what a waste of time...but NO MORE!!!
                            I regret all the time I have wasted but I cant get it back so I need to deal with it and move on...easier said than done some days but making progress..
                            Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

I spend some time each day (at least a few minutes) to consciously thank God, the universe & myself to starting on this AF path & for staying on it - no matter what!!!!!!!
                              So, whatever you did today, do it again tomorrow & thank yourself

Sure beats the old days of beating yourself up on a regular basis, am I right or what? :H :H
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09
                              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hi everyone. Well I finally made 100 days AF. Today is actually 102 days AF.

For the most part I am comfortable in my world AF..... I get very few cravings and have adjusted to a new life AF. I am more pleasant to be around and have a much better relationship with my wife. I am trying not to take this new life for granted as I know how easy it is to slip back into a dark place with AL.

Unfortunately I just found out I am getting laid off in 3 weeks which is going to set up a whole new set of emotional challenges for me to remain AF. I am 55 years old, not ready to retire quite yet and anxious about the future. My emotions right now are very raw and in the past I would have numbed those ugly emotions with AL. I have stepped on an emotional rollercoaster and I am holding on as tight as I can.

I have downloaded hypnosis tapes for confidence, controlling anxiety and relaxation. I also have a prescription for anxiety pills which I take when the stomach anxiety becomes too much. I am committed to staying AF at all costs and will just have to learn to live with the raw feelings.

I know there is another position out there for me and I must stay sober to be at my best while prospecting for new jobs. Sometimes life just feels really unfair and I am worried as I am the family breadwinner for my wife and 3 teenage children.

I am glad I have made it to the 100 day thread. Thanks for giving me a soft place to land.

Jim
                                I would rather have a frontal labotomy than a bottle in-front-of-me.

AF since Oct 23,2013

I watched this and found it incredibly empowering.....
                                http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability.html

Comment

Working...
                                X