100 Day Club members/Maintenance Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Byrdlady;1643038 wrote: Sunbeam, my memories make me cringe.
    My 50th year was definitely an eye opener, finally got sober at 51 and Im not looking back! Hoping for smoother sailing on the back nine of life! B
    I started trying at 50 but it didn't stick until 53. Wow my 40'S were a drunken blur. Never get that time back.
    Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that but simply growth, We are happy when we are growing.

William Butler Yeats

Comment

A week ago I got news that an old friend was in hospital, about an hour out of town. I went to see her last Sunday and it was really scary. She had been drinking and popping pills for years and her body was shutting down. She said she hadn't had a drink in a year but they said she had alcohol and morphine in her system. Not sure how that can be but regardless she looked awful. I was so sad.

I visited again last night and what a difference. She is talking about how much she drank, how many pills, for how long. We talked at length about our teenage years and how we managed to cope with all the shitty things and how we used that coping mechanism for years until our bodies began to react. We talked about her (now deceased) abusive husband and how she drank AT him.

It was nice to be able to say I know, I quit too, I am also learning new ways to cope, I can help. I am here.

I told her about MWO but she is not a computer person really. She might try some meetings. I am so glad I have reconnected with her and that it isn't too late.
      Newbies Nest
      Toolbox
      My accountability thread

Comment

June, sure sounds like the universe put you in the right place at the right time. How wonderful that you can give your friend a helping hand
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Wow, 3J, that is amazing! I feel like I have been given a second chance, too. But you have to have sense enough to take it! I hope your friend can find her way out, too! She is lucky to have a friend like you! It is frightening just how much we will allow AL to take from us, not even realizing. THAT is the power of addiction! You are such a good friend! Xo, Byrdie
          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
          Tool Box
          Newbie's Nest

Comment

3J - so happy you could be there for your friend. It is amazing to me how much more clear someone looks after only a short time sober. I have a friend who quit before me and it felt so good to have someone "in person" understand how I feel.

Comment

Yea, she sure was surprised when I told her that I had lost control before I quit. I told her no one knew but me.
              Newbies Nest
              Toolbox
              My accountability thread

Comment

There are bees on my early bulbs in bloom, poking through the snow. I'm excited!
                My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Now you're just making me jealous Sunbeam :H
                  I did notice the daffs have finally broken ground around here

3June, I hope your friend knows how lucky she is to have an honest & strong friend like you. You two can really teach each other a lot!

No April Fools pranks here - people know better :H
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Lav, you might want think about some winter aconite bulbs. As with other spring bulbs, you order them in the fall. Scheepers is my favorite bulb resource. Mine often start blooming the first week in March. It was the last week this year, and the bees just showed up this week. The aconite blooms in sun or shade, and spreads by seed. I also have about 300 daffodils in my 1/4 acre yard, with bloom spread over two months. I'm starting to see some of their foliage. It all gives me hope!
                    My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

My early tulips are up too Sunbeam - thank goodness
                      I kinda feel bad for the farmers around here because I know they are late getting started too. This winter really beat us up badly. My friend in MN emailed me last night & said he was expecting more snow today - sad.
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09

Comment

My daffodils and crocus are up and blooming...woohoo..spring is here!!!
                        Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

The crab grass is growing too :H
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Things are looking up Dots!!
                            Lav, you'll have to get YB out to cut the crab grass! It's a beauty of a day here in NC, we haven't had 3 days of temps above 80 since September! That's hard to believe! We are just starved for the sunshine! Have a great day everyone! B
                            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                            Tool Box
                            Newbie's Nest

Comment

I, most definitely NOT a gardener, got Narcissus bulbs one Christmas. They sat on my shelf in my pantry (in a box) for about three years at which point I tossed them out into the small patch of dirt in front of my apt from which a small tree grows. Dang if those Narcissus haven't bloomed every year since - going on 10 years now. Determined little suckers!

I look forward to catching the gardening bug when my kids get out of my hair, um, I mean grow up and out of my house... In the meantime, I'll live vicariously through you all.

Comment

Happy AF Sunday everyone!
                                I'm hosting a birthday party for my 3 year old grandson today - woo hoo :H

What's everyone else doing on this beautiful day?
                                AF since 03/26/09
                                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Working...
                                X