• Show
Clear All

100 Day Club members/Maintenance Thread

True words those Sunbeam.
    AF since 28 October 2013
    600 days on 20 June 2015

Comment

Hey Sunbeam! Yes, feeling rather optimistic to be honest. If I can stay strong during these unpredictable days, well it is a very, very good thing.
      Now when I think about drinking, I think 'omg, imagine what truth would dribble from these lips!' No, no. Gotta keep it together, gotta keep the peace.
      Ugh. It is much easier to live with animals. You never have to worry about your own words coming back to bite you in the bum.
      (AF since 17 May 2014) 2 years 5 months sober

Comment

Hi Eloise - welcome to the club
        AF since 10/20/2013
        Smoke free since 09/24/2007
        Meat free since 09/20/2008
        ---------------------------------------
        With will one can do anything - Samuel Smiles

Comment

Rahul, Thank you so much for sharing your poem and pictures. Truly enjoyed both.

Comment

Hi all, I am checking in with you my friends. Doing ok, getting in the swing of things after the daughter left to college. Now we are preoccupied with leaving to vacation - next wed. we are leaving to all inclusive resort in Caribbean. Our normal retreat that we do yearly. This time different - no AL. We had to fill out preferences and mail them out so I had requested no AL in the room and plenty of juice, club soda and water. I asked about AL free beer for DH and they replied that they can accommodate. Nice. Any suggestions of more experienced members on how to deal with vacation on AF life? Appreciate any advise.
            AF since 10/20/2013

Comment

Hey Myluck! Which island are you headed to? Sxm was my home for many years.
              Tricky business to not drink down there, it is so much a part of daily life.

Ideas to cope- stay busy just like you do at home.
              Maybe check out spa treatments at various hotels? The Marriots usually do an okay job at that. Get a mani/pedi- oh I know, do some hiking!
              Shopping makes me sweaty the sea is too rough for sailing.
              We used to play lots of board games this time of year.

Keep a water bottle in your hand all day, stay hydrated, and eat lots. Cant drink and dont think about it so much when you are full, right?,
              Its cooler just now, so that will be nice. Hurricane season! Not much happening in that front so no worries.

Enjoy! I do kinda miss the islands.
              (AF since 17 May 2014) 2 years 5 months sober

Comment

We are going to Bahamas (great Exuma) sandals resort. We have been with sandals many times this is our time # 8. Spa is on the location. Drinking was such a big part of the vacation for us in past, I need a strategy to make sure we are staying on track this time around!
                AF since 10/20/2013

Comment

Myluck;1699612 wrote: We are going to Bahamas (great Exuma) sandals resort. We have been with sandals many times this is our time # 8. Spa is on the location. Drinking was such a big part of the vacation for us in past, I need a strategy to make sure we are staying on track this time around!
                  Hi Myluck! Bahamas vacay sounds delightful! Could be that with your sober vision, you'll easily find non-AL ways to enjoy yourself. Maybe encourage hubby to get a mani/pedi with you?

I would be on guard against accidentally receiving a drink with alcohol in it. Don't trust your sobriety to a bartender/server who might make a mistake with your drink order. And maybe look for opportunities to help others; share your sunscreen or something.

That's all I can think of. And send us a postcard!

Pie

Comment

Hello All,

Thanks all. I like to pour my heartout here. Had 10 days away from daily huddle bustle of work.

Not a day go by when I don't think so glad being sober. Booze looks Luke long gone from my life. I have been to so many situations past 10 days where I could have drank but chose not to. I rather embrased freedom .

Like is now more about living and living it a better way. I need to balance my life. Too many wounds to heal.
                    Rahul
                    --------------------------------------------
                    Rewiring my brain ... done ...
                    Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
                    Rebooting ... done ...
                    Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

MyLuck, I want to stowe away in your luggage!
                      The way I deal with situations ripe with AL is just remind myself that AL is NOT an option. I live in a beach community and Al flows freely at restaurants around here, its encouaged, even! That is fine for those who can drink it. I am not one of them. You will be just fine!! There is no drink that tastes better than being sober feels. Byrdie
                      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                      Tool Box
                      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Hello All,

I wonder if you felt that after being sober and waking up to a life you realise that you can't go out with the same set of people with whom you use to drink. Either they might consider you as a fool or you might now consider them or you just won't enjoy their company. You also realise that you are no longer in a situation where you can enjoying your own company as you used to by drinking alone.

So making new friends ? Sober friends ? Set of people you never looked to hang around with as they were "fools" in your dictionary ?

Ah he does not drink what will he do in the party. Only one glass for the whole evening ? He. Is not my type. Not drinking ? Why ?

I used to feel this way.

Any suggestions ?" New friends ?
                        Rahul
                        --------------------------------------------
                        Rewiring my brain ... done ...
                        Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
                        Rebooting ... done ...
                        Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

Hi Rahul,
                          Many people feel they need to drop those drinking buddies in order to avoid falling into old habits. I work with some of the people who used to drink with me, but I just don't go out with them. My life never stays just the same anyway, I drift closer to some people I know, and further away from others. Make it a priority to cultivate friendships with people who share your non-drinking interests, for me that includes gardening.
                          My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Two years for me today!
                            My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Congratulations, Sunbeam!
                              I just mentioned in RollCall to Daisy that this is a good day to start - she is joining you, Allen, and Kuya from 2 years ago and Dottie from last year.
                              Enjoy your day!

Comment

Rahul,
                                I have to say that after 120 days, I do feel like I have to leave some of my old friends behind. Not because I don't drink but because now that I don't drink, I don't really have anything in common with them. I've spent the summer sober and around those old drinking buddies. I'm too old to waste time around people I have nothing in common with. I'm finding that I enjoy my own company so much more now that I'm not drinking and I don't need a bunch of friends around me all the time to feel whole.

I'm thankful that I made it to this thread! It's been an interesting ride getting here and I wouldn't change my decision to tackle my drinking problem for the world!

Comment

Working...
                                X