100 Day Club members/Maintenance Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sunbeam!!! Congrats on 2 years of being AF. Big deal.
    AF since 10/20/2013
    Smoke free since 09/24/2007
    Meat free since 09/20/2008
    ---------------------------------------
    With will one can do anything - Samuel Smiles

Comment

Sunbeam - CONGRATS to you - 2 years AF, YAY!!!!
      Such an awesome feeling of accomplishment

Rahul, I did all my drinking home & alone & in a most depressed state. I think though that if I had regular drinking friends they would have to accept the 'new me' or take a hike! I would not allow anything or anyone to mess with my quit. I have to agree with the others, cultivating new interests & new friends is essential in protecting the ' new Rahul'
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hi, Everyone:

MyLuck - sounds WONDERFUL! There is a Bubble Hour on Staying Sober While Traveling - they might have some more tips for you, too.

I still have the image of Rahul traveling in India for work. After work everyone went to the bar and he went swimming in the Indian Ocean. Nothing sounds better to me than that. What is it that you love to do the most (I'll be you'll find Hot Yoga), and do that instead of drinking.

Hope everyone else is peachy. I had a wonderful sober weekend, and I kept getting hit by my gratitude at being sober and not hungover for it all. Very cool feeling.

Pav

Comment

Thanks for the posts and replies. I guess it does becomes tough to make friends after a certain age. I see kids they hookup fast one moment they are each others best buddies and the next they start fighting. Things are so simple in their world. We make things and relationships so complicated when we grow up.

I am a sort of person who is not good at maintaining one to one relationships. I dont know maybe I am heartless or harsh or simply boring. But what ever the case maybe it does affect us.

I have always had problems to connect with others in real life I am to direct, harsh, insensitive or simply quiet. One thing that AL did was that initially it removed the inhibitions and later on desire to even have friends. I had AL and I was self sufficient. Now its different. going back and feel where I left off. Alone.

Its one good thing to be sober which I cherish everyday its another to live life.
          Rahul
          --------------------------------------------
          Rewiring my brain ... done ...
          Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
          Rebooting ... done ...
          Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

And congratulations, Sunbeam. You must be chuffed! (Did I use that right, Ava?)

I have my good drinking friends still, but I do more things with them that don't revolve around drinking. I also don't participate in some of the parties/activities that I used to. I would be prone to feel like I was missing out, but I don't feel like that any more - just happy to be home with my kids, a good book, and my bed!

Rahul - I stumbled around there for a few months, and now feel like I'm coming out of it a bit. Just take good care of yourself and don't drink, no matter what. It will all even out eventually...

Pav

Comment

Congrats again Sunbeam, a massive achievement to be so totally proud of.

Yes chuffed Pav is the right word. I know my quit buddy has 9 months tomorrow, well for me it is tomorrow i think. Oh god now i have confused myself.

Rahul, hello and these months as Pav says are ups and downs but i have found that life and my emotions are starting to level out. Just go with the flow, things will fall into place when you least expect it. Just be totally grateful that you are sober, we cant expect miracles to happen now we are sober. i'm still waiting for the bloody dancing girls and parade now i am not drinking as a celebration but its not going to happen but i am enjoying my sober life now. I have won this battle for the time being.
              AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

This is the good life, with me making my decisions every day, instead of being influenced by the lure and the haze of alcohol.
                My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

SunBeam! 2 years is MASSIVE!!!!
                  :chick:

THE STELLA AWARD! Wow!
                  In life you don't get many opportunities for praise, but around here, we KNOW what an achievement this is....every day! Very happy for you!!

Rahul, we had a member previously (Kuya) who said that at the beginning of our dependence on AL, wherever you were emotionally, is where you stayed. For example, in my late 20's I suspected I had a problem, but I didn't do anything about it until I was 51. All the sudden , when I quit, I have the emotional maturity of a 28 year old, and the body of a middle aged woman! It takes some time to catch up! But you DO catch up and things change....I no longer CHOOSE to be around the heavy drinkers, not because I don't trust myself, but because they are not in the same place I am...the conversation isn't stimulating anymore like I thought it was. I've heard the same old stories over and over! I TOLD the same old stories over and over. I wouldn't say I've outgrown the heavy drinkers...but I no longer feel the desire to be part of what they are doing. I'd rather go back up to my room, take a leisurely bath, check in with the hubs, and this site...and go to bed! I love my new life, and I feel secure in my own skin. It takes some time for all the stuff to line up, but the best is yet to come! Byrdie
                  All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                  Tool Box
                  Newbie's Nest

Comment

Thanks all for the words of support.
                    Rahul
                    --------------------------------------------
                    Rewiring my brain ... done ...
                    Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
                    Rebooting ... done ...
                    Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

Hi all, I agree with Byrdlady - it is just not attractive anymore to spend time with them as you are not in the same "waive length" lol. Also I noted the strange thing when I quit smoking back in 2007 - I lost couple friends with that - and I suspect some fell off because they were secretly jealous of me being able to quit smoking and they couldn't.
                      We are all packed for our first AF vacation. Before, when we were drinking I would start drinking at 5 pm the night before the flight and I would just be packing intoxicated and forget half of the things I need lol. I am very looking forward to rest fully and enjoy the sand and water if the Caribbean to the fullest I will check in from there...
                      AF since 10/20/2013

Comment

Wishing you a safe trip Myluck & a great AF vacation
                        Tale some pics to share with us!
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09
                        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hi all, happy to report - is it possible to have great vacation without AL! Benefits include - great feeling in the morning, ability to enjoy (and remember) food, not falling asleep drunk on the sun and burning yourself!!!
                          AF since 10/20/2013

Comment

My luck, vacations are better without alcohol. There are lots of things to see and do, and if you are out of the alcohol haze you have the energy to do them.
                            My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

MyLuck, so glad to hear you are having a great time! Just not having to be dictated by AL is worth the price of admission! Enjoy! I have heard of vacations but haven't had one in quite a while. Travel safely! B
                              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                              Tool Box
                              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Rahulthesweet;1700461 wrote:

I have always had problems to connect with others in real life I am to direct, harsh, insensitive or simply quiet. One thing that AL did was that initially it removed the inhibitions and later on desire to even have friends. I had AL and I was self sufficient. Now its different. going back and feel where I left off. Alone.

Its one good thing to be sober which I cherish everyday its another to live life.
                                yup, I can relate to this feeling Rahul.
                                I have lived alone most of my adult life and I tried so hard to quit when I was single, but I just couldn't get it right. I married 2 years ago and I knew that the drink would eventually kill the relationship. I just felt it, now after 112 short days without wine things are improving.

But that friend connection, it just doesnt happen easily. I rely on my life long friends (we are talking since childhood & college) to fall back on. Long flights to visit, but worth it. The everyday friendships are just not there. I imagine you meet lots of people in your travels. You know you dont need a lot either, just a few you can really trust. I am pretty sure those people are in your life, maybe not every day but thay are there.

Your doing great Rahul the comforts will come, I am sure of it.
                                (AF since 17 May 2014) 2 years 5 months sober

Comment

Working...
                                X