Four years and forever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Four years and forever

I?ve thought of posting on my sobriety anniversary every year but haven?t. I did come back occasionally though, for a reality check, to see if anyone I knew in 2010 was still posting, and to mentally compare notes with other long-term abstainers. I see so many posts wishing other LTAs would check in, so this year, year 4, here?s a quick note.

My life is a thousand times better without alcohol. This is not necessarily to say happier, but more about living truer, richer, and deeper, being present. It?s not because I stopped feeling anxious and overwhelmed and tired and frustrated, but because I sat with all of those things rather than medicating them, so I could actually deal with them (or at least get started on the process).

It?s possible to break out of alcohol?s orbit, because I did it. I seldom think about alcohol anymore; all my friends and relatives know I don?t drink anymore, so even the awkward explanations when people ask are mostly a thing of the past. I cringe when I think of the time I DID waste thinking about it, almost every waking hour when I wasn?t drinking it. I've used that time to sort through the underwear drawer of the soul, even that stuff way in the back. I?m coming to terms with who I am, and ::::::thud::::: as it turns out, I?m okay.

It?s not necessarily causal, but not by chance either, that in the 4 years since I quit drinking I?ve remarried, gone back to graduate school, nursed a son who was diagnosed with bipolar II, took up running, lost 40+ lbs, changed my church, changed many of my friends, started saying ?yes,? and--even harder--started saying ?no.? But most of all, my husband and children are now proud rather than ashamed of me, or worried for me. And I?m not ashamed of myself. That, my struggling friends, is Everything. Not being a fake or a liar, all day, every day, especially to myself.

One thing I will say to newbies is that moderation does not seem to work. I?ve seen the mod boards roll over many times, and always for the same reason: those trying to moderate have fallen back into heavy drinking. I tried it myself, at least every six months for years. Maybe there are exceptions, but studies don?t support it (for those who appreciate irony, I?m a drug and alcohol research editor, and was before I quit). I wish, or used to wish, there was another way, but, to be blunt, if you?re a drunk, the only way to succeed is never to drink again. Instead of regretting or resenting it, embrace it and be grateful that you're alive and can feel joy, and pain, and everything in between.

I?ll try to post again in future years, but if I don?t, rest assured it will never be because I?m drinking again.

Now, if you?ll excuse me, this 50-year-old has homework to do. Seize the reins, lovebugs. xx :l

Pride
    AF since July 15, 2010. :applouse:
    "People who drink to drown their sorrow should be told that sorrow knows how to swim." —Ann Landers

Four years and forever

What a fantastic post Pride and very heartfelt. I find now that my family are proud and i am making decisions sober that i never would have had the courage to do when i drank. I know i cannot ever drink again and I accept that fact and i am proud of that knowledge that I can never drink again. Its not easy to get to but once owned it is much easier to be a non drinker.

See you in a year or a few and thank you very much for your post.
    AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Four years and forever

Thanks for sharing such a positive post, Pride.

So often when people return to MWO after they've left, it is because they have relapsed. I always assume there are plenty of people who have moved on and are leading AF lives but unless someone like you pops in, it is hard to know for sure.

Have you used any sort of structured program to maintain your sobriety? Or have you found it to be manageable on your own?

I hope you stop by with another update.

All the best to you, NS

Comment

Four years and forever

"Instead of regretting or resenting it, embrace it and be grateful that you're alive and can feel joy, and pain, and everything in between."

This has been very key for me, embracing and enjoying sobriety. Thanks for coming back to post.

Sam
        Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

Four years and forever

Pride before Fall;1683255 wrote:
          if you?re a drunk, the only way to succeed is never to drink again. Instead of regretting or resenting it, embrace it and be grateful that you're alive and can feel joy, and pain, and everything in between.
          Hi Pride! I was around in 2010, but it's only been quite recently that I finally embraced the decision to remove alcohol from my life completely and forever.

Thank you for coming back to post about your new, real life!

Pie

Comment

Four years and forever

Have you used any sort of structured program to maintain your sobriety? Or have you found it to be manageable on your own? >>

NS, no; I didn't use a formal program, not even Roberta Jewell's; but I visited the MWO community site every day for almost a year. I ordered medication online but only used it a couple of days; it made food taste metallic.

There's one common thread in any program, and that's the company and support of other people going through exactly what you're going through. I think that's the most important component.
            "People who drink to drown their sorrow should be told that sorrow knows how to swim." —Ann Landers

Comment

Four years and forever

Hi, again, Pride

I agree with you about the company and support of others. Have you developed that elsewhere since you no longer participate regularly on MWO? I do not have in-person support and so am pretty committed to remaining here. But, I'm wondering if some people find they no longer need that much interaction.

NS

Comment

Four years and forever

I agree with you about the company and support of others. Have you developed that elsewhere since you no longer participate regularly on MWO?>>

Interesting question! I hadn't thought about it.

What's happened over time is I developed and nurtured real-life friendships with people who drink very little or not at all, who have ALWAYS been that way. (Mind boggling, I know.) I have met only 2 former dependent drinkers who are now sober--that I know of. There are likely more, but it's not a polite topic of conversation at dinner parties, is it ? The heavy drinkers I hung with are still heavy drinking, and I don't spend much time with them--including many in my own family. I have taken flak for that, and derision, (I'm a "snob" and "no fun anymore"), but I used to do that to nondrinkers too, so who am I to complain? It hurts, but I get it. I avoid them.

In a nutshell, I personally did not need the support of other recovering alcoholics after the first year. I don't crave alcohol or even think about it much. (THIS IS FREEDOM, PEOPLE, TERRIFYING, BLESSED FREEDOM.) I've sought and found the support of very light drinkers and non-drinkers, by a process of selection I wasn't even aware of (until you asked! ).

After a long period lurking--at first--and posting on MWO, I saw many people with decent sober time under their belts start drinking again, or rationalizing their continued drinking, or regretting it bitterly. Each "slip" just "renewed their determination." I found this disheartening and threatening to my own sobriety. The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

My real, uncomfortable-in-my-own-skin life was calling, and it was time to move on. Love and thanks always to DoggyGirl, Lav, GreenEyes, P3, and others on MWO whose daily support carried me through the first year.:l:l:l

Comment

Four years and forever

Pride before Fall....so good to hear how you are doing. I also came in 2010 and unfortunately am one of those that fitted the definition of insanity. After a time away I came back to see people who came here after me had got a serious grip.....like you.
                  It made me take a long hard look at myself. Their lives weren't any easier, they still had problems, yet they were doing it and being happy AF. You popping in today has helped me and I'm sure others....there is hope, life, happiness, reality....I for one am keeping going because I believe in all of you people who have paved the way.....
                  IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
                  Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Four years and forever

I'm glad, Daisy. :l:l Hang in there. The only way out is through.

Comment

Four years and forever

Top thread. I'm in.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Four years and forever

Dear Pride,

What a great post it is inspirational to new bies that we can stay sober for long. We are not giving anything up ! I am sure you must be proud of yourself. Tell me after 4 years you abstain 100% I mean not even a sip ! I might be silly asking this but I am about 145 days sober and at this juncture I have absolutely no desire to drink. No temptation if I see AL. But I do wonder is this the beginning of a wonderful journey and journey which I intend to take. So knowing from your experience and guidance will be of great for us.

Btw you should post how you did this and also post something for our tool box. It will be good for new bies to see such and inspirational example.
                        Rahul
                        --------------------------------------------
                        Rewiring my brain ... done ...
                        Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
                        Rebooting ... done ...
                        Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

Four years and forever

Hey Pride! I also found MWO in 2010, but was convinced I could moderate so I wasted a year on that insane project. I am so happy to see you thriving after 4 years! Sobriety is such a gift we give to ourselves! Don't be a stranger!! Byrdie
                          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                          Tool Box
                          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Four years and forever

So glad to see you Pride & CONGRATS on your awesome quit

I've thought about you & wondered, happy you checked in with us!
                            You obviously have moved forward in your sober life & that's what this journey is all about

Stay well & stop in when you can!

Lav
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09
                            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Four years and forever

Thank you Pride. What an inspirational post.
                              No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Working...
                              X