Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

December: Remember: Everything in Moderation

hi modders,
    dave, good to *see* you here again. You really seem to stay aware of how you are doing and keep yourself from slipping. Ally, yes, staying warm, blasting heat. I will think about January!
    I do want to say - the term 'mentally ill' is pretty vague - how would it be defined, also I am not sure that the mentally ill are more violent than the non-mentally ill. I do agree there is no reason for anyone to own a gun like the one used. Just to awful to imagine, and yes, the teachers and administrators really cared about the kids like they were their own.
    Ally, glad the depression went away. Maybe you had lots of sugar? Anyways, I am struggling with it also.
    L

Comment

Lila:
      I guess I didn't define the mentally ill, you were right:

I meant mainly those who have violent thoughts of hurting others or having hx of violence especially driven by delusional or paranoid thoughts. Some "mentally ill" may just be antisocial personality disorder patients who enjoy killing people for no apparent reason, and I'm in the mental health field, so I have heard graphic stories of these patients telling me how they fantasize about killing random people. But you can't always just lock them up or hospitalize them if they are not "imminently" dangerous to society. so you don't know when they will strike, they say they only have fantasies, but they won't do it.... there is no way for us to predict that they won't in the future. There is not enough governmental or insurance money to keep them in mental hospital forever. They have rights not to have to be locked up either in a hospital or a jail. What do you do then?

And they are not going to report to gun stores that they have mental health issues. Mental health records are extremely protected by HIPPA. So, the part about keeping guns away from potentially violent mentally ill patients is not really enforceable.

I think NRA is wanting the government to give the privacy of those potentially mentally ill up so that they can be screened. But if you see a psychiatrist, do you want that privacy to be violated?

Of course I don't mean mentally ill patients like people with depression, anxiety, alcoholism, bipolar or asperger's or even most schizophrenics. Just those w violent tendencies especially hx of violence. I hope I'm not offending anyone.....
      Alcoholic (or Ally)

"Only a fool knows everything.
      A wise man knows how little he knows."

Please feel free to block/ignore my posts through your control panel.

Comment

oh, no, not at all. looks like it just wouldn't be enforceable at all, for so many reasons...

Comment

Hi, all: how it going?

Quiet here....

I'm looking at my wine rack... Pretty amazed how full it's gotten! My husband still brings wine home once in awhile (not as often) and friends still bring wine over, but because I'm not drinking it, the wine rack is getting full! In the past, i was constantly dismayed that it was empty! I could never understand how my sister could have unopened wine bottles laying around for decades now I'm doing it! If that's what my wine rack looks like, imagine what my bank account looks like w the extra cash! .

2012, a weird year... I discovered mwo, l glut, kudzu, but had some tragedies as well. But overall, 2013 has a better start than last year!
          Alcoholic (or Ally)

"Only a fool knows everything.
          A wise man knows how little he knows."

Please feel free to block/ignore my posts through your control panel.

Comment

Working...
          X