Mistakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mistakes

Now that I'm 49 days abs, I have a whole different attitude toward mistakes. The other day, I was walking along w/my husband & stumbled on a crack in the sidewalk. The significant thing was that I didn't have to worry that he would say: "Have you been drinking?" It was a stumble that we simply laughed off. Since I've been sober, I've said dumb things, bumped into things, & done some really dumb things (backed over my g-sons' ride-on car). But, (guess what?) I'm human & that's what humans do. I have no more paranoia that someone would notice my impaired state. Humans stumble over words sometimes. I don't have to worry that someone will think I'm slurring. What a gift! What a freedom! This freedom to be human is just another blessing of sobriety. Love, Mary
    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
    October 3, 2012

Mistakes

Yes Mary, being sober has so many advantages!

A big one for me is the ability to hop into the car at any time day or night - without having to mentally check if I had been drinking first.

I was cleaning my car this weekend and found a few empty beer cans tucked away at the back of the cupboard where I keep the car wax etc.- I'm STILL finding hiding places after 7 months here!
    NO more having to hide my drinking! Yipee! :H

Satori
    xxx
    "Though there are many paths at the foot of the mountain - all those who reach the top see the same moon - as any fule kno"

Comment

Mistakes

HMMM., Mary.. Yes.. I know those feeling s well. I like being able to go to the grocery store in the eveings to go GROCERY shopping and not smell like booze. I live in such a small town that I just quit going in the evenings because I would run into clients, friends, etc.. and I didn't want anyone to smell me. Funny thing, Noone probably cared, It was my own personal shame. Nonetheless, it is very freeing!

Heres to being OUT IN THE OPEN!

MM
      Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Comment

Mistakes

Mary, Thanks for the reminder that being perfect is not a requirement for being sober

Comment

Mistakes

Great post Mary,

I forgot something that my son told me on Sat night and I immediately thought "oh no!!! I can't remember what he said because I drank too much. Thank goodness I just plain forgot. It's human to forget things. So much easier to forgive myself. i'm easier on myself when not drinking!!!!

Janet

Comment

Mistakes

Mary- I know exactly what you mean. I had a very similar experience.
            I tripped at a party due to new shoes. Someone actually laughed about maybe me having a few too many - but the funny thing was that I didn't feel the need to defend myself.
            I know if this were several months ago I would have been mortified and tried to excuse it. But I knew I was completely sober and I didn't have to prove it!
            It made me feel good about me.
            great post - thanks
            Lisa

Comment

Mistakes

Yes Mary-it is indeed freedom. So much weight is lifted when you take the paranoia of being under the influence out of a situation. It's nice to just laugh at your sober self.
              :flower: Change a life; make someone feel important. ................. ........................ ..................... ........................ ................. ....... sigpic

Comment

Mistakes

Mary - great thread!! Yes, I so agree with everything said here - isn't it just lovely to be free!!!!!!!
                Onwards and upwards!
                F xx
                :heart: c: :heart:
                "Be patient and gentle with yourself - the magic is in you."

Comment

Working...
                X