Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BOOZE BUSTERS 30 DAY CHALLENGE - 8/29 NEW THREAD!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finding My Feet;192353 wrote: . . . . . saw a former occasional customer of mine having his first 'pop' of the morning as he used to call it. It was 10 am. l don't think he's that old (55?) but addled to be sure and he used to admit it. He didn't recognise me but I watched him shake and sip and shake and sip and gaze out of unseeing eyes. I felt sad for him but grateful in a way he will never know for reminding me of those first sips to 'get the day going' , whatever time of day... It was as if I could taste it with him and remember the sensation of feeling better...than....(awful). And I realised that I really have reached a place of never wanting to feel that 'than' again. I also don't want to feel 'better' than I do sober. No amount of 'feeling better' that comes with a drink is as good as just feeling good or ok.

Finding xx :h
    Whoa, what a lesson to remember! I never progressed to the point where I had to have a morning drink, but know I was headed down that road . . . sigh of relief that I WILL NOT, NO NEVER, BE GOING THERE. As you said, there's nothing as good as the feeling good that comes w being sober.

MM - Boy, you are ENTITLED to whine! What a royal screw up. Are you always in such constant pain? Does it get better/worse at times? I am a real believer in acupuncture, have had it for several different injuries and it was amazing. Have never been to a chiropractor. Hope something helps, and you don't have consider more surgury. One good thing about being AF, is that it helps w the hot flushes - I don't really get them anymore. So tell your hubby there is hope! Wish we could launch ourselves through cyber space and arrive at your doorstep to help you w the move - do you have help? Are you hiring movers to do the heavy stuff? Hope all goes well, and your pain eases soon. :h

Hey DG! Look, I figured it out, Well, kinda. What I had to do was actually print a pic and then scan it. Course, you lose some in the transition, but I still think it looks pretty good, don't you. NOW you guys are in trouble, I am a flower pic freak, prepare to be assaulted! These are still blooming, by the way, although on their last legs now.

Congrats on the jeans thing! You are obviously tightening up those muscles, and now you are going to find Mr. Scale starts to be a little nicer. What's obviously been happening is that you have been putting on muscles (which wieghs more than fat, explains why the needle hasn't been moving down much yet) BUT EVEN BETTER - now that you have all that lovely muscle your metabolism is burning overtime - now the weight WILL start to come off. There, I just made your day - you may thank me now!

Hubby is home. :huggy He was just gone long enough that I enjoyed the quiet time, but not so long that I began missing him terribly. He's off to bed already, worn out - get this - because some of the guys wanted to go carousing last night. I think hubby prob did have some wine w supper, but not much - so he appointed himself designated driver. They ate at the Sawmill. Next to the Sawmill is a "Gentlemen's Club". I'm sure I don't have to tell you that the name is a laugh.

Anyways, that's where the vote took them. Hubby isn't into this sort of thing!!! (I tell him it's because he knows he already has the best there is at home) (HA!). Anyways, he said they were sitting there, and these women were walking around half naked, and asking them if they wanted to go into another room and they would "dance" privately for them. Hubby said, "Um, no thanks". She said, well, why not? Hubby said (prob sinking lower and lower in his chair) "Um, er, I just don't wanna". I'm sure the other guys were killing themselves laughing at this point!

I always figure it's a good thing when he comes home and tells me about this sort of thing, right? Am I right? Wellllll???????

LindZee - The one thing that still seems very strange in my new AF life is going out for supper w my hubby and not having any wine. We've tried it a few times, and it's just not the same. So I guess enough time hasn't passed yet. So we find we are doing more BBQ at home, and that sort of thing instead. And that's fine. So you prob were wise to say that you weren't all that hungry, and wait a while to try that particular test.

I just realized tonight after I came home from work that my first thought is no longer to go to the fridge and pour myself that first glass of wine of the evening. Don't even think about it anymore. Wow!

Londoner - How'd the massage go? I've only had one massage in my life, when I had strained a muscle lifting something at work - and wondered why on earth I had waited so long! This Christmas season, when work gets absolutely nuts (I'm a Post Master) I am going to schedule a few of them ahead of time. Congrats on Day 12!

Well, this is turning into a book, so will just say hi to Rustop61, Rob, (always enjoy your posts) Lllaclover (we are always here for you), and anyone else to follow. Let's keep on racking up those beautiful Booze Free AF days!

Be sure to pop into Doggygirl's 60 day AF party tomorrow, everyone!

Shouting Loud & Proud!

:award: + ********** ********** Attached files [img]/converted_files/325236=1794-attachment.jpg[/img]
    The furture lies before you like newly fallen snow - be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Comment

Hannah-Deb. Your posts are so cool! I think hubby sounds lovely and telling you all about it sounds A-OK to me!

Yup, 'the morning drink need' was the beginning of the end - it lasted about 2 weeks and then I woz 'ere!!! Even just 'touching it' will be a shame I must leave at the bottom of the pond and jsut be grateful that I could stop it. Peter - and all the millions of folk who do it for donkey's years....ooo-er! Scary! Never say never eh? As in here for me, the vomiting phobia that took me to drink actually saved me!! No more mornings feeling like that thank you! WooHoo!!

MM - really thinking of you for the move and so hope the pain in reducing a little bit. I guess the stress of it all is adding to the tension and adding to the pain... There is nothing more annoying than hearing, 'just relax' (!!?!?!) when you're where you are at the moment so I wont!....but I sure wish I could say something to help!!! Here's a hand or two to cheer anyways...:fingers: :applaud: :armsaround:. (Hope the extra 5 hands can help lift a few boxes!)

LZ - going out (rare!) has become easier for me. I find being at a 'do' (rare!) is weird cos of the smell!! That stuff stinks!! (Eeeeek...!) I hope it gets easier for you too. It was when the guilt and constant inner-examination of 'Can I do this? What if? I have a problem - can every one see it?' stopped. Now I'm just me and I amazed just how many folk don't drink!! I was obviously in a minority all the time... another eeeek!!!! Good Luck!

Good luck to all. Have a great day. I'm off to clear up (a bit!) for the inspection on Monday. Grrrr - sod 'em. I'll clear for me and my family but not some *$#+?@* on an ego trip!!! The house is fine, safe, undamaged, looked after (under the cr*p which has bubble wrapped it I think!!!) and be left immaculate when I leave, as I always do, so there!!! (As in always leave houses tidy not always leave...well...one day Dog willing...!!)

Fog just burning off here (ah... season of mists and mellow fruitfulness...) and I've a 'slept wrong headache' which will pass I am sure when I get moving (hmmm, MM I am thinking of you - I have no worries!) But this evening it's our town Carnival and I'm 'pushing the trolley' (of drinks and valuables/handbags) for a pal's Samba troupe as they cavort through town with their huge band! They're all be itsy-witsy-teeny-bikini clad with HHUUGGEE feathered head gear and I'll be right between the band and them!! Should be cool!! I'm too 'sashay lightly'.....you try and stop me!!!!! I'm to wear black and gold and they'll stick some feathers on my head - it's turning inot the year of the head-wear for me I think!! I'm to meet them in our studio where they're dressing (I share it with the artist dancing pal) for an array of lethal imbibations (Tequila etc...) at 5pm....not worried. Never needed the old booze when there was latin music and dancing anyway and certainly wont be going there tonight!!!!!! Watch my hips - woh-hay!!!!!

Right, time to stop procrastinating (just fun here!). DG - party up!!! Hope the training and afters goes/went well.

Love all round
      Finding xx
      :heart: c: :heart:
      "Be patient and gentle with yourself - the magic is in you."

Comment

Multiples of 5

Well, life has been fun for me over the past few days!

Firstly, I got my husband to put a small bet on a pop group winning a big music prize here in the UK (a friend of a friend of a friend used to go out with one of the band) So he put 5 pounds sterling to win at 7/1 (they weren't the favourites) and yes you've guessed it they won. Next thing, I weighed myself properly for the first time since going AF total detox 13 days ago and guess what? yep! I have lost 5 pounds in weight! This morning, I checked my premium bonds and..I had won not 5, not 50, but 150 pounds!! It's gonna be one hell of a massage! Am waiting to book it at the moment as guess what, my husband rang up his health club and managed to talk them into giving me 5 free passes to enjoy (they usually cost ?20 each, so feel like I have been given another 100 pounds sterling!!)
        So no massage yet, but a truly wonderful steam and jacuzzi today!

To cap it all, I came home, got talking to a builder, and he is going to solve my storage problems-I could have kissed him as it is so hard to get decent guys in the city who understand your mad ideas and are happy to make them a reality and who won't rip you off in the process. Oh Happy Day!

I can hardly believe my good fortune-on the other hand with self-esteem going up up up, I can accept that these good things are happening to me!

love to all from me on Day 13 - hope weekend isn't too big a challenge for everyone-keep smiling!
        :happy:
        IS MILIS FION,ACH IS SEARBH A IOC
        Wine is sweet, but paying for it is bitter

Comment

Holy Cow Londoner, I'm gonna get on the next plane so I can come and rub up against you and get some of that good luck juju!! How wonderful!! Love it when the good stuff rolls in.

Just a quick check in before I go prep some food for the big family reunion. No doggie, I'm not hosting, just one of the very few sober attendees. We are of course expecting rain this afternoon, the first in a couple of weeks but I think the place where the event will be held has a shelter house.

Y'all have a great AF day. Will try to stop back this evening.

Love and Peace
          Rob

Comment

Hi everyone. Wow Londoner your luck is really in. Must be all the positive vibes, hope it rubs off on the rest of us. Day 8 for me and delighted to have the first full week over. Physical cravings in check due to a combination of things, supplements, cd's, this board, mental attitude etc. Still dealing with the psychological ones and every day brings a new challenge. Hope you all enjoy the rest of the week-end.

Rustop

Comment

Hello All,
              Indigosky here hoping to join and take the challenge. My start date was September 4th and I've been sober since then. It was a really rough few days and moods are still swinging but inbetween I am starting to have some serene moments. It's been a long time since I've felt that way. Little things annoy me quite easily and sleep isn't what it should be but I know this is just the beginning. I just came across this site today and am very hopeful that after so much of my life wasted in alcoholism (off and on...much more on)
              that I can really make it this time. I was on Topamax 4 years ago and it really helped but it was prescribed for my bi-polar disorder and my insurance wouldn't pay for it anymore because they said that wasn't it's primary purpose and there were other things to try. I fought it but lost. I brought to my Psychiatrists attention that this med is helpful in reducing cravings in alcoholism and he disputed it. I have read the articles...he just doesn't bother keeping up and thinks his patients don't know anything and shouldn't have the wits to help themselves. I will bring him an article but I'm sure it will fall on deaf ears. Maybe I'll have better luck with my primary doctor. I just hadn't really wanted to share my relapse that's gone on for many years. Hope I haven't rambled on about so much to start out. Hope to make some friends and recieve and offer any support that I can. So long for now.

Comment

hey all just checking in briefly. so happy i made a hair appt so as my treat i get to wash that grey right out of my hair and pretend to be all blonde. hahahahaa hope everyone is having a great weekend. i think it is the afing but wow am i depressed. whooooosh really sensitive, depressed and gosh will the clouds lift? lol and i really allowed myself a good ol fashioned cry and just threw on some music and danced. a little cardio to help my spirits. i don't even like my husband at the moment. feeling like i don't recognize myself at all. so very odd. but maybe if i continue afing i'll recognize what i've been sitting on top of for awhile. hummm. maybe a movie would be good too. something mindless. hope you all are well and so happy londoner you having such a hoot of a time. nice nice winnings. massage sounds so good. haven't had one for a while now. must put that on list.
                :welcome:

Comment

Made it through day 4!

Good afternoon everyone! I just had to post that I am SO proud of myself today.

Last night we didn't feel like cooking so even though I was hesitant I decided to put myself to the test and go out to eat. We just went to Chili's a chain here in the US. We had to wait for a table and sat at the bar while we waited. Now normally I like to have a margarita at Chili's. They have this Presidente' Margarita which they serve in a little shaker along with the salted margarita glass & you get about 2 delicious refreshing drinks in that shaker. We sat down and my husband ordered a beer. And (drum roll please ) I ordered a Diet Coke! Up until the second I said the words "diet coke" I wasn't sure what I was going to do. Out of sheer habit I almost ordered a margarita but I ordered the coke! And the world didn't come to an end.

We had a very nice dinner. We talked and exchanged stories about our day. We people- watched and laughed. We didn't have any snippy arguments because one of us said something stupid under the influence. It was nice. Hubby had one more small sized glass of beer and that was it. We went home and I finished a good book I was reading (The Glass Castle) and he watched the Cubs game and didn't have anything else to drink. In the past we would have had proceeded onto the wine and woke up with a huge headache today. Instead I feel wonderful.

I just wanted to tell you that I could never done that without the support here at MWO. I would have had a margarita or two and figured I'd just get back on track Monday. But joining this challenge and commiting myself to 30 days made all the difference. I am so glad to be here! Thank you so much!

LZ. on day 5 AF

Comment

Hey All- Glad to see that as busy as everyone is this weekend, we're all finding time to check in.

Welcome Indiogsky!! Please do not worry about sharing your story with us. We've all had our ups and downs with alcohol over the years and have come here together because we've decided that we're done with the alcohol induced downs and are ready to get on with our lives. So come on in, read, share, laugh, cry and ask for whatever help you need from us.

FMF- What I would pay for a pic of you Samba-ing with the drinks cart. That would be a million dollar photo. Glad you had such a great time with friends!

LZ- You are just way too cool! I honestly don't know that I could have sat at the bar day 5and not ordered that margarita. I've had those at Chili's and you are a much better woman than I on day 5.

Bootcamp- Hmmm "I'm gonna wash that grey right outa my hair", let me guess, you are not in your 20's. I hope your depression lifts quickly. Some of it probably is AFing, both physical and psychological. I can't remember (big surprise) if you said if you are taking any supps or meds. I did have a really, really tough 2 weeks just after I quit. Which is a pretty good incentive to keep me from starting up again.

Rus- Congrats on day 8, you sound so very positive and upbeat.

Hannah - Hahaha!! Loved the hubby story, sounds like something mine would do. Get dragged to a strip club and sit there twiddling his thumbs. Look at it this way. Why spend good money on "that" when he's got the best at home for free (relatively speaking).

OhDoggie, OhDoggie --I wonder if she got lost with her new camera and that pirate guy.

Hope everyone else is well. The family reunion went fine, hand an intersting chat with a cousin who has traced the family tree back to the 1700's found out that my ancestry is Swiss not German.

Everyone remember to stop by tomorrow and wish Chief a big congrats on his 30 days!!

Love and Peace
                    Rob

Comment

Good Day All

Well, Saturday is just about done. Hope everybody had a good AF day. Mine was pretty uneventfull, cleaned house and shopped, that's about it!

DG must be having a very good time w her camera - and where is Satori? He has been MIA for a few days too. Don't make us send out a search party!!!!:sup:

Indigosky - Welcome. Your would be on day 4, going into 5? The first while is the hardest, eventually you will sleep better, and the cravings lessen. Hopefully you can manage to get some Topa, don't know much about it but some find it helps them. Be sure to log in here regulariy, we are a little goofy here and it all helps lessen the load!:welcome:

Rustop61 - over the 1 week hurdle! Congrats!

Rob - Glad reunion went well. It was interesting what you said about your ancestry - mine is similar. Used to think we were German, but may have originally come from Sweden. How about that. Hey - I'm losing track - how many days AF are you now?

LindZee - glad you supper out went well! It turned out to be a very positive things for you, and that's great. Sounds like things are going very well for you. Has hubby noticed/figured out that you have gone AF yet?

Anna - Whatta day! My goodness, you should have run right out and bought a major lottery ticket, w the winning streak you are on. Isn't it nice to have a really spectacular day once in a while? And add on to that the fact that you are not only sober, but skinnier! Yahoo!!! I am always skinnier when not drinking too, one more incentive to keep on kickin the Booze Beast in the teeth!

FMF - Well, have you shaken your booty and bobbed your feathers to your complete satisfaction? What a hoot! Bet you had the BEST time!:H

Hi Bootcamp. Sorry you are feeling so down. There is certainly an adjustment to going AF, beyond the cravings. You are almost mourning the loss, so to speak, of your best friend. It takes a lot of time and adjustment to being without your constant companiion. But trust me, you do get there. I am at 51 days now, and hardly even think about drinking anymore. It helps if you keep yourself busy - you will notice a lot of talk about cleaning out closets, taking up new hobbies - these are good things, keep your mind and hands busy.

Well, gonna call it a night. It's Chief's big 30 day celebration tomorrow, be sure to join the fun!

LOUD & PROUD:

:award: + ********* ********** *
                      The furture lies before you like newly fallen snow - be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Comment

Gosh Hannah, I've lost count. Maybe I'll go back later today and try to figure it out

Comment

Quick check in and and a grand helloooo.. It's been a rough few days. Friday my DH smashed his finger at work and had to have surgery.. took the top right off - YUK! Bad timing with the move and all.. But, I just started moving boxes slow and it's going fine. I am EXHAUSTED, though!! We have the movers coming on Thrusday, so I am just moving over all the breakables, etc. My back and pain is feeling better - whew! So, all and all I am remaining calm and not taking anything too serious..

I hope you all are having a wonderful weekend and I'll check in tomorrow!

Namaste,

MM
                          Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Comment

Wow, what a quiet thread this is today! MM, glad you are not in so much pain, but too bad about DH's finger, That's gotta hurt!

Hope everyone had a good AF weekend, prob not too many nice ones left before winter in this part of the woods.

:wave:

Comment

Let's get this party started!

Good morning, my friends!

Well, what a difference a day makes! I feel so much less stressed today. Well I did get 12 hours of sleep last night! I guess I was exhausted.. It has been a rough past week, but it's almost over. Anyway, I am really excited about my new pad! My master suite has a deck with view of the mountains - I can picture myself there having morning tea with my book! The whole house has views from every window. So, it is worth it and I can now see the fruits of our labors. We will be finished by Thursday, but I feel so much better about it all. Poor DH?s finger is another story, though. That is going to just take time. It?s his middle finger (little chuckle). He is a good sport, but it?s hard for him to watch me work and not be able to help. Good thing it?s football season!

Hi Hannah! ? Saw you yesterday?That is funny about your husband! My DH is the same way. He said he doesn?t like to go to those places because he doesn?t know where to put his hands! What a dork! But he?s my dork.. J

DG How?s the camera? You are my inspiration for working out! I am not going to look at the evil scale for at least 3 weeks, though. It just frustrates me too much. I will be heading back to the gym next Monday after the move is complete. Getting enough of a workout right now! Congrats again for 60 days!!!

Chief ? Congrats again on your 30 days!! We are so close in number of AF days, it?s been such an inspiration to watch you. Way to go taming that beast!

FMF ? Thank you for your kind words and lending me a ?hand?! That story about your friend and the morning drink was poignant! I never did drink in the morning, or really during the day. But I did make up for it in the evening! It is a really good reminder of what it can do. Thank you for sharing that with us.

LZ ? Still don?t go out too much yet. I dodged night last Thursday out at the last minute because I was thinking about the wine too much that day. It really depends on the day. I was really stressed, so I thought I better not. I definitely can go out without a problem now and not drink, but if I am at all shaky, I know to pass.. So good for you for knowing!

Rob ? Good on you for making it through the family reunion? Boy that can be a big trigger for me.. Actually I love family reunions, just not mine! Hope you had a great time! Nice Zwinky!

Indigosky ? Haven?t had a chance to day Hello! Is this your day 6 or 7? Well, I am glad you are here. Have you tried Melatonin for sleep? I use the 3mg sublingual tablets. They work wonders!!

Rustop61 ? Day 10? Double digits ? yeah!

Anna ? Lucky Londoner, I should say! Wow, that was an amazing string of events! Happy day 15, right?

Hi to July - Lilac ? Beeno ? Out ? Bootcamp Barbie (LOVE the name), and anyone else I forgot!

Day 24 AF LOUD AND PROUD!

MM
                              Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Comment

Hi MM,

I'm so glad to see you're feeling better and that you stayed AF.

Hi to everyone else!

I'm having lots of problems with my new PC and VISTA ... it is only allowing me access to internet for a short time as it thinks I have a pirated copy ... I wouldnt know, I got the PC from a reseller ... and seeing tomorrow. . I have written 3 messages only for it to shut down and no post appears. Hopefully all will be resolved soon.

So very quick message and then a long one from work tomorrow.

Am on Day 15 AF ... will post tomorrow,

Benno

Comment

Working...
                                X