Wed. - Oct. 24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wed. - Oct. 24

Hi Everyone: I'm just beginning day 19. It feels great to be sober for a fairly long period of time. Because I had accumulated quite a few AF days even before this AF run, I feel that the alcohol has completely left my system, & my brain is readjusting itself.

I've been looking at the thinking that gets me drinking. I know now that the romantic fantasies of drinking that are portrayed in the ads & TV are just that: fantasies. The reality for me is throwing up, headaches, & shame.

My real demon is the escapist drinking. There are times when I just don't want to live w/myself & in my world. I feel that drinking offers me an escape.
    -I'm working on getting through difficult situations AF & coming out the other side.
    -I'm working on resolving conflicts instead of putting them off.
    -I'm working on learning to take care of myself so that I don't need alcohol in order to rest.

If anyone has other ways they prevent that "I need, need, need a drink" feeling, feel free to share it here. Love, Mary
    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
    October 3, 2012

Wed. - Oct. 24

wow Mary! Amen! Your clarity and self-reflection and honesty and determination continue to be an inspiration.... truly........

thanks for sharing it all-

wonder xx

Comment

Wed. - Oct. 24

Mary,

I am working on dealing with anxiety without alcohol. This is my sticky point.

I am truly considering learning meditation. My doctor says it is a very good exercise because it is really learning to listen to your body and your mind and figuring out how to control them. Kind of like bio-feedback.

Tonight I am going to come back to my hotel room and read up on meditation and give it a try.

My new thought, "Alcohol makes my anxiety worse. Worse than that, alcohol prevents me from learning how to deal with everyday normal situations that cause anxiety."

Cindi
      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Wed. - Oct. 24

Cindi: I agree that drinking to cope prevents us from learning how to really cope. Yes, it increases anxiety, because it puts off the inevitable: dealing w/difficult situations & emotions. These are the types of things I (as an alcoholic) must learn to do all over again. Thanks for that reminder. Mary
        Wisdom, Courage, Strength
        October 3, 2012

Comment

Wed. - Oct. 24

Good morning Abbers!

I love your post Mary. 19 days, way to go!

wonder - a hello to you.

Cindi - anxiety SUCKS. Ever since my problems with alcohol and 'educating' myself about it, I cannot believe how many people in this world suffer from anxiety. It was mentioned to me back in January by xtexan (Neil), meditation really helps. Of course I haven't tried it yet myself, but it really helps one relax. You are doing great BTW. White knuckles and all ;-)

Tis' a rainy day here today. Yesterday we actually had a BEAUTIFUL sunny day - so took advantage of it. I really believe I am out of my 'funk' that I had been in the last week and a half. No more cravings......... so more intense sadness and frustration. WHEW! Glad that dip in emotions went away fast.

Have a great day all!

Comment

Wed. - Oct. 24

Late check in for garlic breath! whew! I'm attempting to do carpentry today and have the scars to prove it

very nice Mary, love the days kick-start.

for me it's just reprogramming through repetition. we are trying to change a deeply engrained middle-brain function...something not changed overnight. so if we understand that and don't be frustrated....it WILL change for the better. Well done BTW!

and a big yes to the meditation. Great idea.

be well everyone....zooom zooooom
            nosce te ipsum
            (Know Thyself)

Comment

Working...
            X