day 16-question for ya'll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hey guys. day 16 for me. I barely crave alcohol now, except when I go out to dinner or on a Fri or Sat when everyone around me is goin out partying. i plan on tryin hard to moderate after this month is over. my plan of moderation is to try to drink once or twice a week, and that is it. and try hard to not drink fast. maybe to have water in between each drinks. because i plan on only really drinking at bars, not at home anymore. i hope it works, but im somewhat doubtful, knowing i am a genetically born alcoholic!!
    Two questions for you guys...

1.how has moderation worked for those of you who stopped for a month and tried to moderate?

2. After three to four weeks AF, and you go and have a drink, does it feel different?

:thanks:

hey 145,

after a few weeks af it feels totally differet to me.. if i drink i think 'i don't feel anything' 'this is wierd.. how did this ever have a hold over me??' and so i do not notice it creeping up on me. After a few I'm sort of back into it and the following day it's the old craving & bingeing thing again.

That is me personally.. I think i have a thing with sugar. IF i go on a no-carbs diet I lose all cravings. however going to a wedding or something and having a drink.. is a BIG mistake for me.

I think moderation is hard work for me purely because of that.. for others it's different.
    Congrats on day 16!!

Comment

wow, i also have problems with sugar. there could be alot of truth to the whole nutritional, and gentic reasons for problems with alcohol in people! so what are you doing? moderation or abstinence?

Comment

1. I have stopped for 30+ days a number of times. Unfortunately, it's always the same evolution back to distructive drinking.

2. Feels great at first and then.....the usual stupid s--t sets in.

I'm sure it works for some but I think they're few and far between. I hope you're one of those few. Good luck...

Comment

Hi me. I was feeling really good after 60 days AF. I decided to have a drink on a gorgeous, sunny Saturday after dog training, when several of the people who train with us have a beer. I had 3 drinks I think - way less than my previous levels. So yes, it affected me more (or seemed to). I also felt craptactular the next morning, and couldn't even imagine having a drink that Sunday!

Within a matter of a few days, I was back to drinking daily, with "noon somewhere" coming early again, back to the rut. And now I'm having a REALLY hard time climbing back on the wagon.

If you really think you might be one of us who truly can't moderate, or a moderator that will have to really work hard to keep control (where the effort isn't worth the drink), then I would urge you to consider keeping your AF status. I sure wish I had. If I had known then what I know now......

DG
          Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
          Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

hey guys. even with the supplements you guys had a hard time moderating after the af period? i was af for three weeks, drank a few glasses of wine on thanksgiving. its saturday night now. no drinks since thanksgiving.... however i dont know about me especially with moderating. my biggest problem was not being able to stop till i was real drunk. anway, so even withthe supplements u guys couldnt do it?

Comment

I'll tell you - I tried to CONVINCE myself I could moderate for 4 years. I would be good in the beginning but eventually I would go back to my wicked ways. Isn't that what this disease is about? It took so much energy to space my drinks, set times I allowed myself to drink, only drank certain drinks that I wanted to pull my hair out. Too much effort that eventually I would always slip back. Then again-does any "normal" person set such rules regarding drinking on a daily basis?

So when it sunk in that I can't moderate-I quit. And even that was a battle in itself. That took me another 4 years to get me to where I am now.

I wish you luck. For me, alcohol is just a pain in the butt. I don't drink-it causes no problems, I have no worries, I have no anxiety with it.
              :flower: Change a life; make someone feel important. ................. ........................ ..................... ........................ ................. ....... sigpic

Comment

hi Me, I went 94 days and blew it this year with lots of meds and all. then I went 100 days and modded successfully for only two weeks and blamo all over again. I think Breez is right.
                ...just isn't worth it. At least not for myself and so many of us. One really dissapointing thing I noticed when I fell off the wagon is the drink really didn't taste very good and the buzz feeling felt really bad and not good like it was in the early years. like an old creepy feeling coming back to haunt me....yuck!
                be well and post much.
                nosce te ipsum
                (Know Thyself)

Comment

yeah.. just a quick post.. i fell again yesterday.. today... there is no thrill to it any more.. just a kinda numb thing and feeling of disgust & crap i the morning... am gearing up to go AF again.. that is life.. this is not! REALLY got to get into the right head space again!

Once you've found your wings it's hard to lose them!! But never forget they are there waiting for you!!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X